UKC

Study exploring shoe rubber influence on air quality at climbing walls

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 smbnji 03 May 2024

Pretty interesting study recently published about the poor air quality of indoor climbing walls (potentially) caused by the rubber particles from climbing shoes.

N.B. the paper has not yet been peer reviewed.

https://chemrxiv.org/engage/api-gateway/chemrxiv/assets/orp/resource/item/6...

cragtyke 04 May 2024
In reply to smbnji:

Gosh, I never realised climbing could be so dangerous.

plyometrics 04 May 2024
In reply to smbnji:

Looks like a smear campaign to me. 

OP smbnji 04 May 2024
In reply to cragtyke:

You think indoor walls are dangerous?? Interesting... 

Personally I'd always assumed the amount of chalk dust floating around could cause some sort of short term respiratory problem, however I never considered that the rubber particulates could be at dangerous levels.

> Similar to dust, concentrations in the collected aerosol PM samples were very high compared to other atmospheric environments for most RDCs (Rubber Derived Compounds)

>  PPDs and PPDqs concentrations in the respirable fraction were higher than those measured in Chinese megacities and similar to roadside sites and city centres in China during air pollution events.

> Concentrations of DPG, BTZ, and 2OH-BTZ in aerosol PM samples were one or two orders of magnitude higher than in 18 megacities worldwide and BTZ and 2OH-BTZ were up to 10-fold above concentrations from industrial areas in Spain

If I was spending >8hrs a day working in an environment like this, I'd consider some PPE.

It could also bring better awareness to the importance of adequate ventilation in an indoor climbing environment, which also wouldn't be a bad thing (imo).

In reply to plyometrics:

Oooh edgy! 

ripper 04 May 2024
In reply to smbnji:

Hang on, are we saying that when it comes to poor air quality in indoor climbing centres, boot rubber is the sole culprit?

Post edited at 14:57
 Iamgregp 04 May 2024
In reply to ripper:

In a rand about way, yes.

kipper12 04 May 2024
In reply to smbnji:

Interesting.  I’d like know where they sampled from in the wall areas, as personal, breathing zone, samplers give the most accurate assessment of individual exposure.  The dust levels are noticeable, but particulates that you can see are way too large to penetrate the deep lung.  Rightly it’s the particles smaller than 5 microns or so which present the major concerns.  Climbing in an air fed hood will be entertaining. 

Alun 06 May 2024
In reply to Iamgregp:

> In a rand about way, yes.

Indeed, but it's not the sole reason.

nniff 06 May 2024
In reply to smbnji:

That's sole destroying....

JimR 06 May 2024
In reply to nniff:

thats us heel hooked erm I mean weel fooked ...

lionel 09:50 Wed
In reply to kipper12:

> Interesting.  I’d like know where they sampled from in the wall areas, as personal, breathing zone, samplers give the most accurate assessment of individual exposure.  The dust levels are noticeable, but particulates that you can see are way too large to penetrate the deep lung.  Rightly it’s the particles smaller than 5 microns or so which present the major concerns.  Climbing in an air fed hood will be entertaining. 

They report that they sampled both settled and airborne dust. They also distinguished between airborne dust that was inhalable (likely to be trapped in the nose / mouth)  or respirable (likely to penetrate deeper into the lungs).

For me, the main takeaway messages of it were:

- airborne exposure to rubber-derived compounds in some climbing walls could be higher than that experienced from standing by a busy city road ( and exceeded WHO guidelines)

- climbing wall employees had the highest exposure to these compounds

- if climbing walls want to minimise exposure to airborne rubber-derived compounds, they may need to clean more often, use HEPA filters or even ban certain shoe models!

I wonder if we will start to see climbing walls taking these (possibly unexpected?) results on board; and whether climbing shoe manufacturers might change their rubber formulations for shoes intended for indoor use?

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...