ROCKTALK forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Arnad - Machaby (Aosta Valley - Italy) crag closed

Luca Signorelli - on 28 Apr 2012
Sorry delivering bad news once again, but:

As a result of a tragic accident of one week ago (when Maurizio Carcereri, 57, was killed by falling rocks while climbing the route "Buccia D'Arancia"), the entire Machaby-Arnad area (between Aosta and Ivrea, close to the A5 highway coming from Chamonix) has been officially closed to climbing until further notice.

This means that ALL sectors of the area (Paretone, Pilastro Lomasti, Gruviera, Case Fara e la Paretina) have been barred from access to climbers and hikers - my understanding is that this measure is going to be enforced (ie, people being found climbing there may be forced to pay a fine). The reason for this measure is to give time the local authorities to carry on a thorough inspection of the climbing area. This - that's what I get - may take a while.

In other words - if you're coming from Chamonix to climb this one, check if the ban was lifted.

Personally, I share some local perplexities about the whole approach to the accident: the Paretone, while not difficult from the technical point of view, was well know to be prone to rockfall, and thus is difficult to think it's simply a "sport crag". As someone said in Courmayeur: "What's next, closing Mont Blanc because it's dangerous"?

Maurizio was the technical director of the "Gian Piero Motti" climbing school, and a well know figure of the Turin mountaineering milieu. At the moment of the accident, he was wearing a helmet, but the size of the falling boulder gave him no chance. He's survived by his wife Claudia and his son Marco.
... not showing 7 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums