Wild Country's 'Learn to Lead' Part 4 - Lead Belayingby Duncan Campbell Jun/2014
This article has been read 3,783 times
Wild Country’s ‘Learning to Lead’ Series has been designed to give some useful advice for those climbers who want to make their way onto the ‘sharp-end’ of the rope.
Designed for people breaking out from wall climbing or who are tired of their friends having to set everything up, Wild Country sponsored climber and MIA Katherine Schirrmacher takes us through the process of starting to lead your first climbs.
Episode 4 - Lead Belaying - In this episode Katherine looks at tips and techniques for belaying a lead climber. Where to stand, where to put the rope and how to give a safe and encouraging belay.
The series includes:
1. Gear – This covers the basic gear you will need and some tips on placements.
2. Setting up Belays – Setting up safe belays when you get to the top of a climb or for a top rope.
3. Top Rope Leading – This covers how to set up a top rope and and great trick for getting leading experience without the danger.
4. Lead belaying – Where to stand and what to do as your partner leads.
5. First Lead – Tips and techniques for your first lead. From choosing your routes to topping out.
Katherine Schirrmacher has been a Wild Country athlete for 10 years, she is a very talented climber and is one of a few women to have climbed 8a sport and E7 trad routes. Katherine is an M.I.A and runs her own company where she can be contacted for personalised courses, training and much more at: LoveToClimb.co.uk
Win a Wild Country Fusion Helmet worth £55 each
Each week of this video series we’ll be giving the chance to win a new Wild Country Fusion helmet:
This burly all-rounder is perfect for first steps in the vertical. Robust, comfortable and well ventilated this is a great choice for mountaineering and rock climbing.
See more HERE
- The Five Best E2 Routes in the UK? Oct-14
- INTERVIEW: Wideboyz On the Brown & Whillans Challenge Sep-14
- REVIEW: Mammut Ophir Harness Aug-14
- REVIEW: Mammut Infinity 9.5mm Single Rope Aug-14
- INTERVIEW: IFSC Silver for Shauna Coxsey Jul-14
- Wild Country's 'Learn to Lead' Part 5 Jul-14
- Wild Country's 'Learn to Lead' Part 3 Jun-14
- INTERVIEW: Steve McClure on Strawberries Onsight Jun-14
- INTERVIEW: Leah Crane - Back on the Podium? Jun-14
- Wild Country's 'Learn to Lead' Part 2 Jun-14
Share this article on Facebook
Share this article on Twitter