/ Thermarest Neo Air

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
The New NickB - on 29 Apr 2012
Getting old and with a bad shoulder, after an uncomfortable night on Snowdon at the weekend, I have decided to get a new mat for backpacking and bivvying.

I noticed Neo Air in a shop the other week, it seemed to meet the my criteria of light and comfortable, not cheap, but two out of three isn't bad.

I just thought would ask if anyone has used one, any problems. Are they as comfortable as they look? Are they easy to get back down to their out of the packet size when out in the wild? They look quite fragile, are they easy to burst?

Thanks in advance.
Welsh Kate - on 30 Apr 2012
In reply to The New NickB:

Don't know how comfortable they look to you and therefore whether they're as comfortable as they look (if you get me), but I find mine pretty good, way better than a standard thermarest, gives excellent lumbar support and should be much more comfy for your shoulder; have a look at the Exped Downmat as well though - also very comfy but not as light (warmer though)

I've had no problems repackaging it after use.

I've not burst mine, but am pretty careful about where I camp. It's a bit 'rustly'.
Kai - on 30 Apr 2012

I have the NeoAir and like it. It is very comfortable. They are easy to roll down into a small bundle. They won't stand up to being poked with sharp objects, but if you treat them with reasonable care, they are pretty durable.

I have a review of the NeoAir and some other sleeping pads on my blog, here:

http://larsonweb.com/blog/

Darren Jackson - on 30 Apr 2012

I have a 3/4 length version. Yes, they're pricey, but it's light, it's very warm and it packs down to next to nowt...

I've read complaints that - maybe earlier models? - can be prone to bursting to bits internally; such that the ribs blow and you find yourself sleeping on a space hopper. Whilst this 'feature' would undoubtedly be an excellent alarm call, it's not one that I've yet to experience.
Morgan Woods - on 30 Apr 2012
In reply to Kai:

nice review....i didn't know it was possible for one person to have so many sleeping pads :p
steelbru - on 30 Apr 2012
In reply to The New NickB: There used to be the NeoAir Trekker ( not sure if they still do it ). This was same blown up thickness and design, but made of a heavier material, so more durable - but didn't pack down so small and was a bit heavier. Depends on priorities of weight & size over durability.
munro90 - on 30 Apr 2012
In reply to Welsh Kate:
I'm also on the hunt for a new sleeping mat, and I'm pretty much settled on the NeoAir my last reservation is the 'rustly crisp packet' problem I've heard about. How bad do you find it? Does it disturb your sleep?
Also opinions on 2/3 vs full length?
PeterM - on 30 Apr 2012

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pacific-Outdoor-Equipment-Thermo-Regular/dp/B000VUUCXY

http://pacoutdoor.com/sleeping-pads/view/peak-elite-ac

I got the one in the top link, but it doesn't appear to be available anymore. The bottom lonk is the nearest I can find on their website. I got the Ether Long version. It rolls down and fits into my Thermarest ultralite 3/4 bag so takes no more space in my rucsac although obviously it's heavier ( but I still regard it as quite light) The tubes running from head to toe instead of side to side are great for keeping you on the mat and the thickness is great for warmth too. The trick seems to be not to inflate until solid as you sort of bounce off but inflate to 70-80% and you'll sink into it a wee bit. Can't rate it highly enough. Used it for wild camping in the northern corries on snow and it was excellent. Takes a bit of puff to inflate. Got mine for 44 on Amazon. I think it's about 60-80 for the newer versions.
PeterM - on 30 Apr 2012
In reply to PeterM:

...also it is not noisy or crisp packet-like...
Welsh Kate - on 30 Apr 2012
In reply to munro90:
I don't find it particularly rustly, and it doesn't annoy me, but that kind of thing's personal anyway. It's certainly a bit noisier than my Exped mat, but is a lot lighter and smaller to pack. I prefer a full-length mat but a lot of friends are perfectly happy with 3/4 length.

Peter's absolutely right that you don't want these mats too firm - a bit of give allows it to conform much better to your body shape and provide better support.
LJC - on 30 Apr 2012
In reply to The New NickB: Got an all season one and I'm very happy with it. No problems with noise, and way better than my self-deflating Alpkit one.

My only quibble is with the stupid double-bag-with-nozzle-pump contraption. Seriously Thermarest, what is the point of making a super light and warm mat, and then adding some extra weight with a badly thought out pump system that barely works in my warm living room with bare hands, let alone out in the cold with gloves. I'll stick to lungs, thanks.
wilkesley - on 30 Apr 2012
In reply to Kai:

I too have a Neoair, which I like. However, I found that I tended to roll off it. I have now got an Exped Synmat UL, which I don't roll off (the tubes go the opposite way). Apart from the not rolling off, I generally prefer the Synmat, but either are loads better than my old yellow Karrimat
jon on 30 Apr 2012

I asked the same sort of questions here: http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=502103&v=1#x6835700 Some intersting answers. I haven't bought anything yet, but when I do, it's almost certainly not going to be a NeoAir - highest price and one of the lower R-values. At the moment I'm leaning towards Big Agnes(!)
AJ Trevor on 30 Apr 2012 - 10.254.68.4 [zen-inetgw-2b.nhs.uk]

I wouldn't use it for a bivi in the cuillin but if you are going to use it in a tent then its a fantastic mat.

zakmacro - on 30 Apr 2012
If you can put up with the crinkly noise when you move the neo air is one of the warmest and lightests mats around

And as with all therm-a-rest gear you get a life time warranty!
Top bit'o gear
Pete Potter - on 01 May 2012
In reply to The New NickB: Have a look at the Exped range of matt's. they are the guys who really re invented the idea of air matt's and as such have a better range from the original Down Air Matt through to the Ultralite range which has a down filled and a synthetic filled one which gives you a price option.
I've had a Down Matt for years now and love it.
ads.ukclimbing.com
Vaughany89 - on 01 May 2012
In reply to The New NickB: Got one, love. Used down to - 7 and still warm. It does sound like your lying on a bag of crisps though. I'd recommend the trekker version over the standard if durability is an issue. Doesn't rustle as much either.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.