/ Cheapest way of staying in Chamonix

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Ross.Cooper - on 04 May 2012
I was just wondering if anyone could offer some advice on the cheapest way of staying in Cham, be it camping or bivvying just above Chamonix? Also, are there any places where you can easily leave your car for free for a few days? Thanks :)
Poco Loco - on 04 May 2012
In reply to Ross.Cooper:

The ski station chalet is cheap and close to the centre http://www.skistation.fr/index.php?lang=en . There is some unofficial "long term parking" around chamonix which seems to be tolerated, out of the town though.
Poco Loco - on 04 May 2012
In reply to Poco Loco:

But camping is cheaper of course.
Scott_vzr on 04 May 2012
In reply to Poco Loco: Not sure, camping has crept up to sometimes 20Euros a night.
In reply to Poco Loco: Would it be possible to bivvy/wild camp just up the hillside in the forest above cham?
ross - on 04 May 2012
In reply to Ross.Cooper: Hi Ross, you'll really struggle to doss anywhere round Chamonix. If you sleep in the woods you're likely to get caught and moved on, I've tried lots. You're better off going to a different (quieter) bit of the Alps if you want to doss at valley level. Camping Les Drus in Le Praz is good. Alternatively you can stay for free in the mountains. Chalet Austria near the Montenvers Hotel is a good example, I'll let you work out its exact location yourself.
As you drive into Cham there is a big layby on the left before you cross the Montenvers train tracks. It seems to be ok to park there long term for free.
I saw your other post-I would advise doing the Cordier in a day. If you want to do a route with a bivi, go for something like the Frendo.
Have a great trip, Ross.
In reply to ross: Cheers for the help :) Frendo looks on the cards as well :)
didntcomelast on 04 May 2012
In reply to Ross.Cooper: A few years ago we stayed in an abandoned ski lift building on not far above the entrance to the MB tunnel. The main building was a delapidated shell but there was a rough bothy building attached and we had a good nights sleep in there.
JonHarvey - on 06 May 2012
In reply to Ross.Cooper: Stayed in an old climbers cave (there are loads dotted around the moraine) by lac blanc (or is it bleu?) on the plan, off the first lift of the midi. We stayed there for 3 weeks in all. It was dry and free and wasn't obvious at all to tourists, walkers or climbers. We would walk down with an empty bag to save money on lift passes then walk up again full of food, climb for about 5 days then repeat. We got loads done in the Aiguilles and was an amazing experience. Wouldn't do it again but was cool for a season. Message me if you want some vague directions!
torquil on 06 May 2012
In reply to Ross.Cooper: For climbing in the Aguille Rouge the old Index cable car station is (or was two years ago) a fantastic bivi. Lots of space, stunning view and insitu mats to sleep on. Take the lift up with all your food and stay as long as you like, you get on routes before the firsts lifts arrive and everyone disappears in the evening...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.