Director of Lakeland Ascents. Instructor and provider of mountain skills training, guided rock, winter & ice climbing, guided mountain walks and adventure days in the Lakes, Wales & Scotland.
As a climber, I'm happier on mountain crags & big long routes over dank dark Lancashire quarries and gritstone edges, but I have a fondness for these too. I prefer it though when everything is covered in rime and ice and I love frustrating, fruitless Scottish winter trips the most.
I am a hill-going member of Kendal Mountain Search and Rescue Team.
Best Climbing Experience
Any winter experience that involves abseiling into some murky dark Scottish abyss, with no real idea where you are going or whether you're going to be able to climb out again.
Latest Blog posts
Subscribe to this blog as a feed for RSS browsers
- Winter ML assessment 18-Mar-15
- Winter mountaineering: the Mamores 03-Jan-15
- Ice & winter climbing: Patey’s Route, Sneachda 20-Dec-14
- 1-day navigation course: Langdale 10-Nov-14
- Rock climbing: Langdale 01-Nov-14
- Canyoning: high water levels! 27-Oct-14
- Multi-activity day: abseiling & rock climbing 18-Oct-14
- Abseiling: Denham Quarry 16-Oct-14
- Canyoning: a new trip ready for 2015 15-Oct-14
- Multi-activity day: abseiling & canyoning Stag Do 11-Oct-14
About My Photography
I am/was a published freelance travel photographer. I’ve worked for a few picture agencies, but am now looking to branch out on my own and also to start selling a few fine-art prints. I just don't have the time!
Click to list photo comments written by me. (3 comments)
I've voted for 25 photos, average vote 4.8.
(92% superb - 0% good - 4% average - 4% poor - 0% rubbish)
Anything Else We Should Know
I love the Third World, quality northern cask ales, deep house and Joni Mitchell, camels, photography and Thai food....
I own a nutty Springer Spaniel and a Persian cat with a very small brain - she leaves hair everywhere. The latter has a fondness for poppadoms, sellotape and recently, corned beef and Bombay Mix. [Nov 2013 update: she has now taken to Sailer Jerry's rum]