/ Top Ascents this Week

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Steve Perry - on 01 May 2012
Why not add on a list for climbers who have done the most routes in a week? This would give the lower grade climbers a chance of stardom.
airbournegrapefruit on 01 May 2012
In reply to Steve Perry: A very good idea!
Dave 88 - on 01 May 2012
In reply to Steve Perry:

Would it not just end up being "People who've done a Stanage 100 this week"?
mark20 - on 01 May 2012
In reply to Steve Perry: and "Climbers who had the most fun this week"
In reply to Dave 88: Hopefully it would end up with people who enjoy climbing and have shown that by climbing a lot of routes in a week.
RupertD - on 01 May 2012
In reply to mark20:
> (In reply to Steve Perry) and "Climbers who had the most fun this week"

Perhaps a little elitist. Why not list everyone who went climbing this week, or, better, everyone that posted on UKC to be fairer to those too busy to get out?

Or, fairer still, just list everyone in the world. Might be tricky, and no-one would have time to read it, so how about no list, but an instruction to imagine such a list.
ericinbristol - on 01 May 2012
In reply to Steve Perry:

How about 'Top ascents that might have happened this week if it hadn't been pouring rain AGAIN'....
Ben Farley - on 01 May 2012
In reply to Steve Perry:
This would give the lower grade climbers a chance of stardom.

Why should they? Surely the point of the top ascents list is to highlight the great performances. Climbing 50 lower grade routes in a week (or whatever manages to get on a list in a given week) may be a great individual performance requiring a bit of effort and some time, but it's hardly worthy of "stardom". Even by way of a minor thread on ukc.

The top ascents thread is cool because you get to see what harder things have been done in a week, what's in condition and who climbed them. I can't really see why anyone would look at a "most ascents" thread.
jkarran - on 01 May 2012
In reply to RupertD:

> Or, fairer still, just list everyone in the world. Might be tricky, and no-one would have time to read it, so how about no list, but an instruction to imagine such a list.

A little harsh but funny :)
In reply to Ben Farley:
> (In reply to Steve Perry)
> This would give the lower grade climbers a chance of stardom.
>
I can't really see why anyone would look at a "most ascents" thread.

If you can't see why, read my first post on this thread.

Calder - on 01 May 2012
In reply to Steve Perry:

It's not very interesting though is it. Grades matter... fun doesn't.
jonnie3430 - on 01 May 2012
In reply to Dave 88:
>
> Would it not just end up being "People who've done a Stanage 100 this week"?

You can do more climbing in 10 multipitch routes than you can in 100 cragging routes.
Smiler H - on 01 May 2012
In reply to Steve Perry: You'd just end up with better climbers on this too, a day of soloing a load of routes due to no partner would probably produce more ticks.

Plus why do lower grade climbers deserve stardom? Do they even want it? I'd argue none of the people getting onto those lists do it for this reason and if lower grade climbers want to be on a list then they simply have to go and headpoint an easy but scary E5.

Surely this is going the opposite way from elitism??
Dave 88 - on 01 May 2012
In reply to jonnie3430:

That's kinda my point.
valentinesbabe - on 01 May 2012
In reply to Steve Perry:
How about a "Who wants to be a star this week" list? That way anyone who wants stardom, no matter what grade they climb, can post their weekly ascents and get the stardom they crave and we could all have great fun reading about them!!!! :D
chris687 - on 01 May 2012
In reply to Steve Perry:

So is there actually a "top ascents this week" thread or log? That would be quite interesting, I'd like to see what grades people are actually climbing at the top end so I know how far far off I am. Hopefully stating the style and any ethics involved in the ascent.
bouldery bits - on 01 May 2012
In reply to Steve Perry:

Steve,

I actually like this idea - although it may be more biased towards the boulderers!
metal arms on 02 May 2012
In reply to RupertD:
> (In reply to mark20)
> [...]
>
> Perhaps a little elitist. Why not list everyone who went climbing this week, or, better, everyone that posted on UKC to be fairer to those too busy to get out?
>
> Or, fairer still, just list everyone in the world. Might be tricky, and no-one would have time to read it, so how about no list, but an instruction to imagine such a list.

Genius.
Eagle River - on 02 May 2012
In reply to valentinesbabe:
> How about a "Who wants to be a star this week" list? That way anyone who wants stardom, no matter what grade they climb, can post their weekly ascents and get the stardom they crave and we could all have great fun reading about them!!!! :D

We have that already, it's called the fit club:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=503751&v=1#x6856013

mrchewy - on 02 May 2012
In reply to Steve Perry: Or how about new PBs? Those who've jumped a grade or three that week? Maybe done it with the least climbs too, so the list isn't that long. That way, it would work for all climbers.
ads.ukclimbing.com
Lord_ash2000 - on 02 May 2012
In reply to Steve Perry: The real feat with the top accents list is to get in trad, sport and bouldering in the same week. Not managed that yet.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.