UKC

Photo copyright question

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 aln 02 May 2024

I've recently had access to some photos taken by a Scottish climbing legend, and there might be more to come. I don't think they've been published before, and whilst not being spectacular photos, some may be of historical interest. Might be worth posting here. 

The situation is, climber A takes photos of climber B, then gives the prints to climber B. They're in climber B's possession till his death, then they pass to a family member. Climber A has also died. If the family member gives me permission to post the photos, can I do so, or do I have to seek permission from the family of climber A?

Post edited at 18:23
 timparkin 02 May 2024
In reply to aln:

Officially they remain copyright of the estate of Climber A (until 70 years after their death). If you're planning on sharing them, I doubt you'll get in any trouble (and even if you do, a cease and desist would be the worst case in the UK). 

If you plan to make money out of them, get in touch with the family. To be polite, get in touch with them anyway.

Tim

OP aln 02 May 2024
In reply to timparkin:

Thank you. No plans whatsoever to profit from the photos. Like I said, I think they could be of historical interest for the climbing community. 

OP aln 02 May 2024
In reply to timparkin:

> To be polite, get in touch with them anyway.>

I did think that, but it could be tricky. 

timparkin 03 May 2024
In reply to aln:

I honestly think it won't be an issue and they likely won't know. Unless they're famous and have a litigious family, I'd just do it.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...