/ Sky at Le Tour - how's it going to work?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Enty - on 30 Apr 2012
I think I know a little bit about cycling but can't work out how Sky are going to go for the green jersey AND get Wiggo on the podium.

It's 14 years since Telecom did it with Ullrich and Zabel and Rabobank were close in 2008.

Any ideas? Cav and Wiggo aren't very forthcoming in interviews.

E
a concerned citizen - on 30 Apr 2012
In reply to Enty: I'm not sure it's been decided if he's going for green.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/mar/16/mark-cavendish-tour-de-france-olympics

> Any ideas? Cav and Wiggo aren't very forthcoming in interviews.

I think it has the potential to go badly wrong and end up delivering nothing.

And, as an aside, I fancy Boonen for Olympic gold. I think 9 laps of Box hill with a full strength field might prove too much for Cav.
fxceltic on 30 Apr 2012
In reply to a concerned citizen:
> (In reply to Enty) I'm not sure it's been decided if he's going for green.
>
> http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/mar/16/mark-cavendish-tour-de-france-olympics
>
> [...]
>
> I think it has the potential to go badly wrong and end up delivering nothing.
>
> And, as an aside, I fancy Boonen for Olympic gold. I think 9 laps of Box hill with a full strength field might prove too much for Cav.

I thought that about box hill, I find it typically british that with the chance to rig the race in favour of the home rider, as every other nation would have done, weve gone and made it about as difficult for cav as we possibly could have

re the original post, I dont think it will be too much of a problem for them.

Tiberius - on 30 Apr 2012
In reply to Enty:

Dunno, tbh the demise of htc was a sad day for me, the tactics of the leadout train was a joy to watch in my view.

Having said that, I'm not sure of the quality of the rest of the field at the moment. Evens got his win at last and he's getting on a bit now, as are most of the other sprinters. Contador will be watched like a hawk from now on. I doubt (Andy) Schlek will ever learn to time trial. Probably as good a time as any to go for both.
lost1977 - on 30 Apr 2012

dont worry about Cav and box hill (i'm local)
Chris the Tall - on 30 Apr 2012
In reply to Enty:

> Any ideas? Cav and Wiggo aren't very forthcoming in interviews.
>
Hardly a suprise !

A lot can happen between now and the start of the tour, but my guess, as I've posted on another thread is that sky will concentrate on Cav for the giro and wiggins for the tour. Maybe Cav will only ride the first week, so he can rest before the Olympics. Mind you, I reckon not having a whole team dedicated to him, and therefore losing a few sprints in the tour, will help Cav in the olympics.

With the exception of Eisel and maybe one other, Sky will probably pick a team who can support Wiggins in the hills. It will suit both riders to have a team capable of keeping them out of trouble near the front of the peloton, but they'll only want to have to chase down breaks that threaten the GC, rather than a stage win.

So Cav will have to be content with a couple of stage wins and no green jersey.

Unknown Climber - on 30 Apr 2012
In reply to Enty:

Given Wiggo's age and his form over the past 12 months I think it makes sense for the team to go all out to support him and see what he can achieve in TDF this year. With AC's ban and Sky arguably having a much stronger team than Evans or the Schlecks he has real chance this year.

Maybe by being less focused on green some other teams will be forced to do some chasing of breakaways. If that happens Cav has the class to pick up some stage wins without the whole team chasing down breakaways and organising a train.

Looks like Cav might be aiming to go hard at stage wins in the Giro and Olympic gold and accept that the team ride for Wiggo in TDF this year.
tim000 - on 30 Apr 2012
In reply to Enty: the giro team looks to be built around cav . the TDF team , i imagine would be pretty much the same as the tour of romandy team with eisle and froome coming in and thomas dropping out to do the track.
TimB - on 30 Apr 2012
In reply to Enty:
> I think I know a little bit about cycling but can't work out how Sky are going to go for the green jersey AND get Wiggo on the podium.
>

Maybe that's not the plan?

Just like last year was the best chance in ages for British Cycling to win the worlds, this year is the best chance in ages for them to get a british rider to win the Tour (no Contador, loads of TT kms, Wiggins on form and Evans and AndyS looking a bit ropey). I imagine the deal is that the team works for Cav in the opening flat stages, Wiggins in the mountains and Cav on the Champs Elysée.

