UKC

Climbing sac about 20 litres

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 bpmclimb 05 May 2024

What are the best climbing sacs currently available, around the 20 litre size? For rock climbing, multi pitch trad and sport.

I've had a DMM Zenith for some years and it's showing its age. It's ok in use, although I find the zips a bit fiddly, and the fabric, although robust, wets out in a shower.

Thanks.

Danbow73 05 May 2024
In reply to bpmclimb:

I use a black diamond blitz 20 for this, it's pretty light and I've taken the foam out the back so it folds up tiny for when I'm taking a bigger sack to the base of the route 

PilkingtonD 05 May 2024
In reply to bpmclimb:

I've got a Blue Ice Chiru 25 that's been mega so far! Just about big enough for a sport rack, useful for bouldering but ultimately designed and thrives as a light and fast winter pack. Really low profile and light, and one of the most comfortable bags I've owned. Would highly recommend

AlanLittle 05 May 2024
In reply to bpmclimb:

I've found the Decathlon Simond 20L a pretty good budget option. 

Its only real drawback for rock routes, as opposed to ice/mixed, is that it's quite long in the back & so gets in the way of the chalk bag a bit.

scope 05 May 2024
In reply to bpmclimb:

Another vote for Simmond. Mine cost £18 years back. Has been used and abused and still going strong.

jezb1 05 May 2024
In reply to PilkingtonD:

> I've got a Blue Ice Chiru 25 that's been mega so far! Just about big enough for a sport rack, useful for bouldering but ultimately designed and thrives as a light and fast winter pack. Really low profile and light, and one of the most comfortable bags I've owned. Would highly recommend

I have the 32, the best pack of that type I’ve ever had. 

Clearly not as cheap as the likes of Simond kit of course…

kaiser 05 May 2024
In reply to bpmclimb:

OP a 20L pack for multipitch trad climbing?   R U Sure? 

Chapeau to your partner who carries the rope(s) and gear

scope 05 May 2024
In reply to scope:

I've just checked the Decathlon site, and they seem to have discontinued the Simond Cliff 20, and replaced it with something more expensive and not as good. Classic Decathlon.

Kryank 05 May 2024
In reply to kaiser:

I have a 20l Osprey Mutant that I use for multi pitch you can strap a rope on the top outside and I get half a rack (We split the rack between me and my climbing partner) inside easily leaving room for snacks / food and water. And it’s alot easier to climb with that a larger 30l bag.  It’s all subjective but I personally would not use a bigger bag than 20l for summer multipitch

Cheers
Ryan

OP bpmclimb 05 May 2024
In reply to kaiser:

> OP a 20L pack for multipitch trad climbing?   R U Sure? 

> Chapeau to your partner who carries the rope(s) and gear

I mean for the climbing itself. I have a much bigger pack for carrying everything to the crag.

Dave Cundy 06 May 2024
In reply to bpmclimb:

I use a home-made 25 litre pack for the same purpose on long routes, Brian.  I use it to carry my water bottle, food, guidebook, a jacket and my trainers.  Being a kind of soft-shell bag,  i can scrunch it up and store it at the top of my main sack during the walk-in.

DaveHK 06 May 2024
In reply to bpmclimb:

> I mean for the climbing itself. I have a much bigger pack for carrying everything to the crag.

https://www.expeduk.com/products/splash-15

Easily big enough, cheap and about as light as you'll get.

kaiser 06 May 2024
In reply to bpmclimb:

> I mean for the climbing itself. I have a much bigger pack for carrying everything to the crag.

Gotcha - that makes sense.

In reply to bpmclimb:

> I've had a DMM Zenith for some years and it's showing its age. It's ok in use, although I find the zips a bit fiddly, and the fabric, although robust, wets out in a shower.

From an environmental point of view, is getting a new bag cause the one you currently have has fiddly zips and fabric that wets out the best thing to do? Putting your clothes in a folded over carrier bag should keep the rain off out, and when the zip finally fails you can get a new one more guilt free.

