/ Cold weather sleeping mats

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Flinticus - on 30 Apr 2012
(beofre I start I have read the other thread on sleeping mats but my query is more R related)

After a cold Friday night where the outside water iced over (would you guess its almost May!) and I only got to sleep after using my emergency space blanket wrapped around the lower two thirds of my sleeping bag, what would UKC people recommend for wild camping on what was really a '4 season' night, still keeping in mind weight considerations.
wilkesley - on 30 Apr 2012
In reply to Flinticus:

I have been comfy on my Synmat UL when the temp outside the tent was -3. Normally, if I feel cold I just wear my Rab Generator inside my bag.
In reply to wilkesley:
Thanks.

I was wearing a RAB photon hoodie (and a merion t-shirt, light gillet & a Patagonia top as well).
jonnie3430 - on 30 Apr 2012
In reply to Flinticus:

Take a jacket off and wrap it round your legs? In real cold I sleep wearing baselayer and fleece and have my downy wrapped around legs with both feet in a sleeve. Means I can carry a lighter sleeping bag (as you've figured.) I use two karrimats though (I puncture thermarests too easily,) I don't think one is enough and my tent is a warm mountain one.
In reply to jonnie3430:
Ha! No way was I taking the jackets off to wrap round my legs! that was keeping my organs & torso warm. As you can see, I was waering all my clothes.
lardbrain - on 30 Apr 2012
In reply to Flinticus: feet inside your rucksack?
Boulderdash86 on 30 Apr 2012
In reply to Flinticus: Down Mat and feet inside rucksack with a synthetic soft shell on (primaloft or something) kept me tostie in North Wales in Jan this year!!!!!
needvert on 30 Apr 2012
In reply to Flinticus:

Thermarest Xtherm seems to be their nicest mat regarding weight and R value.

Get an overbag? Get a warmer bag? Presumably you wore all your clothes to bed, bring more clothes? (Down jacket with hood?)

Eat a big fatty meal before going to sleep?

Feet in backpack works a treat!

I'm thinking of down jacket with decent hood + vireo, dunno how cold I'll last in that though.
http://www.featheredfriends.com/picasso/bags/Layering.html
In reply to Flinticus:
God! Why didn't I think of feet inside backpack! I had them on the backpack.
Ricky Martin - on 30 Apr 2012
In reply to Flinticus: I'd second the Exped Synmat UL thick warm and quite quiet. But if your that cold maybe you just need a warmer sleeping bag?
the real slim shady - on 30 Apr 2012
In reply to Flinticus: or try a liner. You can get fleece ones which are very warm when combined with a sleeping bag
Paul F - on 30 Apr 2012
In reply to Flinticus:

Exped Downmat 7 dlx. Nice.
aliander7 - on 01 May 2012
In reply to Flinticus: another vote for the synmat ul, have been cold with about any mat I've tried, POE ether, therm-a-rest etc., the synmat works really well, to a point where it may make my downmat obsolete. The material on the downmat is tougher but obviously more bulk and weight, although the short version is quite packable still.
nniff - on 01 May 2012
In reply to Flinticus:

It's generally warmer to use jackets as blankets inside a sleeping bag instead of wearing them. Don't ask me why - but many, many nights of experimentation have convinced me of this. Ergo, if it's baltic down jackets etc get dragged into my pit
colinkeb - on 01 May 2012
In reply to Flinticus: if you are worried about weight do what Ive done, ive got a thermarest lite 3/4 which i use all year round. in winter i have a multimat 9.5 mil 5 season foam mat which ive cut into sections and joined with gaffer tape so it folds concertina style and is used to replace my foam back in my rucksack. at night this then goes under the thermarest and adds massively to the r/tog rating for 20.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.