/ What's on your wishlist?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
The Ivanator - on 01 May 2012
So what routes are on your wishlist, and what prompts you to put a climb on there?
Most of the climbs on mine are slightly aspirational, things I'd need a strong partner or a bit of an improvement to tick - but I try to keep the list realistic, nothing on there more than one grade above my best onsight trad lead.
It is usually a dramatic photo or seeing a route first hand that push particular lines into my consciousness. Sometimes it is something a partner has done and raved about.
My top UK targets for this summer are
Lunakhod, Matchless, Moonraker and Skeleton Ridge - I'll be well chuffed if I tick that lot.
Al Randall on 01 May 2012
In reply to The Ivanator: Dream/Liberator at Bosigran, Great Wall on Cloggy, Cassin route on Piz Badile and North Face of the Eiger so that I will have completed the 6 "grand courses". That last one may prove difficult as I have had a couple of epics on there previously and I'm not getting any younger.

Al
lithos on 01 May 2012
In reply to The Ivanator:

tons of stuff tat looks good and is feasible so that i might remember when in the area.
victim of mathematics - on 01 May 2012

Ooh, I'm very psyched for Matchless. And Sacre Couer. I'm hoping for some culm action in a few week's time.

Basically this is my wishlist:
http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/set.php?id=97

But if I could only do one route off it this year, it'd be Grey Panther at Kilt Rock.

Other, sub E1 things I'm most excited about? Dragon and Fionn Buttress on Carnmore, Centurion on the Ben, Scavenger at Gogarth and Great/Bow Combination on Cloggy. Oh, and all of these:
http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/set.php?id=196

Enjoy Lunakhod, it's proper ace. I remember after doing loads of brilliant climbing I looked up from a good rest to see that I was only half way up, and there was loads more brilliantness to go :)
Ybot Htulk - on 01 May 2012

C'mon Ivan, Get in touch and we'll go and do Matchless and Lunakod
jezb1 - on 01 May 2012
In reply to The Ivanator: Cemetry Gates, Spider Wall and Comes The Dervish. Going to get them all ticked this month..... hopefully

Lots more as well on there as well!
Goucho on 01 May 2012
In reply to Al Randall: Would you actually go for a third try on the Eiger - I'm on 2 failed attempts on that too, but naked nymphettes on wild horses wouldn't drag me back for a third.

The rest on your list are all brilliant though - Cassin on Piz Badile is a true classic.
highclimber - on 01 May 2012
In reply to jezb1: Let me know if you need a belayer for the Dervish. I did it a few years ago and would like to have another go at it (albeit on a top rope!).
The Ex-Engineer - on 01 May 2012
In reply to The Ivanator: Pretty much the same route that has been on it for a decade now - Beyond Good and Evil - however, whether I'll ever get round to being up for it when it is in condition is looking no more likely than it was 10 years ago...
bpmclimb - on 01 May 2012

Strange Little Girl at Wintour's. Looks fantastic, and for me is in that category of very hard, but (hopefully) not impossible.

Climbs that have beaten me repeatedly are always high on my to do list, especially if at grades I'm normally ok on; there's currently two of these, both at E2 5c - The Goblin King at Goblin Combe, and Bulging Flies on Fly Wall.
In reply to Ybot Htulk: Think I'm headed for the Lakes this weekend, and pretty busy through the rest of May. Should have some opportunities to hit the SW come June. Totally up for Matchless and Lunakhod.
In reply to jezb1: I've got to get back to the quarries and tick the Tube after my close encounter with it last time out! Sounds like you're going well if you've got eyes on the Dervish.
rustaldo - on 01 May 2012
In reply to The Ivanator: my wishlist is mainly made up of things i've seen in climbing films, or seen good pics of. a few are things i've tried and failed and would really like to try again, and some routes are there purely just because they've got cool names.

and the rest are mostly just things that look awesome and have great reputations.
Al Randall on 01 May 2012
In reply to Goucho: I honestly don't know. If someone I trusted and respected said "lets go for the Eiger" I might be tempted but I doubt that I would instigate an attempt. The Piz Badile should be straightforward I just need the weather window. Dream and Great Wall are both climbs that I should have managed in the past but for one reason or another just didn't make it. I've been up to do GW 3 times and there has always been someone on it. First time way, way back I bottled out 1/2 way up the first pitch. Needless to say you did not see many people trying it in the 70's. I've never even been down to try Dream.

Al
richardr - on 01 May 2012
In reply to The Ivanator: Resurrection! If there's one route this year, let it be that!
Postmanpat on 01 May 2012

Suicide Wall (Cratcliffe), Moonraker, Octo, Sirplum (Cheedale), Welsh 3000ers.

If I get them there's a list of about another 200!

ads.ukclimbing.com
Goucho on 01 May 2012
In reply to Al Randall: Trouble with the Eiger, even if you find someone to take most of the sharp end, it's no comfort when you get 'trapped' in a typical Eiger storm.

The night I spent at Death Bivi on my second attempt (at least we got as far as the top of the Ramp on the first attempt), in a nightmare of rain, hail, snow and gale force winds - all at the same time, was one of the worst experiences of my life. And the 2 day retreat from there under appalling conditions and constant bombardment, probably took 10 years off my life..lol

Piz Badile is a glorious romp, and GW on a moody overcast midweek day, when we were the only people on the crag, remains one of those truly great memories.

Dream/Liberator is brilliant - but I reckon Deja Vu is even better.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.