/ New Quarks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
drmarten on 17 Oct 2010
Anyone got hold of the new Petzl Quarks yet, keen to know if Petzl have sent them out to shops? I know they're on websites but I think some sites are selling them without having taken delivery.
tom290483 - on 17 Oct 2010
In reply to drmarten:

Nevisport in Manchester had a hammer version in last week but no matching adze!
mux - on 17 Oct 2010
In reply to tom290483: dont you just by the axe and then add the bits you want to the new Quarks or is that just the others?
Sandy Paterson - on 17 Oct 2010
In reply to drmarten: They are in the shops in Fort William!
Hay - on 17 Oct 2010
In reply to drmarten:
Previous post is right - they are designed as a modular tool. If you want an adze, you have to buy one.
There is a minor hiatus in supply at the moment I think. Some shops have them (in small numbers) but the majority of the axes are still not here yet. Some sort of manufacturing hold up.
drmarten on 17 Oct 2010
In reply to Hay:
Thanks folks, much as I thought.
ice.solo - on 18 Oct 2010
In reply to drmarten:

how about the ergos?

anybody know anybody who can justify forking out $350 EACH??!?
drew52 - on 18 Oct 2010
In reply to drmarten: anyone seen the new nomics out yet?
Lamb - on 18 Oct 2010
In reply to drmarten: Lyon Equipment aint going to have the Ergos, Nomics or Quarks back on the go till January unfortunately, pretty poor that.
hexcentric - on 18 Oct 2010
In reply to Lamb:
Where did you hear that?
tom290483 - on 18 Oct 2010
In reply to mux:
> (In reply to tom290483) dont you just by the axe and then add the bits you want to the new Quarks or is that just the others?

What I meant was that they had just one tool in (not two like most of us use!) and that was a hammer.
Lamb - on 18 Oct 2010
In reply to hexcentric: I gave Lyon a call.
Dave Williams - on 18 Oct 2010
In reply to drmarten:

A friend is still waiting for a pair of the new Nomics (already paid for) and she's been told that the first ones Lyon imported all went as pre-orders last month. The retailer is now very embarassed as they are waiting for new stock and this ties in with what's already been said re. Lyon. It sounds as if the problem originates with Petzl - either a supply-demand issue or possibly giving Lyon a lower priority over importers in other countries. I've noticed that plenty of North American and mainland European retailers seem to have them advertised - but obviously this doesn't necessarily mean that they've physically got any to sell though.

Perhaps someone from Lyon could come on here and clarify matters as this issue isn't going to go away?

Dave
nufkin - on 18 Oct 2010
In reply to tom290483:
> (In reply to drmarten)
>
> Nevisport in Manchester had a hammer version in last week but no matching adze!

It's the other way around at Urbanrock - looks like there's some sort of conspiracy to stop people buying a complete set...
Hannes on 18 Oct 2010
In reply to ice.solo:
> how about the ergos?
>
> anybody know anybody who can justify forking out $350 EACH??!?

Fondled a pair in brighams, mad things they are. It also allowed me to have a feel on the new handle which is lovely, especially if you have hands my size, they simply won't fit comfortably in a pair of BD fusions with gloves on. I wonder how many will buy a pair?
Sir Stefan - on 18 Oct 2010
In reply to mux:

It's just the others. I bought mine equipped with
adze and hammer from the factory. And refitting is difficult as they're a close fit. Tried just for fun. And it was not fun at all...

Cheers
ice.solo - on 19 Oct 2010
In reply to Hannes:

i should qualify...that i WILL get a pair one day.
but be able to justify it.....noooooooo
Dave Williams - on 19 Oct 2010
In reply to drmarten:

Apparently full production will be achieved by Petzl-Charlet in December and all back orders will then be fulfilled. Until then only small numbers of the new axes are being made available to importers, although presumably none at all at the moment.

So, anyone got any good ideas as to how to delay winter until the French get their act together?

Dave
drmarten on 19 Oct 2010
In reply to Dave Williams:
Thanks Dave, I'm hoping for something before December, we'll see. A strange situation when I'm now half wishing we don't get early winter conditions! My Flys are blunt and my attempt at sharpening them last year didn't do much good, they might be okay for a start of season warm-up but that's about it.
drmarten on 16 Nov 2010
Update : just had a polite exchange of emails from an online vendor of the Petzl Quarks and order now cancelled. Seems there are holdups over in France with production (a couple of the posters above were well in the know a while ago...). Anyone still waiting on delivery from online sources would be advised to give the website store a phone call.
Have since ordered online again, man on phone assures me he was holding a pair of the new Quarks in his hand at the time, once bitten twice shy. Axes reduced by 40! How does supply and demand work again?
ads.ukclimbing.com
Si - on 16 Nov 2010
In V12 Outdoor now!
bsavage - on 16 Nov 2010
In reply to drmarten: Just brought a set form Dick climbing in Bristol they are sweeeet. He has them in the store, I know this coz im holding my new axes in my hands atm :P. http://www.dicksclimbing.com
drmarten on 16 Nov 2010
In reply to bsavage:
> I know this coz im holding my new axes in my hands

I hope to be doing the same by Friday. Thanks for the link, never heard of them before, will add to my collection.

