Born Glasgow, 1963, but haven't specified my age so I don't have to change it every November!
Hillwalking since the year dot, started climbing with EUMC in 1982, quite active (at a very average level) throughout my twenties and again in my forties.
Employed as school music teacher and living in Kinlochleven since 1989.
Kinlochleven, Scottish Highlands
Best Climbing Experience
Too many good ones to label any 'best', but some significant milestones might be:
1. Spartan Slab, Etive Slabs, May 1990 (first big VS lead).
2. Mount Hood (Oregon, 11,240ft) by the Cooper Spur & Mount Rainier (Washington, 14,411ft) by the Kautz Glacier in July 2006.
3. The Pause, Etive Slabs, September 2008 (climb of great symbolic significance to me).
4. The Wand, Creag Meagaidh, February 2010 (first time on Grade V ice *and* first V lead).
Favourite Climbing-Related Discussion Topic
Climbing history, since my enjoyment of routes (and especially the classics) is so enhanced by knowing who did what, when, and in what circumstances.
Latest Blog posts
Subscribe to this blog as a feed for RSS browsers
- Petestack for narrower screens 15-May-16
- Short Trail Routes from Kinlochleven 08-May-16
- Running streak 30-Apr-16
- Fly has windows! 09-Mar-16
- Wrong side of Resipol 07-Mar-16
- Circling with Lucy 29-Feb-16
- To be fair to the pBone… 31-Dec-15
- Master of nine? 28-Nov-15
- pBone mechanics 22-Nov-15
- Staggering on 02-Nov-15
Interests Outside Climbing
According to my website, 'music (again) and creative art of various types, sailing (especially yacht racing), climbing and hill running, spending far too much time at my computer, and Scottish culture in general.'
About My Photography
I got the Panasonic G2 in June 2010 after debating Micro Four Thirds since its introduction and now (having spent further time with GF2 and GM1 as compact outdoor alternatives) have the GM5 as well. But most of the older photos here were taken with the Panasonic FZ18 superzoom or more pocketable Nikon P50.
Click to list photo comments written by me. (114 comments)
I've voted for 11 photos, average vote 4.1.
(72% superb - 0% good - 9% average - 0% poor - 18% rubbish)
Anything Else We Should Know
Think we already know more than we need to?