/ ML Assessment.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
griffen - on 01 May 2012
I have my ML Assessment in the Lake District next week and whilst I'm pretty happy with everything I think I need to know I welcome any last minute hints or tips and general advice anyone is kind enough to throw in my direction.

highclimber - on 01 May 2012
In reply to griffen: Make sure your waterproofs are working properly! you don't want to get wet on the first day of exped!
butteredfrog - on 01 May 2012
In reply to griffen:

Maintain an air of enthusiasm.
poeticshambles - on 01 May 2012
In reply to griffen: Work hard and always smile when things get tough. Not that I've done ML, nor am I good at climbing, but that advice has always served me well. Good luck.
jezb1 - on 01 May 2012
In reply to griffen: Enjoy it! If you're prepared it'll be easy.
spider27 - on 01 May 2012
In reply to griffen: Trust your compass! If your pacing is ok and you're on your bearing you will be there or thereabouts.
earlsdonwhu - on 01 May 2012
In reply to griffen: Navigation, navigation and navigation ................. if this is spot on everything else falls into place.

Keep concentrating even when you are not leading a leg.
Twadogs - on 01 May 2012
In reply to griffen: Take the first leg on the night nav exercise, as you'll be sure of where you are starting from.
Enjoy it should be a good week with like minded people.
When you lead look after your group don't just bury head in the map and compass.
Some of the group will probably get on your nerves by the end of the week as you get more tired. Recognise this and have strategies to stop it becoming an issue for yourself. They won't be much time for YOU time.
And celebrate well at the end! Good luck
duckman - on 02 May 2012
In reply to griffen: Use handrails/features whenever you can as well when doing Nav. Remember that you will have to know exactly where you are even during other peoples legs. Breathe and relax if you can. Don't panic and don't be afrais to stop the group if you need to confirm that you are happy with where you are.
duckman - on 02 May 2012
In reply to duckman: Oh and we got realy long legs...Two people failed on mine because they set off on a bearing for something 1.5k away. Use attack points and break up long legs.
ads.ukclimbing.com
Mark Stevenson - on 02 May 2012
In reply to griffen: When you are navigating/leading be precise, comprehensive and confident.

- Always use _exact_ distances, heights and timings.
- Always try to visualize and memorise as much information from the map as possible.
- Always be prepared to give a comprehensive (and confident) brief to the group/assessor before you start leading a leg, pointing things out on the ground as well as the map.
- Always check timings as a navigation aid and remember that you can run a stopwatch on moderate visibility navigation stages as an alternative/back-up to pacing.
- Always try to identify 3 features (ideally contours/terrain) that pinpoint your current location or will let you know that you have reached your next destination.

Anyway, have fun and good luck.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.