Rock Climbing Basics Series: Episode 8; Cam Placementby Duncan Campbell Sep/2013
This article has been read 8,210 times
This is the eighth in a 12-part series from Climbing Magazine, Wild Country and Red Chili, demonstrating and explaining the basic skills needed to be safe on the crags. In this episode, Julie Ellison, Climbing Magazine's Gear Editor, talks us through the placement of camming devices,aslightly more advanced form of protection but very useful for parrallel-sided cracks where a wired nut will not work.
There can be differences in standard practice between the USA and the UK, and some beginners may have been taught very slightly different techniques at their local climbing wall or club. However the methods in this video series are simple, easy to understand and if done correctly, safe. As always, feel free to discuss alternative methods in the forums.
Wild Country and Climbing Magazine have produced a series of 'How To' videos designed to demonstrate basic climbing skills and techniques. In this video Julie Ellison, Climbing Magazine Gear Editor, gives a very brief introduction to how to place and clean Friends. Wild Country made the first ever cams, Friends, and since their introduction in 1978 they’ve been a staple for climbers. Placing them is an art, like placing nuts or any protection, and in this video Julie shows some of the basics of placements and the basics of removal. There’s some great tips in here and perhaps the most important is to practice, practice and practice this on the ground to get as confident as possible.
- The Five Best E2 Routes in the UK? Oct-14
- INTERVIEW: Wideboyz On the Brown & Whillans Challenge Sep-14
- REVIEW: Mammut Ophir Harness Aug-14
- REVIEW: Mammut Infinity 9.5mm Single Rope Aug-14
- INTERVIEW: IFSC Silver for Shauna Coxsey Jul-14
- Wild Country's 'Learn to Lead' Part 5 Jul-14
- Wild Country's 'Learn to Lead' Part 4 Jun-14
- Wild Country's 'Learn to Lead' Part 3 Jun-14
- INTERVIEW: Steve McClure on Strawberries Onsight Jun-14
- INTERVIEW: Leah Crane - Back on the Podium? Jun-14
Share this article on Facebook
Share this article on Twitter