UKC

Yorkshire Dales - outdoor stuff for toddlers

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 Ramblin dave 04 May 2024

We're going to be in the Dales with friends next week, and we'll have a bunch of littlies aged from 11 months up to 4 years with us.

Has anyone got any recommendations for outdoor stuff to do that'll be fun for the small people? I think we're specifically after the sort of thing that feels a bit like going for a walk but with more emphasis on the kids being able to charge around and explore an exciting place rather than having to be marshalled around a predetermined five mile circuit or whatever. The ideas that I've already got are Brimham Rocks and Gordale Scar, if that helps, and I'm not particularly after suggestions of full-on "attractions" like castles, museums, zoos or whatever, if only because that sort of stuff's easier to research for ourselves.

We're staying near Grassington, don't mind driving a bit but less time in the car is always better.

Cheers!

In reply to Ramblin dave:

Somewhere like Burnsall is an easy spot for picnicking by the river and paddling if you have good weather, and not far from you. I also remember a nice walk along the river out of the village (towards Grassington in fact) that led to some fun limestone rock pools. Caveat that that was in August so I don't know with the current river height and I can't speak for safety for very tiny people, but you can just stay on the path rather than play, if you're sensible! 

Lankyman 05 May 2024

Near to Grassington is the Stump Cross Caverns showcave. I remember going there as a kid. The little gorge above Conistone, Conistone Dib is interesting and you can go and top out on Conistone Pie summit (summit). You can park on the bridge over the Wharfe. If you don't mind a short  drive, Norber Erratics near Austwick are like a natural sculpture park that the kids could be let loose in. There's a nice waterfall in Posforth Gill on the way up to Simon's Seat summit (summit). Just north of Grassington is the atmospheric gorge of Troller's Gill. Just watch out for the large, spectral dog.

Bingers 05 May 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

> If you don't mind a short  drive, Norber Erratics near Austwick are like a natural sculpture park that the kids could be let loose in. 

There is a great children's play ground at Austwick, where you can park without blocking up local's lanes.  As well as the Erratics, there is a nice flat circular walk from there including clapper bridges which seem exciting to youngsters and allow for "fishing" opportunities or a little paddle in relative safety for that age.

The old lime kiln at Langcliffe is exciting for that age as it is like a big circular tunnel with loads of exits all the way around to let in light or to let out those who have had enough.  Next to the Settle Carlisle railway line, so there is potential of seeing a passing train from very close quarters.

Grass Wood near (walking distance) to Grassington is good for just charging around or den building and should be in bluebell bloom at the moment.  Bottom half goes down to the river.  An adult could drive down to the woods, walk back and then you have an "emergency" vehicle if some legs are too tired to walk back again.

Post edited at 10:03
 HardenClimber 05 May 2024

You could look at doing Penyghent from Dalehead...some nice benign rock steps for 'safe' scrambling.

Langstrothdale has some easy parking above Yockenthwaite and a very nice bit of river to mess in.

Lots of good suggestions in the thread.

Trollers Gill (Appletreewick) is fun. Some mine entrances to look in too.

Twiggy Diablo 05 May 2024

Yourdas cave near Ingleton is great.

Its totally safe to explore on your own and you can do a bit of a dry ghyll scramble starting just outside the entrance which 4 year olds can easily manage

Lankyman 05 May 2024
In reply to Twiggy Diablo:

> Yourdas cave near Ingleton is great.

> Its totally safe to explore on your own and you can do a bit of a dry ghyll scramble starting just outside the entrance which 4 year olds can easily manage

Yordas Cave is fine with good torches I would agree. However, heading up the gill with children isn't recommended at all. There's a 25m open shaft - Yordas Pot - where kids and dogs should be on a very tight leash. There are other openings on the way as well which drop into the Yordas streamway. Explore round the Main Chamber of the cave and look into the adjacent Chapter House waterfall and you'll have a memorable time.

EdS 07 May 2024

If you go to Brimham you could feed them at The Pancake House in Pateley bridge 

johnlc 07 May 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

Yes - one more vote for Conistone Dib - delightful at any age but especially for little people.

Lankyman 07 May 2024
In reply to johnlc:

>delightful at any age but especially for little people.

I have to counter this with the time I took my young nephew and niece to Yordas Cave. As we approached I'd told them about the child-devouring Norse giant who the cave was (according to Wainwright) named after. I reassured my niece that those bones over there were probably just a rabbit. She didn't seem completely happy. Neither of them became enthusiastic cavers.

alan moore 07 May 2024

The big art instillation at Coldstone Cut would be great fun with a toddler; big, spiral alleyways to run around...

johnlc 07 May 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

Hells Bells!  You might have scarred them for life!

When my kids were little we went to The Strid at Bolton Abbey.  My son was getting very active and was at the stage when he was keen to test boundaries so we gave him a very blunt description of the potential dangers of falling in The Strid.  He cried and wouldn't let go of my hand the whole time he was there.

Lankyman 07 May 2024
In reply to johnlc:

That's the spirit! I was told about Jimmy Greenteeth who lurked in the weeds of the canal and would drag me down to a horrible death. I've never swum in a canal since.

EdS 09 May 2024
In reply to alan moore:

Knob of the North as its know in the the Dale

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...