/ Snow Level ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Scott_vzr on 27 Apr 2012
Anyone know the snow level around the Souther Highlands or Glencoe ?

Looks like 800m plus ?

Tarmachan gullies, any holding snow ?

ta
JohnnyW - on 27 Apr 2012
In reply to Scott_vzr:

The Northern facing slopes of Tarmachan were fairly loaded last weekend over about 700m, but nothing at all on the rest.
Mark Bull - on 27 Apr 2012
In reply to Scott_vzr:

Loch Lomond webcam http://www.lochlomondshores.com/about-us/webcam/ shows almost nothing on Ben Lomond and some patchy cover above about 900m on Ben Oss. Cam Chreag catches a lot of sun this time of year, too.
Milesy - on 27 Apr 2012
In reply to Mark Bull:

Looking at Ben Lomond can always be deceptive. It is at the whim of the warmth of the loch. Ben Lomond can be clear from the loch side but be loaded on the trossachs at the back.
mac fae stirling - on 27 Apr 2012
In reply to Milesy:

good cover on Ben More and Stob Binnein - both currently gleaming white in the sun against a blue sky. nice.
Mark Bull - on 27 Apr 2012
In reply to Milesy:

> Looking at Ben Lomond can always be deceptive.

Good point: same with Vorlich/Stuc a'Chroin which seem to hold much less snow than hills bit further north. Ben Oss is maybe a better indicator, though.
Dave Hewitt - on 27 Apr 2012
In reply to Mark Bull:

> Good point: same with Vorlich/Stuc a'Chroin which seem to hold much less snow than hills bit further north.

Sometimes, although last weekend was an exception. I was on the four western Lawers Munros on Sunday and there were dregs from 800m, then semi-cover from maybe 950m and complete cover from just below 1100m. Looking across to the north side of Stuc/Vorlich however there was pretty hefty cover down to 600m-ish. Lawers often seems to get a lot of snow from both western and eastern weather systems, I guess so last weekend was a bit odd.

Btw, from this desk I can see the SE side of Vorl/Stuc and there looks to be thin stuff above 800m, not much though and less than this time last week. Nice day here, although chilly in the breeze. Good forecast for tomorrow.
AlH - on 27 Apr 2012
In reply to Scott_vzr: Pic of Glencoe on here from yesterday. http://alanhalewood.blogspot.co.uk/
Scott_vzr on 27 Apr 2012
In reply to mac fae stirling: Yip, they are reliable.
Scott_vzr on 27 Apr 2012
Thanks all.

I'm thinkinh that one of the big gullies facing NE/E may have held enough snow, although if it's slushy or not.... Lots on Glencoe Ski mouintain gullies last weekend snowboarding.
Scott_vzr on 27 Apr 2012
Certainly lots about the gorms.

HIGH AVALANCHE RISK ON THE HEAD WALL AND CORONATION WALL.
KEEP AWAY FROM THESE AREAS.
Temperature -4c at top station,-1c at car park level wind North North Easterly 20 -35 mph. Hill Fog at 700m with light snow showers. There will be delays with upper lifts due to overnight drifting.
It has now been snowing heavily for the last 48hrs above 700m. Great powder and offpiste conditions on the Lady. A lovely pisted run on the M1. While the Traverse-105-ZigZag route is also great condition but unpisted. Tomorrow's forecast is slightly better and weather permitting we hope to offer snowsports in the Top Bowls as well as the M1 and funicular with mid station stops.
Kevin Woods - on 27 Apr 2012
In reply to Scott_vzr: Nothing on Ledi, Beinn a' Chroin has a dusting and Ben Moreand Stob Binnein are loaded. As of this morning, they looked pretty good.
Scott_vzr on 27 Apr 2012
In reply to Kevin Woods: Cheers, the east side of Stob Binnein always hold something. Snowboarding or winter walking is the decision.
Scott_vzr on 30 Apr 2012
Certainly lots of white stuff left, think I'll be boarding or walking next weekend.
Scott_vzr on 30 Apr 2012
In reply to Scott_vzr: Wish I had gone up to Cairngorm after all to board

http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/displayimage.php?photo_id=21255
JohnnyW - on 01 May 2012
In reply to Scott_vzr:

My wife and her mates did and had a great time, but were rather blase with the sun, and came back fried, silly buggers!
Ron Walker - on 01 May 2012
In reply to Scott_vzr:
Just off for another sunny, snowy day skiing on Cairngorm ;-)
Scott_vzr on 01 May 2012
In reply to Ron Walker: Ah, good to be a local !

Can you email dates of your TMB courses ? Friend has been to Nepal, Annapurna, and came back from the Atlas recently too. Told her how Julie M enjoyed your course a few years back.

Nick
ads.ukclimbing.com
Scott_vzr on 09 May 2012

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.