Long time exile to Finland but currently back in the UK. Former Glasgow resident so maintain a keen interest in Scottish winter. Experienced ice climber, at least of little Finnish ice climbs. Have tried just about all types of climbing and am very average at all of them. Have now climbed with a number of RTalkers, including Mike Kann, AJM, Fex Wazner, TobyFK, Terry, Rubbishy, Almost Sane, Horse, HoseyB and MJH. In particular "the other Toby" and myself claim the most ambitious RT 'Picnic' so far, as we held it in Lofoten.
Best Climbing Experience
Leading the headwall pitches of Stetind's South Pillar. Skiing to the top of various Lyngen peaks. Klubbruta on Eidertind. Sitting round campfires in Finnish forests after a day of good routes. Being about 8 pitches up Vestpillaren on Presten, Lofoten and realising we were going to make it. Every time I clip an icescrew and the panic subsides.
Favourite Climbing-Related Discussion Topic
How ace Arctic Norway is.
Articles by TobyA
- REVIEWED: Jottnar Fenrir Down Jacket Jan/2015
- Edelrid Corbie - for when weight is everything Nov/2014
- REVIEW: Beast Lite Crampons from Edelrid May/2014
- REVIEW: Arc'teryx Alpha Comp Hoody Apr/2014
- REVIEW: Men's Fjorm Down Jacket from Jottnar Mar/2014
- REVIEW: DMM Switch Ice Axes Mar/2014
- REVIEW: Jottnar Bergelmir Jacket and Vanir Salopettes Feb/2014
- Marmot Nabu NeoShell Jacket Nov/2013
- Like Father Like Son: Edelrid Harnesses Tested Nov/2013
- Mountain Equipment Snowline SL Sleeping Bag Mar/2013
- Arc'teryx M270 Harness Mar/2013
- COMPARISON REVIEW: Helmets Oct/2012
- Evolv Capitan Approach Shoes Sep/2012
- Crag Packs For Trad Climbers Apr/2012
- Mountain Equipment Citadel Jacket Mar/2012
- Marmot Variant Jacket Mar/2012
- Marmot Zion Jacket Feb/2012
- Scarpa Force Rock Shoes Nov/2011
- The Ultimate in Versatility? Triple Rated Ropes Sep/2011
- Sea To Summit Alpine II Sleeping Bag Jun/2011
- Climbing Technology Ledge Harness May/2011
- Marmot Plasma 15 Sleeping Bag Apr/2011
- Climbing Technology Nuptse Crampons and Alpine Tour Axe Jan/2011
- Marmot Alpinist Jacket and Pants Dec/2010
- COMPARISON REVIEW: DMM Dragons V Black Diamond Camalot Dec/2010
- Climbing Technology Nimble and Lime Quickdraws Oct/2010
- Primus ETA Solo Sep/2010
- Podsacs Alpine 40 Aug/2010
- Rab clothing system – Shadow, Alpine Pull-On, Photon May/2010
- Westcomb Recon Soft Shell Trousers Apr/2010
- VIDEO: Marmot Genesis Jacket: Hardshell or Softshell? Mar/2010
- La Sportiva Cliff 5 Rock Shoes Dec/2009
- Westcomb Specter LT Hoody Dec/2009
- DMM Torque Nuts Sep/2009
- Marmot Scree Pants Jul/2009
- Montane Terra Pant Jul/2009
- Marmot Nano Jacket Jul/2009
- RAB Ascent Jacket Mar/2009
- Wild Country Elite Mens Adjustable harness Dec/2008
- DMM Renegade Harness Nov/2008
- How light is right? DMM Phantoms vs. CAMP Nano 23s Nov/2008
- ROCKFAX Lofoten Rock Nov/2008
- C.A.M.P Pro nuts Nov/2008
- Belay Jackets Nov/2008
- C.A.M.P Tri-cams Oct/2008
- DMM Shadow Quickdraws Aug/2008
- C.A.M.P Armour Helmet Jul/2008
- DMM Alloy Offsets Jun/2008
- SnaPack Tarp May/2008
- Metolius First Look: Ultralight Curve Nuts Nov/2007
- DMM Shadow and Phantom Quickdraws Nov/2007
- Mad Rock Frenzy Lace Oct/2007
- Missing! Has anyone seen Vertical magazine? Jun/2007
- Vertical Magazine - un magasin pour l'union européenne Dec/2006
- Berghaus Optimus 40 Nov/2006
Photo moderator, checking new photo submissions.
Moderator for 19 crags, checking missing climbs added to the logbooks: Southstone Rock, Nuuksionpää, Vaarala, Piggtind, Hamperokken, Seutula Church Crag, Vantaanpuisto Bloc, Clee Hill Quarry, Istinden Icefalls, Pollfjellet tunnel icefalls, Penteberg Icefalls, Mellomtind, Småbakkan, Haavistontie, Tamokdalen East, Horsnesfjellet ice crags, Kyrkskär, Håle, Kjerringveggen
Interests Outside Climbing
Politics and social issues: I'll argue about anything anytime really.
Telemark: it doesn't matter if we are slower and fall over more than those on alpine gear, we have more soul and the chicks dig it. And at the end of the day - that's what counts.
Cycling: I ride a lot, mainly commuting, but have recently started to get into cyclocross and bikepacking. I also have a road bike for when I'm feeling a little bit French.
About My Photography
Can just about claim to be a "published photographer" due to having had a few pics in Climb and High over the years.
Click to list photo comments written by me. (276 comments)
I've voted for 5,599 photos, average vote 3.1.
(7% superb - 27% good - 38% average - 24% poor - 3% rubbish)
Anything Else We Should Know
A) HB alloy Offsets are most under-rated bits of climbing pro out there. B) I haven't really climbed "proper" TD - just some nice friendly high up rock routes that get given the grade for being technical. C) I have a bit of a 'thing' for arctic Norway.
Routes wishlist: Being vaguely realistic: Stetind South Pillar, Norway. Suuri Leikaus, Olhava. Westering Home, Reiff. Oikea Suora, Nuuksio. Point Five Gully, Ben Nevis. North Wall Groove, the Cobbler. Red Square, Nessclife. Anything at Gogarth. Anything on Cloggy. Anything at Pembroke.