Cav gets stage wins, Wiggins gets a good run at yellow, and the green jersey is a potential bonus (but becomes a priority if Wiggins crashes out or blows badly in the mountains).

victorclimber - on 01 May 2012
In reply to Tiberius: couldnt agree more about Htc some of the best cycling I have enjoyed the lead outs ,awesome
nniff - on 01 May 2012
In reply to lost1977:
> (In reply to a concerned citizen)
>
> dont worry about Cav and box hill (i'm local)

Indeed - if I can get up Box Hill on a fixie, I'm sure Cav can steam up it. It's not that long and there's a fair recovery period each lap
fxceltic on 01 May 2012
In reply to nniff:
> (In reply to lost1977)
> [...]
>
> Indeed - if I can get up Box Hill on a fixie, I'm sure Cav can steam up it. It's not that long and there's a fair recovery period each lap

i havent yet checked the exact route, but it would be the repetition and the guaranteed attacks each time that worry me a bit, especially with a team of only 5.
He does require more looking after in these situations than someone like Boonen, Thor or Rojas does and that could tell come the end.
LastBoyScout on 01 May 2012
In reply to nniff:

My mate's been posting on Facebook that the Council signs have gone up for resurfacing Box Hill - should have started work last week :-)
John Rushby - on 01 May 2012
In reply to fxceltic:

On a purely commercial team basis, Cav will struggle, but on a national team basis, I think he stands a very good chance. I don't see another team with the depth of the GB team, other than Australia.
Enty - on 01 May 2012
In reply to nniff:
> (In reply to lost1977)
> [...]
>
> Indeed - if I can get up Box Hill on a fixie, I'm sure Cav can steam up it. It's not that long and there's a fair recovery period each lap

Try doing it 15 times in quick succession at 30kmh - I've been to watch the Worlds twice, in Varese and Mendrisio and that's basically what happens - very similar courses to the Olympic RR circuit. It's amazing watching big big name riders getting shelled with a few laps to go then the really classy riders come through at the end - Ballan, Evans......

E
Enty - on 01 May 2012
In reply to lost1977:
> (In reply to a concerned citizen)
>
> dont worry about Cav and box hill (i'm local)

Really? See my post above.

E
a concerned citizen - on 02 May 2012
In reply to Enty:
> (In reply to nniff)
> [...]
>
> It's amazing watching big big name riders getting shelled with a few laps to go then the really classy riders come through at the end - Ballan, Evans......

This and every other rider has an incentive not to end up in a sprint with Cav at the end so the boot will be put in even harder as happened on the hills in Milan San Remo.

fxceltic on 02 May 2012
In reply to John Rushby:
> (In reply to fxceltic)
>
> On a purely commercial team basis, Cav will struggle, but on a national team basis, I think he stands a very good chance. I don't see another team with the depth of the GB team, other than Australia.

and the belgians
ripper - on 02 May 2012
In reply to fxceltic: Look at the Belgians!
Lord of Starkness - on 02 May 2012
> (In reply to Enty)
> [...]
>
> This and every other rider has an incentive not to end up in a sprint with Cav at the end so the boot will be put in even harder as happened on the hills in Milan San Remo.

One difference between the Olympic RR course and MSR and some of the other lumpy 'words' courses is that the last big climb is still around 50km from the finish and the last 15k are virtually flat. With teams limited to 5 riders no team can control the race the way that GB did in Copenhagen, and it will take an exceptional rider to get away on Box Hill and stay away all the way to The Mall. I can see a big chase led by Millar and Wiggo to get Cav within striking distance of the line - with Swifty being Cav's leadout man.

Be a great race to sit back and watch on't tellybox.

ads.ukclimbing.com
fxceltic on 02 May 2012
In reply to Lord of Starkness: who do we think will be the 5th man?
John Rushby - on 02 May 2012
In reply to fxceltic:

Can I put £5 on Jon Tiernan Locke?
Chris the Tall - on 02 May 2012
In reply to fxceltic:
Geraint Thomas surely - think he has given up on getting in the track team and will concentrate on the road
In reply to John Rushby:
> (In reply to fxceltic)
>
> Can I put £5 on Jon Tiernan Locke?

Good shout from leftfield, but I reckon it will more likely be Stannard or Jez Hunt -- real workhorses who will be prepared to give their all for the cause. A lot depends on how well people come through Le Tour -- If Brad makes the podium and Cav wins on the Champs Elysee I guess both will still be 'on a high' a week later.

