Born Glasgow, 1963, but haven't specified my age so I don't have to change it every November!
Hillwalking since the year dot, started climbing with EUMC in 1982, quite active (at a very average level) throughout my twenties and now again in my forties.
Employed as school music teacher and living in Kinlochleven since 1989.
Kinlochleven, Scottish Highlands
Best Climbing Experience
Too many good ones to label any 'best', but some significant milestones might be:
1. Spartan Slab, Etive Slabs, May 1990 (first big VS lead).
2. Mount Hood (Oregon, 11,240ft) by the Cooper Spur & Mount Rainier (Washington, 14,411ft) by the Kautz Glacier in July 2006.
3. The Pause, Etive Slabs, September 2008 (climb of great symbolic significance to me).
4. The Wand, Creag Meagaidh, February 2010 (first time on Grade V ice *and* first V lead).
Favourite Climbing-Related Discussion Topic
Climbing history, since my enjoyment of routes (and especially the classics) is so enhanced by knowing who did what, when, and in what circumstances.
Click to list all my recent posts.
Latest Blog posts BETA
Subscribe to this blog as a feed for RSS browsers
Interests Outside Climbing
According to my website, 'music (again) and creative art of various types, sailing (especially yacht racing), climbing and hill running, spending far too much time at my computer, and Scottish culture in general.'
About My Photography
Got Panasonic G2 June 2010 (+ added GF2 January 2011) after debating Micro Four Thirds since its introduction, but most of the recent photos here were taken with one of these:
1. Panasonic FZ18 superzoom (great fun camera at tolerably compact size/weight, with good user control and huge versatility, but ultimately limited by the small sensor that makes most of this possible in such a tidy package).
2. Nikon P50 (handy pocket size with decent grip, but more limiting settings and not so sharp at its longer end).
Chosen as the Featured Gallery on 16-Jan-09.
Click to search for photos of climbers called petestack.
Click to list photo comments written by me. (106 comments)
I've voted for 11 photos, average vote 4.1.
(72% superb - 0% good - 9% average - 0% poor - 18% rubbish)
Anything Else We Should Know
Think we already know more than we need to?