Rock Climbing Basics Series: Episode 4; Clove Hitchby Duncan Campbell Sep/2013
This article has been read 7,041 times
This is the fourth in a 12-part series from Climbing Magazine, Wild Country and Red Chili, demonstrating and explaining the basic skills needed to be safe on the crags. In this episode, Julie Ellison, Climbing Magazine's Gear Editor, talks us through tying in at the belay using both a clove hitch and a figure of eight on the bight. These techniques are key for minimising the amount of kit you have to take by using the rope, which you already have, reducing the need for extra slings.
There can be differences in standard practice between the USA and the UK, and some beginners may have been taught very slightly different techniques at their local climbing wall or club. However the methods in this video series are simple, easy to understand and if done correctly, safe. As always, feel free to discuss alternative methods in the forums.
Climbing Magazine and Wild Country have produced a series of 'How To' videos designed to get you started in many areas of rock climbing technique. The idea is to simply demonstrate basic skills and techniques and allow you to pick up tips from the experts. In this video Julie Ellison, Climbing Magazine Gear Editor, demonstrates how to tie two of the most important climbing knots, the clove hitch and Figure 8 knot. The Figure 8 ‘on the bight’ (different to the knot that’s used for tying into your harness) is an essential climbing knot for tying into belays and for other applications. The Clove hitch is fantastic for using when establishing belays – it’s simple, safe and very quick to adjust!
- The Five Best E2 Routes in the UK? Oct-14
- INTERVIEW: Wideboyz On the Brown & Whillans Challenge Sep-14
- REVIEW: Mammut Ophir Harness Aug-14
- REVIEW: Mammut Infinity 9.5mm Single Rope Aug-14
- INTERVIEW: IFSC Silver for Shauna Coxsey Jul-14
- Wild Country's 'Learn to Lead' Part 5 Jul-14
- Wild Country's 'Learn to Lead' Part 4 Jun-14
- Wild Country's 'Learn to Lead' Part 3 Jun-14
- INTERVIEW: Steve McClure on Strawberries Onsight Jun-14
- INTERVIEW: Leah Crane - Back on the Podium? Jun-14
Share this article on Facebook
Share this article on Twitter