AlisonSmiles - on 02 May 2012
In reply to Lord of Starkness: Olympics selection will take place before the Tour so it'll be interesting to see which way round the Tour decisions and Olympic decisions impact each other.
HughM - on 02 May 2012
In reply to Chris the Tall:
> (In reply to fxceltic)
> Geraint Thomas surely - think he has given up on getting in the track team and will concentrate on the road

Ben Swift has given up on the track team and is concentrating on getting into the road team. Thomas is still very much part of the persuit team.

My guess for the fifth man would be Stannard.
Liam M - on 02 May 2012
In reply to John Rushby: Is it vertical enough for JTL to be in his element? If they truly want Cav to have a chance of being there at the end, wouldn't a diesel of a rider to drag him there not be more likely?
John Rushby - on 02 May 2012
In reply to Liam M:

Possibly but JTL and Thwaitesy have been putting in some pretty grinding efforts of late in Belgium and France.

Chris the Tall - on 02 May 2012
In reply to HughM:
> (In reply to Chris the Tall)
> [...]
>
> Ben Swift has given up on the track team and is concentrating on getting into the road team. Thomas is still very much part of the persuit team.
>
Ah yes, my mistake

> My guess for the fifth man would be Stannard.

In which case, I agree
Escher - on 02 May 2012
In reply to Escher:

Class!
La Shamster on 22 Jun 2012
In reply to Enty:

Hi Enty,

It's not! I never wanted Cav in the Sky Team for this very reason. (Obviously I'm a bit of a Cav stalker)
http://www.ukclimbing.com/images/dbpage.html?id=184188
Cav's got the air of a continental rider and as soon as the Olympic year is over should find a way of going back into a continental team. Only my opinion :-)

La Sham
Toby S - on 22 Jun 2012
In reply to Tiberius:
> (In reply to Enty)
>

> Having said that, I'm not sure of the quality of the rest of the field at the moment. Evens got his win at last and he's getting on a bit now, as are most of the other sprinters. Contador will be watched like a hawk from now on. I doubt (Andy) Schlek will ever learn to time trial. Probably as good a time as any to go for both.

Schleck will the miss Le Tour because of an injury sustained at the Dauphine (probably a twisted neck) and Contador's ban is in force till August.

I agree with what others have said, they'll concentrate on getting Wiggins contending for the Yellow and let Cav grab sprints when he can. I wonder whether the main focus for him will be the Olympic race and he'll bow out before the end of the tour? Although winning at the Champs Elysees for the fourth time in a row might be something he fancies a shot at.

Ah feck knows!

endless winter on 22 Jun 2012
In reply to La Shamster:

Cav is the Ronney of cycling! :p a bit of a chav and over hyped up

;P
Eagle River - on 22 Jun 2012
In reply to endless winter:
> (In reply to La Shamster)
>
> Cav is the Ronney of cycling! :p a bit of a chav and over hyped up
>
> ;P

Who the hell is Ronney?!
endless winter on 22 Jun 2012
In reply to Eagle River:

Rooney, too many n's
Mr Fuller on 22 Jun 2012
In reply to Escher: That's an awesome clip! I never know quite what to make of Brad in TV interviews but that's ironed a few things out...
La Shamster on 22 Jun 2012
In reply to endless winter:

Ha not biting ;-)
Saintly - on 22 Jun 2012
In reply to Enty: I reckon Cav's pretty capable of looking after himself too, he's proven that quite a few times when his train has gone astray.
tim000 - on 22 Jun 2012
In reply to John Rushby:
> (In reply to fxceltic)
>
> Can I put £5 on Jon Tiernan Locke?

not for the olympics , but might be a good call for the worlds . bit of a hilly coarse this year dispite being in holland . could be one of the reasons he has been seen training with team sky (apart from the obvious one).
balmybaldwin - on 26 Jun 2012
In reply to Enty:

Cav interview is worth a look: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/18600273

Sounds very like he is not going for green - or perhaps not in the usual way
lost1977 - on 26 Jun 2012
In reply to Enty:
> (In reply to lost1977)
> [...]
>
> Really? See my post above.
>
> E

did i also forget to mention i'm a event steward for the race and accidents can happen

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.