UKC

Strathfarrar vehicle access

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 Dave the Rave 12 May 2024

Good afternoon.

Im looking to walk the strathfarrar 4 on Monday June 3rd.

How likely is it that I will be able to drive up the Glen? Is it likely to be busy and will I need to get there a couple of hours prior to the gate opening? I’m not sure if it’s half term in Scotland as we have struggled for accommodation that week. 

I can’t cycle it as I want to take the collie who is middle aged.

thanks for any info

Dave

DizzyT 12 May 2024
In reply to Dave the Rave:

On the weekdays I’ve been (May and September) turning up at 0845 put me second or third in the queue.

iani 12 May 2024

As above 8.45 - 9.00am would be good. Much later could be risky if the weathers good.  Allow enough time to drive back down the Glen in the evening to get to the gate before closing time, or you’ll be locked in. 

OP Dave the Rave 12 May 2024
In reply to DizzyT:

That great thanks both👍

rif 12 May 2024

Zero chance on that date! -- access is Tuesdays: https://www.mountaineering.scot/access/special-arrangements/strathfarrar

It won't be local half term but as others have said it's probably worth getting to the gate a bit before opening time.

Rob F

skog 12 May 2024
In reply to rif:

Vehicle access is -closed- on Tuesdays (and Wednesday mornings).

It should be fine on a Monday, as long as the vehicle limit hasn't been reached.

rif 12 May 2024
In reply to skog:

Groan -- cyclist tunnel vision showing. The last several times we've been there, we've wanted car-free roads for cycling, and Tuesday's the day for that.

Apols to the OP.

If the gate is an issue it's worth noting the alternative access for these hills from the north. It's a longer day, but a good one.

Plenty of daylight to play with by June. Not sure if it's middle aged dog friendly, guess that depends on the dog.

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=1382

OP Dave the Rave 15 May 2024
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Thanks a lot Dan.

I don’t think I would take the longer option and if I can’t get in I will pop up to Ben Wyvis.

The dog is pretty hill fit but if it’s hot, I’m either going to leave her with the Mrs or just do either the nearest two Munro’s or the two furthest. It sounds a nice Glen and is probably worth two visits anyway.

ta

Dave

OP Dave the Rave 15 May 2024
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Thanks a lot Dan.

I don’t think I will take the longer route though.

If I can’t get in I will go to Ben Wyvis.

The dogs pretty hill fit but if it’s too hot etc, I am planning to do the nearest two Munro’s or the furthest.

The vallley looks worth two trips anyway.

thanks a lot

Dave

You're right, Strathfarrar is definitely worth more than one visit (a lot more than two, even). Orrin is great too of course, has a different and quieter feel.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...