ROCKTALK forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Slipstones Closed!

Dave Musgrove - on 30 Apr 2007
Now I've got your attention - it could end up that way?

I received this email today from a long standing area regular who was pretty disgusted by recent goings on at the crag. The Nidderdale/ Slipstones area has always been sensitive from an access point of view. If anyone knows who these climbers (or the instructors) were. Please have a word!!

Dave

.... I visited Slipstones last Thursday and again yesterday. At the left end of the crag we found signs of rocks been thrown/damage to boulders, and a lot of embedded blocks were upturned - a right mess. We tidied things as best we could. Talked to a group from Ripon who said that mess was caused the previous week by a group of "bored teenagers" on a climbing course, these same teenagers also lit a fire!! Unfortunately we are not sure where the course came from.

On the climbing side.... I found the starting holds on Wisecrack Direct Start had been improved [again] by chipping...no longer 6b. Who are these morons?

Yesterday [Sunday], we were just leaving the crag when I spotted SMOKE rising from Lay-By Area. On investigating we found three lads and two girls [climbers] having a Bar-Be-Q using two disposable units. The group looked to be uni-students about twenty years old. We pointed out firmly but politely, that fires were not allowed / high fire risk etc. They said they would put the fire out and we left. However, on looking back at the crag from the moor gate smoke was still rising....looks like they ignored our warning. By the way, the NO FIRES sign was clearly displayed at the gate so they must have seen it! Also, the NO DOGS sign at the gate has been defaced and two groups had dogs with them!

I would hate to see the crags closed due to blatent selfish acts like these ....

... not showing 56 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums