/ Lakes mountain crags this weekend?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Mike Lewis - on 18 Mar 2009
Hi, so the forecast suggests there's a nice dry spell in the Lakes, lasting till the weekend. Are any of the big mountain crags likely to be in?

The route I'd most like to do is Eagle Front in Buttermere - any chance that'll be dry?

Cheers in advance
Gael Force - on 18 Mar 2009
In reply to Mike Lewis: Dry but cool..
p3t3 on 18 Mar 2009
In reply to Mike Lewis:

Fantastic route! even if its a bit damp go old school and put your socks over your boots!

cat22 - on 19 Mar 2009
In reply to Gael Force: By that do you mean "absolutely baltic"? :-)

Any more opinions much appreciated!
999thAndy on 19 Mar 2009
In reply to Mike Lewis:

Eagle front is OK, and would be worth *** if the bottom pitches were as good as the top pitch. It will be Baltic though, wrap up warm.

I would go to High Crag instead, unless you've done it all there.
Mark Bull - on 19 Mar 2009
In reply to Mike Lewis:

> The route I'd most like to do is Eagle Front in Buttermere - any chance that'll be dry?

Eagle Crag faces north and is liable to be cold, damp and dirty: probably not the best choice for this time of year unless you like that sort of challenge! There's always Grey Crag nearby if you do go for a look and don't fancy it.
cat22 - on 19 Mar 2009
In reply to Mark Bull: Yeah, we know it's north facing, it's just the weather is particularly awesome at the moment, we like long VSs and we're wondering how overly optimistic we're being! 2 years ago we had a great time on Eliminate A at this time of year. We've done a few of the routes on Grey Crag before, so we'll probably divert to High Crag if it turns out to be wet.

Any other suggestions for routes of a similar length and grade? Guessing stuff on Scafell and Pillar will be similarly cold and damp but with a longer drive to get there, and a longer walk-in.
Gael Force - on 20 Mar 2009
In reply to cat22: Eagle front will be pretty dry now,there has been no rain all week.However its a cold crag ,and theres no sun there,if you dont mind that it will be ok.
Scafell will be too cold,but Pillar will be ok, I would park at Gatesgarth farm,at the bottom of Honister,the farmer will let you camp there for next to nothing,and walk over to Pillar ,via Scarth Gap,the routes on the west face get some sun,and nobody else from UKC will be there ,which is a major advantage..
Jimmy D - on 20 Mar 2009
In reply to Mike Lewis:

Gimmer might be one of the best bets if you wnat somewhere clean, dry and sunny.
Jimmy D - on 20 Mar 2009
In reply to Jimmy D:

Oh and Gimmer Crack or NW arete/F-route might be good choices for the grade
sheep - on 20 Mar 2009
In reply to Mike Lewis: http://www.ukclimbing.com/images/dbpage.html?id=111223 I was out on Wednesday, saw no seepage anywhere, even in the usual places like mossy slabs and outcrops, at all levels. Can't imagine that Burtness Coomb or Pillar will be any different
Simon Caldwell - on 20 Mar 2009
In reply to Gael Force:
> nobody else from UKC will be there

Are you sure?
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=346687

Gael Force - on 20 Mar 2009
In reply to cat22: Having now been out and about theres quite a lot of low cloud today in west cumbria,looks like a temperature inversion ,but hard to say from town.However its cold in the cloud and it wont be pleasant high up unless it is actually clear high up.Maybe somebody who has been up high will post later..
ads.ukclimbing.com
cat22 - on 22 Mar 2009
In reply to Mike Lewis: Thanks for the advice everyone! We ended up going to Pavey on Saturday, which was lovely and dry, but got a bit cold when the sun disappeared in the afternoon. We decided to save Eagle Front for a warmer weekend!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.