Rock Climbing Basics Series: Episode 2 Top-Rope Belayingby Duncan Campbell Aug/2013
This article has been read 5,814 times
This is the second in a 12-part series from Climbing Magazine, Wild Country and Red Chili, demonstrating and explaining the basic skills needed to be safe on the crags. In this episode, Julie Ellison, Climbing Magazine's Gear Editor, talks us through belaying a climber who is using a top-rope for protection, the simplest way to belay and a good first step before lead belaying.
There can be differences in standard practice between the USA and the UK, and some beginners may have been taught very slightly different techniques at their local climbing wall or club. However the methods in this video series are simple, easy to understand and if done correctly, safe. As always, feel free to discuss alternative methods in the forums.
Wild Country, Red Chili and Climbing Magazine has produced a series of 'How To' videos to demonstrate a number of rock climbing skills and techniques. In this video Julie Ellison, Climbing Magazine Gear Editor, shows how to belay a top roped climb. This is a vital part of learning to climb allowing you to extend your climbing into the outoors and enabling you to tackle your first routes in safety.
- The Five Best E2 Routes in the UK? Oct-14
- INTERVIEW: Wideboyz On the Brown & Whillans Challenge Sep-14
- REVIEW: Mammut Ophir Harness Aug-14
- REVIEW: Mammut Infinity 9.5mm Single Rope Aug-14
- INTERVIEW: IFSC Silver for Shauna Coxsey Jul-14
- Wild Country's 'Learn to Lead' Part 5 Jul-14
- Wild Country's 'Learn to Lead' Part 4 Jun-14
- Wild Country's 'Learn to Lead' Part 3 Jun-14
- INTERVIEW: Steve McClure on Strawberries Onsight Jun-14
- INTERVIEW: Leah Crane - Back on the Podium? Jun-14
Share this article on Facebook
Share this article on Twitter