I run Mountain Magic, offering courses and adventures in mountain walking and rock climbing in the UK, plus indoor climbing courses and coaching in London, for adults, youth, schools and organisations.
Mountains made a lasting impression on me during my first trip to Snowdonia in 1987 - a scramble around the Snowdon Horseshoe, followed by a speedy ascent of the North Ridge of Tryfan the next day.
At Lancaster University, I started rock climbing in the Lake District and helped to run the Hiking Club - a great way to begin learning about instructing and guiding people in the mountains.
With the Mountaineering Instructor Award and the Winter Mountain Leader award, I have been instructing and guiding since 1993 - in places as far flung as Africa, the Andes, the Himalayas and Mongolia.
I work and climb mainly in Britain and I have enjoyed lots of time in most of our major venues, especially Ben Nevis, Glen Coe, the Lake District, the Peak District, North Wales and Pembrokeshire.
Best Climbing Experience
A bold winter lead up the Mantrap and 40 Foot Corner of North East Buttress - in tricky conditions under an amazing star filled sky.
A moonlit winter traverse of the Aonach Eagach Ridge with a full lunar eclipse - thanks to W.H. Murray for the inspiration!
First day at Gogarth - A Dream Of White Horses and Quartz Icicle, topping out with a beautiful sunset.
Taking my first big fall on Manzoku - onto a green alien in a shallow, parallel sided crack and pulling back on to finish it.
Favourite Climbing-Related Discussion Topic
"Why do you climb?"
- No posts in last 30 days
Latest Blog posts
Subscribe to this blog as a feed for RSS browsers
- Introduction to Scottish Winter Climbing 08-Feb-15
- 1st Scottish Winter Mountain Walking Course This Year 24-Jan-15
- Adventure Education in Nature 09-Nov-14
- Teamwork, Challenge, Failure & Fun 04-Nov-14
- A Walk Around Kentmere 30-Oct-14
- Van life, route setting and adventure education. 29-Oct-14
- Lessons For Life 22-Oct-14
- Peak District Trad Leading Course 19-Oct-14
- Beautiful Nature on Clougha Pike. 17-Oct-14
- Uplifting Magic of Mountains 15-Oct-14
Interests Outside Climbing
Mountain biking, fell running, yoga, music and being barefoot.