/ Tyre Recommendations...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
link - on 29 Apr 2012
Need to get new tyres for the road bike. The choice baffles me. Currently riding on Schwalbe Blizzards which came with the bike. I've spoken to a few racing type folk who swear by the Ultremo ZX from the same manufacturer.

Aside from 10 mile TT's and the odd sportive, the majority of my riding is pleasure and commuting so I don't want a super duper grippy tyre that will be knackered after 300 miles.

Any suggestions?
existing debt - on 29 Apr 2012
In reply to link:

Chainreaction cycles are doing Michelin pro 3 for 19.99, ive just stuck a pair on, to early to give my review, but mates that ride with them swear they are faster, softer, grippy and last quite well.

Paul

balmybaldwin - on 29 Apr 2012
In reply to link:

Continental GP 4000s are very good very grippy and roll very well, done well over 1000miles on them with little signs of wear... they are quite pricy though

A bit cheaper are their gator skins which are also very nice tyres with plenty of grip, and a little more tread

Epic Ebdon - on 29 Apr 2012
In reply to link:

Conti GP 4000s are excellent, the "Force" and "Attack" are meant to be a smidge better, but I got the GP4000s because they were a bit cheaper. I was replacing some Vredestein Fortezza tricomps, and find the 4000s to be slightly faster, slightly lighter, but give a lot more confidence cornering. They are supposed to last a good while too.

See if you can find an offer on them somewhere, they are great tyres.

Tim
link - on 29 Apr 2012
In reply to link:

After reading reviews it looks like the continentals are a good bet. Used to run conti's on the mountainbike before switching to maxxis and never had a complaint. Cheers folks
Enty - on 30 Apr 2012
In reply to existing debt:
> (In reply to link)
>
> Chainreaction cycles are doing Michelin pro 3 for 19.99, ive just stuck a pair on, to early to give my review, but mates that ride with them swear they are faster, softer, grippy and last quite well.
>
> Paul

Thanks for the heads up. I've been racing on these for 5 years and at 20 quid I'm not that bothered how long they last ;-)

E
Ian Broome - on 30 Apr 2012
In reply to link: continental gaitor skins. I really like them. 2 punctures in 18months, cycle to work every day. Hard wearing, grippy in the wet and bomb proof. I went for the larger width to soak up the bumps.
LastBoyScout on 30 Apr 2012
In reply to link:

I've been using Panaracer Extreme Dura as winter tyres for some time and they seem pretty bomb proof, but not, perhaps, the fastest.
andy - on 30 Apr 2012
In reply to Enty:
> (In reply to existing debt)
> [...]
>
> Thanks for the heads up. I've been racing on these for 5 years and at 20 quid I'm not that bothered how long they last ;-)
>
> E

Merlin have them for 39 a pair too (only in black/grey).
Rigid Raider - on 30 Apr 2012
Another vote for Michelin Pro 3s, excellent grip, puncture resistant and very comfortable.
Enty - on 30 Apr 2012
In reply to andy:

That's cool because the ones at CRC are all silly colours - not near my bike please ;-)

E

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.