Gear forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Mid layer

trailmix - on 29 Apr 2012
Hi

New to UKC, here's my first post, hope people can help:

I use a Rab VR smock over a baselayer for most of my mountain activity. In winter, I wear it under a shell when climbing ice.

During milder conditions I find it just about okay, with a thin technical t-shirt under it, but if it is wet then when I put a shell on top then I find that I run too warm. I also find it a pain in the arse to get on and off, as the inner lining 'bonds' with whatever I wear!

I am looking for a solution for an item of clothing to replace the VR with, that I can layer under easily and will also work under a shell. I want it to be pretty windproof too. I wonder if this is the role of the traditional 'fleece' of old?!

I am wondering whether a thinner softshell would work well, with layering underneath?

Has anyone got any recommendations of systems, specific products that could work for me in this way? I also read somewhere that softshells don't work well under shells....?

Or, perhaps I can use the VR differently, wearing just a technical T and layering OVER it? Has anyone used it in this way?

PS: I don't get on with Paramo or Buffalo

Thanks lots,

Steve
... not showing 8 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums