Richie Patterson, Wild Countrywww.wildcountry.co.uk
I am the marketing manager for Wild Country. I have worked for Wild Country for 10 years and before that I worked at a major retailer and so have been 'in the trade' since 1991.
At Wild Country I was Sales Manager for a while and I was also heavily involved with the design and creation of many new products e.g. Superlight Rocks, Matrix Harnesses, Xenon biners etc.
I have been climbing since the age of 11 - so 29 years, but have been on a bit of a hiatus for the last few years after two shoulder operations. However, i am getting back into it and have just built a wall in my garage to help me get fitter. I moved to Northern Spain a couple of years ago and i am enjoying surfing at the amazing beaches as well as exploring the many great crags around the Picos De Europa.
Currently in Northern Spain
Best Climbing Experience
Wow, too many to mention but some which really stand out:
1. My first E4, Nagasaki Grooves at Black Crag in 1986 (i think) was when i first realized that higher grades were not impossible...and that the guys at my climbing club who were my heroes were not gods but guys who were trying harder.
2. Climbing Eagle Front, VS 4C, on Eagle Crag in Buttermere in a snowstorm in March and having the most brillant mini-epic and realizing how fantastic that the climbers of the that era were ast there is so little gear on that route it's incredible.
3. My first ascent of Born Slippy E8 at Curbar in 1996, gave a feeling of achievement as well as conquering fear.
4 Doing the first repeat of Sad Amongst Friends E6 6C at Stanage, 17 years after the first...cos it's a Jonny route and had been on the front cover of the Stanage guide...
Favourite Climbing-Related Discussion Topic
Generally I'd rather not join in but i love reading the grading debates...always good for a laugh!!
Articles by Richie Patterson, Wild Country
- Wild Country 2015 Apparel Mar/2015
- WINNER: Win 1 of 2 sets of Wild Country Clothing Mar/2015
- Vacancy - Wild Country UK Marketing Manager Mar/2015
- Wild Country launch new Superlight Offset Rocks Mar/2015
- New Wild Country Lockers: Ascent, Ascent Lite + Eos Mar/2015
- Wild Country Wintergear Feb/2015
- James Pearson and Caroline Ciavaldini sign for Wild Country Jan/2015
- Wild Country Fusion Helmet Dec/2014
- Crack School 2 with the Wideboyz Dec/2014
- Proton Quickdraw Dec/2014
- New Superlight Focus Helmet from Wild Country Dec/2014
- WINNERS: Wideboyzski in Poland Sep/2014
- Wild Country raise nearly £3000 for the GB Para Climbing T Jun/2014
- Wild Country Internship - Student Design Engineer Internship May/2014
- Vacancy - Wild Country UK Sales Representative May/2014
- WINNER: Win 1 of 6 Wild Country Enduro or Reach Hoodies Apr/2014
- New Wild Country Apparel Mar/2014
- Wild Country & the Wideboyz at SHAFF Mar/2014
- Wild Country 'Wideboyz' Crack School Masterclass series Feb/2014
- Wild Country sponsor the GB Para Climbing team Feb/2014
- Wild Country Rocks Recall – Update - 12 Nov 2013 Nov/2013
- Job Vacancy - Wild Country/Salewa UK Sales Admin Nov/2013
- VOLUNTARY RECALL - Wild Country Rocks Oct/2013
- Wild Country Harnesses - New Eclipse and Aurora in store Jun/2013
- New Wild Country Blaze, Boost and Flare harnesses in store May/2013
- New Wild Country Summit and Spire harnesses in store May/2013
- Salewa UK Brand Manager - Wanted Mar/2013
- Wild Country Management Accountant Wanted Mar/2013
- Wild Country's New Boulder Mats In Shops Now Feb/2013
- Salewa UK Brand Manager - Wanted Nov/2012
- Wild Country Job Opportunity: Design Engineer Aug/2012
- Wild Country Crack School Competition - Winners Jun/2012
- Win a day out Crack Climbing with Tom Randall May/2012
- Wild Country Support The Hope Project Apr/2012
- As Easy As New Wild Country Ropeman 1 and 2 Mar/2012
- New Red Chili Shoes 2012 Feb/2012
- Wild Country Climbing Team 2012 Feb/2012
- Wild Country and Red Chili Climbers: Ascents of 2011 Jan/2012
- New Wild Country Helium Friends - In Stores Soon Feb/2011
- Red Chili New Team - Ines Papert and Marcus Bock Nov/2010
- Wild Country - Three New Positions Oct/2010
- Wild Country is Proud to Sponsor Lakesbloc Aug/2010
- Wild Country Alpine Shield Scoops Magazine Prize Aug/2010
- Alex Ekins Joins The Wild Country Team Aug/2010
- Wild Country Superlight Screwgates - In Stores Now Jul/2010
- Wild Country Free Screensavers To Download Now Jun/2010
- Rock Shoe Demos and Comp Dates Feb/2010
- Red Chili Urban Climber shoe - instore now £69.99 Feb/2010
- WIN! One of 6 new Wild Country Rock Lite helmets Feb/2010
- Wild Country's 2010 UK Climbing Team Unveiled Jan/2010
- New Wild Country Bouldering Pads - In store now Jan/2010
- Wild Country Pure Chalk - Charity Begins On The Crag Dec/2009
- Red Chili - New Durango and Durango VCR - in stores now Dec/2009
- Wild Country New Vision Harnesses - in stores now. Dec/2009
- Wild Country New Elite Harnesses Nov/2009
- Wild Country 360 Helmet - The revolution begins Sep/2009
- Wild Country Alpine Shield Helmet - The Difference Is Clear Sep/2009
- Wild Country Pure Chalk: Available as block, loose and chalk bal Feb/2009
- Wild Country Astro Karabiner & Quickdraw - in stores now... Feb/2009
- Wild Country New Lite Screwgates Dec/2007
- Wild Country Xenon Lite Dec/2007
- Wild Country Pro-Key - new nut key Sep/2007
- Wild Country Tadpole 10mm & 12mm Dyneema Express Slings Jul/2007
- Red Chili Spirit Impact Zone Lace Up 2007 Model Jul/2007
Interests Outside Climbing
Surfing...the most difficult sport I've tried...especially when you're a fat 40 year old..
Click to view Richie Patterson, Wild Country's gallery. (24 photos)
Click to search for photos of climbers called Richie Patterson, Wild Country.
Click to list photo comments written by me. (1 comment)
Anything Else We Should Know
After 5 years out you learn a good perspective 'Don't take it too seriously have fun, fall off and try again!'