/ Video feedback please
The video covers the three main methods for abseiling using only a rope. Which is taught in the summer mountain leader syllabus.
I will be assessed on this so your feedback would be very helpful.
Just my £0.02
EDITING : Make the text more legible and in a more readble position, ie, juxtapose it against the sky. Lose the sounds of the wind in the background and just use a voice-over. Also, I wouldn't use the silly pictures and moving text at the beginning and end. Have a search on YouTube for videos from Libby Peter [there are some in the video section on UKC too] to get an idea of shot frame size, text editing and probably some other good ideas too.
TECHNIQUE : Make a point of going in a direct line from the anchor, even though it's obvious. I like having the video from a rear position though, good touch. Talk about using your hands, eg, letting rope through and how best to lock off if needed.
Also, if you're telling people to wear a helmet for safety, wear a helmet yourself :)
A few points for you, and some are potentially safety issues.
Classic Abseil: You didn't actually put a twist round your breaking arm, just held the rope in your hand. You should also mention that you need to go down sideways keeping the leg with the rope going round it lower than the other leg. If you do it the other way round you can come unwrapped from the rope.
Angel Wings: You didn't wrap the rope round your arm. Same mistake as the classic. I tend to teach under the elbow, round the wrist and the rope comes into your hand from the little finger and out past the thumb. Hope that makes sense.
Thank you for you feedback.
I will definitely take on board your comments regarding filming and also the techniques themselves. And I will wear a helmet next time :)
Hi pretty good effort with soem good info in there - my thoughts.....
others have highlighted the twist, helmet and text etc. so other bits in random order
1) if this is an instructional video what is all that 'mates go mad' stuff at the beginning (and end) about ? drop it
2) sort your over dubbing out, it's poor sound quality in mono as well,
3) personally I like a pretty robust jacket so that it wont get trashed when doing these
abs - good advice for learners in the 300 quid Patagucci top.
4) if advising novices i's suggest an additional safety rope, it's pretty unforgiving!
5) use 1 rope not 2 in your video - as you dont mention that at all and this is aimed at ML.
6) its not really a podcast is it, call it a video.
7) i'd test that anchor more 'obviously'
8) dont use technical language ('use blocking vs random') in your video, its not to show your tutors you have remembered that, think of your audience, they may not know what these things mean (or care)
Elsewhere on the site
As a long-standing name in the UK rockshoe market, Scarpa have a loyal following and many much-loved models. As a fan... Read more
I am Matthew Phillips, I'm nearly 14 and I was born without my right arm below the elbow. I started climbing at taster... Read more
WINTERFEST 2014 at Outside in Hathersage 6th and 7th December 2014 Outside's ever popular Winterfest event is back... Read more
Everybody who has used a gas cartridge stove in cold conditions knows the lower the temperature, the poorer the performance of... Read more
Nick Livesey discovered the mountains of Snowdonia over a decade ago and finally moved there a year and a half ago, quitting a... Read more