Pids - on 16 Nov 2010
In reply to drmarten:

They are on sale in Nevisport in Glasgow.
You can pop in, hold them in your hand, swing them and then buy them - axe and hammer.
rcammack - on 17 Nov 2010
In reply to drmarten:

Nevisport and Tiso in Edinburgh have had them for a while, I got mine from Tiso around 3 weeks ago. The quarks come with a hammer and adze from the factory.
The Ivanator - on 17 Nov 2010
In reply to bsavage:
> (In reply to drmarten) Just brought a set form Dick climbing in Bristol they are sweeeet. He has them in the store, I know this coz im holding my new axes in my hands atm :P.
And typing too, that's some party trick you got going on! :-)
drmarten on 18 Nov 2010
In reply to Si:
> In V12 Outdoor now!

I have, on the table next to me, a pair of Quark ice axes from those very people. I'm good to go!

smithaldo - on 19 Nov 2010
In reply to drmarten: have got some of the new nomics but not sure i like them that much so am considering selling them to get the new fusions which may suit my climbing style more (being a weak punter) serious offers might convince me as well as many places dont seem to have them in stock.
nufkin - on 19 Nov 2010
In reply to smithaldo:
> (In reply to drmarten) have got some of the new nomics but not sure i like them that much so am considering selling them to get the new fusions which may suit my climbing style more (being a weak punter) serious offers might convince me as well as many places dont seem to have them in stock.

I hope you'll pardon me sticking my beak in, but the new fusions are pretty much the same as the nomics, old or new (with the advantage over the old ones of having a wee hammer already). If you don't like nomics chances are that you won't like the fusions.

euanryan on 19 Nov 2010
In reply to drmarten: We have them in Glasgow Buchannan street Tiso, although only the hammer at present! An adze is on the way :)
In reply to nufkin:

Not really, its the little details between them that I can't decide on. Eg hammer and umbilical attachment points.

Also the shape of the handle and how your hand fits.
saintlade - on 19 Nov 2010
In reply to smithaldo: I'm also a weak punter but in the reverse situation, have the fusion's which I swung around only a couple of times in anger last season (too busy walking and navving at night for assessments) and thinking of switching over to nomics. Not sure I'm getting on well with the swing of the fusions, seem to be a bit wobbly but I have shoulder stability problems. Think it's how top heavy they are and considering doing the mod seen floating on the net grinding the hammers down at the back to shave a bit of vital weight. Also have some reactors that I really like but have mostly been loaned to the gf recently. Perhaps I'll save the hassle of modding and just switch to a quark + nomic set up so I've got a nice light tool for the big mountain stuff and a more technical tool for posing in scotland and on euro ice routes.
halo on 19 Nov 2010
In reply to nufkin: Are they leashless as well?
In reply to saintlade: it's all about the posing with these things but I have some cobras for that ;0)

I only got some new ergo type handles for mixed as sold my old ones and came into a little bit of cash so want to get the right ones for me for that type of climbing. to be fair, it doesnt matter at all but its nice to climb with something that dane calls your excaibur!
grimm on 19 Nov 2010 - a91-152-87-93.elisa-laajakaista.fi
In regards of the Nomics - having switched from old Quarks I agree that it takes some time to get used to the Nomics. At first they felt really odd, and also had some doubts, but then rather quickly they started to feel really good, after getting used to the new swing and balance. I don't expect to need the hammer any time soon (although will be using these in the Alps in the coming summer, on some north faces and couloirs). Have already installed the loops for the umbilicals, and I think they work a treat (have BD Spinner Leashes), I like the fact that the umbilicals have their own attachment point and the hole in the handle is free for other uses.
nufkin - on 19 Nov 2010
In reply to halo:
> (In reply to nufkin) Are they leashless as well?

Yup - Fusions and Nomics are both leashless. As are the Ergos. And new Quarks, come to that.
In reply to nufkin: well... are not all axes leashless until you put leashes on them? the fusions and nomics both have ergo handles but bolt holes if you want to put leashes on them. (fusions I think new nomics deffo)
Andy White - on 28 Nov 2010
In reply to grimm:

Hi Grimm,

where do you attach your leashes too then, I've been pondering this for the last few weeks
Paul F - on 28 Nov 2010
In reply to Andy White:

They have the same hole in the shaft to attach clipper leashes like the old model. New Quarks are sold without leashes.
grimm on 01 Dec 2010 - a91-152-87-93.elisa-laajakaista.fi
In reply to Andy White:

They have the normal pre-drilled attachment point for leashes (pull the plastic plugs and insert the bolt through the saft). But can't personally see any point in using leashes, as that will effectively take away a lot the Nomic has to offer. I find myself getting less pumped without leashes, so I haven't really found any benefit from them anymore (it was an easy conversion to me).
ads.ukclimbing.com
Hannes on 02 Dec 2010
In reply to drmarten: If you want leashes buy a pair of flys

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.