/ The Eiger: Wall of Death BBC4 tonight

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Carpe Diem - on 03 Apr 2011
mrchewy - on 03 Apr 2011
In reply to Carpe Diem: Ta for the heads up pal
punj - on 03 Apr 2011
In reply to Carpe Diem: cheers for that
AndyE9 on 03 Apr 2011
Set to record ... :-))
mr mills - on 03 Apr 2011
In reply to Carpe Diem:

Ta for that :)
Enty - on 03 Apr 2011
In reply to Carpe Diem:

It was on last year - don't get excited.

E
Run_Ross_Run - on 03 Apr 2011
In reply to Enty: its was, but still worth a watch again.m
euanryan on 03 Apr 2011
In reply to Carpe Diem: I missed it last year, set to record now :)
GrendeI on 03 Apr 2011
In reply to Carpe Diem: kenton cool as a presenter...?? Sweet!
Darren Jackson - on 03 Apr 2011
In reply to Enty:
>
> It was on last year - don't get excited.

Good grief. You'll be telling us that Santa doesn't exist next...?

creag - on 03 Apr 2011
In reply to Darren Jackson:
It wasn't that good really..
Enty - on 03 Apr 2011
In reply to Darren Jackson:

Course he does.

I meant don't get excited about the program. In other words - don't cancel a trip to the pub for it.

E
Annoying Twit - on 03 Apr 2011
There seemed to be good shots of Ueli Steck's high speed ascents. With it taking only 2hr47m to climb, the whole climb, real time, could fit on a moderately heavily compressed DVD. Is an unabridged version of the climb available anywhere?
Nicholas Livesey on 03 Apr 2011
In reply to Carpe Diem: I saw it the first time but had to watch it again...for me, the most affecting bit was the brief footage of Brian Nally being interviewed. Powerful stuff.
liamo333 - on 03 Apr 2011

That was excellent!
Roberttaylor - on 03 Apr 2011
In reply to Carpe Diem: Pretty good, well made TV.
mattrm - on 04 Apr 2011
In reply to Annoying Twit:

I have a feeling that the whole ascent wasn't filmed. I think that he did the speed ascent and then went back and filmed certain parts of it. Could be wrong tho.

I watched it when it was on first time round. It was pretty good I thought, sad that the original plan of filming the guys climbing the whole thing had to be scrapped. I'd love to have seen that.
Trangia - on 04 Apr 2011
In reply to Carpe Diem:

I thought it was good. Awesome atmosphere emerging right onto the face from the railway window
eschaton - on 04 Apr 2011
In reply to mattrm: in the shots of Ueli Steck doing the speed ascent, you can clearly see grooves in the snow where his steps match up perfectly
Si Withington - on 04 Apr 2011
In reply to eschaton:

Yeah, the film was shot after the event - saw Ueli Steck at Kendal a couple of years ago and he talked about this. Doesn't take anything away from such an amzaing achievement though.

Does anyone know if you can download stuff from iPlayer - wouldn't mind keeping this programme?
maresia - on 04 Apr 2011
In reply to zebedoo:

Yes you can but it will only work for a limited period. The best thing to do is download it and then screen capture it playing back off your HD.
Si Withington - on 04 Apr 2011
In reply to Carpe Diem:

Sounds complicated and I guess would lose quality doing a screen capture. Did anyone record this who would be willing to send me a DVD? Will send a blank one back in return!
digby - on 04 Apr 2011
In reply to maresia:

> Yes you can but it will only work for a limited period. The best thing to do is download it and then screen capture it playing back off your HD.

Hardly! Download it then burn it to DVD. Mac or PC there's plenty ways to do it.
Styx - on 04 Apr 2011
In reply to Annoying Twit: Whilst it's certainly not the full thing there is a 25 minute film about him kicking around called "The Swiss Machine", it features at film festivals regularly and appears on the "Reel Rock" DVD. If you search youtube there's a 7 minute-ish cut of it. It's mainly about his training and progression up to the actual speed ascent and only has a few extra scenes of the actual climb but it is a very inspirational and fascinating little film.
Styx - on 04 Apr 2011
becauseitsthere - on 04 Apr 2011
In reply to Carpe Diem:

I quite enjoyed the old footage and would like to have seen a bit more of Uli Steck's ascent. I felt the intoduction implied that we were going to see Kenton Cool and pal making a winter ascent.

Did anyone else feel shortchanged by only seeing a 50m jaunt from the tunnel?
simondgee - on 04 Apr 2011
In reply to becauseitsthere:
> (In reply to Carpe Diem)
>
> I quite enjoyed the old footage and would like to have seen a bit more of Uli Steck's ascent. I felt the intoduction implied that we were going to see Kenton Cool and pal making a winter ascent.
>
> Did anyone else feel shortchanged by only seeing a 50m jaunt from the tunnel?

I'm a sucker for watching climbing stuff but I agree it felt like it was a low budget version of The Beckoning Silence...probably cos it was (ish). I suspect that it was a cut yer losses film...they said 2 seasons worth of attempts to film an ascent...

ads.ukclimbing.com
morpcat - on 05 Apr 2011
In reply to becauseitsthere:

Conditions were bad each time they went out, and they called no-go on the face. Sound decision making in the face of what would probably have been a fair amount of pressure to get some filming done for the show. I think this is a good example to everyone of good decisions being taken, and quite worthwhile showing!

Still, it would have been nice to get the full ascent recorded :)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.