OP bpmclimb 07 May 2024
In reply to sourthern_softy:

> From an environmental point of view, is getting a new bag cause the one you currently have has fiddly zips and fabric that wets out the best thing to do? Putting your clothes in a folded over carrier bag should keep the rain off out, and when the zip finally fails you can get a new one more guilt free.

You have a point, of course: consumerism and protecting the environment are poor bedfellows! However, second-guessing someone else's decision about when to replace an old item is a tricky business, especially when that person is a stranger, and more especially in the context of a web forum. It is always possible, of course, that someone will read a post such as yours and think "wow, I never thought of that, thanks very much", but I would suggest that, by and large, such posts come over as highly presumptuous, and only serve to irritate people without achieving anything useful. If confronting directly in this way, I would stick to people you know or, at least, confine it to face-to-face situations, where you have an opportunity to take the temperature of the room, so to speak.

Oscar Dodd 07 May 2024
In reply to bpmclimb:

I use an old arcteryx FL 30, but the old model which was actually about 20L without the roll top extension bit. I really like it and I've climbed pretty much up to my onsight limit with it on and like it and it sits nice and high out of the way of a chalk bag. The one thing I don't like is that the waist belt is sewn on to the straps rather than the bag itself, so when you clip it back, it pulls the straps slightly annoyingly out to the side (hard to explain). Also, my climbing partner and I both feel the cold a lot, so when we're both carrying big belay jackets it is slightly small as a bag between two. 

It carrys a rope and helmet well too - although I wouldn't mind some compression straps on the side to strap things down. All this being said - it retails for a silly price which it definitely isn't worth in my eyes, but they come up used semi often. 

It's wearing very well though and I'm not precious with my kit, and its been thrutched up a fair few chimneys. 

Nutty 07 May 2024
In reply to bpmclimb:

sourthern_softy has a fair point though, from your description it sounds like your issues could be solved by some zip lubricant and DWR spray, depending on what level of wear 'showing it's age' means. I don't think they deserve chewing out over a fairly innocuous comment.

PaulJepson 07 May 2024
In reply to bpmclimb:

Bit smaller than what you've stated but I like the https://alpkit.com/products/gnarl-15-litre-daypack for multi-pitch climbing. Fits a bottle of water, shoes and snacks in. It's very unobtrusive in terms of getting in the way (no hip belt, minimal straps/pockets/etc.)

jezb1 07 May 2024
In reply to bpmclimb:

Is bpm allowed to buy a new pack if he rehomes or repurposes the old pack?

Just checking.

Post edited at 13:52
 Max factor 07 May 2024
In reply to scope:

I have this Simond one, It's 22l and is excellent.  quite long back length, as someone else said.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/22-litre-mountaineering-backpack-alpinism-22-...

CantClimbTom 07 May 2024
In reply to kaiser:

Depends if you're a rope in the bag, or rucksack coil (backpack coil) kind of person?

Post edited at 14:21
 galpinos 07 May 2024
In reply to scope:

It looks better to me?

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/climbing-backpack-20-litres-rock-20-turquoise...

At east the rope carry looks like it might work?

Jon Greengrass 07 May 2024
In reply to bpmclimb:

Alpkit Gourdon 20, only 460g, simple roll top closure, properly waterproof.

cragtyke 07 May 2024
In reply to galpinos:

Decathlon rock 20

Used one of these in the dolomites last year. Rope strap and helmet carrier meant no need to take a bigger pack on the walk-ins. Large front pocket with velcro fastening is very useful, as are gear loops on the shoulder straps. Removable back pad means it can be squashed down to airline underseat bag size. Bladder pouch as well if needed. Drawstring top means jacket etc can be stuffed in, and will hold in excess of 20l.

Not perfect but close. Sure they were only £25 last year though.

Post edited at 16:13

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...