/ Aldi bike stuff Thursday

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
999thAndy on 30 Apr 2012
Just so you know - bike stuff's back at Aldi on Thursday. Handy really as I bust my rear light on Tuesday :)

http://aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/offers_week18Thursday12.htm
poeticshambles - on 30 Apr 2012
In reply to 999thAndy: I'm all over the front wire mesh basket.
Toby S - on 30 Apr 2012
In reply to poeticshambles:

I'm going to get that for my carbon roadie and put pretty flowers in it and everyfink.
Lord of Starkness - on 30 Apr 2012
In reply to 999thAndy:

Hope they do the blue or black track mitts in my size -- whilst the red ones match my bikes colour scheme they clash with my club kit.

Been using Aldi track mitts for a couple of years now -- I normally get 2 pairs and they last me for the season. I just chuck them away when they get too manky as Lady Starkness won't let them anywhere near her washing machine as the dye runs out of the leather palms!
ripper - on 30 Apr 2012
In reply to 999thAndy: wonder how good that softshell top is - for biking and maybe even climbing in. at 15 certainly a bargain, i might get two!
anyone got one?
Steve John B - on 30 Apr 2012
In reply to 999thAndy: Ta for the info Andy.
Lord of Starkness - on 30 Apr 2012
In reply to ripper:
> (In reply to 999thAndy) wonder how good that softshell top is - for biking and maybe even climbing in. at 15 certainly a bargain, i might get two!
> anyone got one?

Dunno about that particular model of softshell -- but I bought a different style top in a previous offer and it's great for cold damp days in the winter. I've also got their rain jacket -- cheap as chips but perfectly serviceable -- packs so small that it's also handy as an emergency rain jacket when you go on holiday and want to keep luggage to a minimum.
ripper - on 30 Apr 2012
In reply to Lord of Starkness: yeah i have the rain jacket too - I find it great as a belay jacket as well as on the bike, as you say weighs nowt, packs to a small ball and clips to the harness nicely.
gethin_allen on 30 Apr 2012
In reply to 999thAndy:
I may be tempted to have a look at a 4.99 track pump.
Tiberius - on 30 Apr 2012
In reply to gethin_allen:
> I may be tempted to have a look at a 4.99 track pump.

I've had one of those for about 3 years now, works fine. I was warned that the pressure guage on cheap track pumps shouldn't be relied upon, but it's certainly ok for normal riding.
climbingpixie - on 30 Apr 2012
In reply to ripper:

I'm a little disappointed that it only comes in white/pink for ladies but at that price I might be able to cope with looking like a gurl. It doesn't go with my white/turquise colour scheme on the bike though...
dek - on 30 Apr 2012
In reply to 999thAndy:
Spotted some Gore Windstopper softshell cycle jackets for 24 and non Gore at 18 in TKmax tnite, made by 'Brilkko'? Look good for. Chilly weather/spring.
Lord of Starkness - on 01 May 2012
In reply to gethin_allen:
> (In reply to 999thAndy)
> I may be tempted to have a look at a 4.99 track pump.

I've had two of them in recent years -- they might be OK for general use for MTB's and Hybrids where tyre pressures are lower, but both of mine fell apart after about 6 - months use at road (110psi) pressures. The epoxy glue holding the top to the barrel failed. You get what you pay for.

I've now got a different one costing under 20 from my LBS -- it's the model he uses in his workshop - even though he sells pumps costing over twice the price. I know Bill and he doesn't give me any BS.
Tiberius - on 01 May 2012
In reply to Lord of Starkness:
> ...at road (110psi) pressures.

Jeez...you're not one for comfort then. I generally have mine at 90-100 and the aldi pump is fine for that.

> You get what you pay for.

A common soundbite, unfortunately sometimes you don't get what you pay for, sometimes you pay too much for things, and occasionally you get good value, they all apply equally as soundbites sometimes.

FrankBooth - on 01 May 2012
In reply to Tiberius:
Windjackets for 10 are great - pack really small and only used once in a while anyway.
I was going to get the softshell jacket last year, but the fit didn't feel right across the shoulders (medium too tight, Large too baggy).
Other bits like the saddlebag (5) are great for kids and general pootling.
ads.ukclimbing.com
Lord of Starkness - on 01 May 2012
In reply to Tiberius:
> (In reply to Lord of Starkness)
> [...]
>
> Jeez...you're not one for comfort then.

My tyres recommended pressures are 100 to 130psi - but if it's wet I'll drop the pressures to 90. If I'm riding a 10 or a 25 I'll go up to 120. I found I picked up more punctures at less than 90 - particularly snakebites due to the shocking state of the lanes round our way!

I do have a comfy saddle and well padded shorts, and the curves in my Ribble Gran Fondo frame are pretty good at ironing out road chatter.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.