UKC

Soft shoes for volumes

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 mutt 17 May 2024

Recommend me a shift shoe for heeling onto and standing on inclined volumes at the bouldering wall please

Tom Briggs 17 May 2024
In reply to mutt:

Scarpa Veloce Lace. Ridiculously soft, unbelievably comfortable. 

AlanLittle 17 May 2024
In reply to Tom Briggs:

+1. I'm on my third pair of Veloces, would like to try the lace up version next if I can find somewhere that stocks them.

bouldery bits 17 May 2024
In reply to mutt:

Veloces

Mantras (which I love)

afx22 17 May 2024
In reply to mutt:

You need to try a good few on.  I get on with Mantras but have got on with plenty of other soft shoes, such as Dragos, Hi Angle Pro, etc in the past.  The Mantras stand out for me because of the no edge thing (sensitivity) and narrow heel.

Wooj 19 May 2024
In reply to mutt:

Boreal ninja. Got two pairs of the new style. Very soft and flexible. You need strong toes if you’re standing on jibs but for volumes they are perfect. 

midgen 19 May 2024
In reply to mutt:

Ocun Bullit are a good option too.

OP mutt 23 May 2024
In reply to Tom Briggs:

> Scarpa Veloce Lace. Ridiculously soft, unbelievably comfortable. 

i took a quick look at the veloces a go od last night. They seem to ha e a significant bend to them which I associate with tight fitting edging.  Is this the case or can I wear them effectively without a tight fit?  They were indeed very soft. Perhaps I actually need to go a try then out rather than just look at them!

Tom Briggs 23 May 2024
In reply to mutt:

If you mean, the toe looks quite 'downturned' then I would say they work well on steep ground where you want to 'pull in' with your toe, because they're so flexible and sensitive. On slabs (or sloping volumes) you can easily stand with a completely flat foot i.e. all of the rubber on the front of the shoe is in contact with the hold. What they don't work on at all is small edges.

A note on sizing - they size half a size down from most other Scarpa climbing shoes. You don't have to fit them too tight and I don't find they stretch much, but a 43.5 is probably equivalent to a 44 in my other Scarpa climbing shoes (VC and VC-R).

OP mutt 23 May 2024
In reply to Tom Briggs:

Thank you for the advice. Much appreciated

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...