/ The Pou Brothers - What shall I ask them?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
The Pou Brothers are a well known climbing duo from the Basque country.

I am going to interview them for UKClimbing.

Iker Pou, who seems to be the stronger sport climber of the pair, was interviewed by us back in 2010: http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=54563

But the pair together have a huge CV of alpine rock climbs and big walls from around the globe too.

Read more UKC News on them here:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/older.html?q=pou

What shall I ask them - is there anything you want to know? I have my own ideas of course, but it's always good to get more!

Thanks everyone,

Jack

GrahamD - on 04 May 2012
In reply to Jack Geldard - UKC Chief Editor:

At what point on a long multipitch route do you decide that it needs bolts and then how do you decide how many ?
flaneur - on 04 May 2012

Ask him why he accepts sponsorship from Red Bull (purveyors of vile cough-mixture tasting syrup drunk by Thai truck-drivers) well-known for not giving a sh!t about climbing or the natural world in any way other than as a marketing tool.
chris fox on 04 May 2012

I'll come out with a serious one.....

Would they think about climbing that desperate thing MacLeod's done up in the Scottish Isles.
abarro81 - on 04 May 2012
In reply to flaneur:
I can answer that one: Because it allows him to be a full time climber. You'd have to feel VERY strongly against a company to turn down sponsorship which allows you to live that lifestyle.
Nic on 04 May 2012

How about what they've done on grit?
Mr Lopez - on 04 May 2012
In reply to Nic:

I advance posted all the usual UKC questionnaire to avoid the trickling. Apparently it wasn't well received... ;)
Radioactiveman - on 05 May 2012

For an ice breaker ask if their name is pronounced poo ?
Morgan Woods - on 05 May 2012
In reply to Jack Geldard - UKC Chief Editor: Is action direct 9a.
In reply to GrahamD:
> (In reply to Jack Geldard - UKC Chief Editor)
>
> At what point on a long multipitch route do you decide that it needs bolts and then how do you decide how many ?

Thanks Graham, I'll ask them.

Jack
In reply to flaneur:
>
> Ask him why he accepts sponsorship from Red Bull (purveyors of vile cough-mixture tasting syrup drunk by Thai truck-drivers) well-known for not giving a sh!t about climbing or the natural world in any way other than as a marketing tool.

Ok, I'll ask them.

J
Hardonicus - on 05 May 2012
In reply to Jack Geldard - UKC Chief Editor: What grade is TPS and which is the best cragin the Peaks: Pule Hill or Running Hill Pits?
In reply to chris fox:
>
> I'll come out with a serious one.....
>
> Would they think about climbing that desperate thing MacLeod's done up in the Scottish Isles.

Nice one Chris, that's a good one.

Jack
In reply to Morgan Woods:
> (In reply to Jack Geldard - UKC Chief Editor) Is action direct 9a.

Cheers Morgan, I'll add that in.

Jack
puppythedog on 05 May 2012
How difficult is it to divorce your ego from your accomplishments (i'm guessing impossible) and when you are not succesful how do you ratify other people's coments about your routes against your own thoughts and feelingss. For example the Multi pitch route Orbayu where Nico Favresse and Adam Pustelnick suggested a grade lower.

(Please find a better way of wording the question if you ask it Jack)
bouldery bits - on 05 May 2012

What grade is Three Pebble Slab?

What plans have they got for the future, new routing or repeats that they have in the pipeline?

Chris
poeticshambles - on 05 May 2012
In reply to Radioactiveman: It is, their uncle is the great Mr. Hankey.
r0x0r.wolfo - on 05 May 2012
In reply to Jack Geldard - UKC Chief Editor: What is their favourite food?
chrisprescott - on 05 May 2012
In reply to Jack Geldard - UKC Chief Editor: Which of the 'Seven Walls on Seven Continents' did they get the most out of/ find the most challenging (i'm assuming the Antarctic one for the later of the two!)
In reply to puppythedog:
> How difficult is it to divorce your ego from your accomplishments (i'm guessing impossible) and when you are not succesful how do you ratify other people's coments about your routes against your own thoughts and feelingss. For example the Multi pitch route Orbayu where Nico Favresse and Adam Pustelnick suggested a grade lower.
>
> (Please find a better way of wording the question if you ask it Jack)

Thanks Puppythedog, good question.

Jack
In reply to Chris Craggs:
>
> What plans have they got for the future, new routing or repeats that they have in the pipeline?
>
>
> Chris

Cheers Chris, will do.

Jack
In reply to r0x0r.wolfo:
> (In reply to Jack Geldard - UKC Chief Editor) What is their favourite food?

Always a good question. Yum Yum! :-)
In reply to chrisprescott:
> (In reply to Jack Geldard - UKC Chief Editor) Which of the 'Seven Walls on Seven Continents' did they get the most out of/ find the most challenging (i'm assuming the Antarctic one for the later of the two!)

Excellent question - thanks Chris.

I am getting quite a list now.

Jack
Mark Reeves - on 05 May 2012
In reply to Jack Geldard - UKC Chief Editor: Hows you jack, I have this classic thought experiment for them.

A trolley is running out of control down a track. In its path are five people who have been tied to the track by a mad philosopher. Fortunately, you could flip a switch, which will lead the trolley down a different track to safety. Unfortunately, there is a single person tied to that track. Would they flip the switch or do nothing?

Also, could we have some Snog, Marry, Avoid type questions?
Phil Payne - on 05 May 2012

Can you ask them what would happen if you put an aeroplane on conveyor belt?
SteveSBlake - on 05 May 2012

We see them doing amazing things on long multi pitch routes in amazing places, both in articles and on video. I think they are very ballsy, But would love to know exactly how they accomplish these routes. How often do they bolt on the lead from aid, and then subsequently free/redpoint the route, etc. What is the hardest and best multi pitch they have onsight/flashed, as opposed to worked.

How often are the routes bolted on absiel? How do they conceive of and piece together these climbs given the holds are so small, and they are on relatively blank walls?

How often do they do what we would call trad? (I'm guessing quite often)

and to what extent does the whole video thing get on their nerves/in the
Smiler H - on 06 May 2012
In reply to Mark Reeves: You mean Shag, Marry or Kill? Much better than snog marry avoid!
Furanco C - on 06 May 2012

Do they see the future of big walls being simply more sustained, steeper, longer routes, or do they think there are still advances to be made in more technical wall and slab climbs?
In reply to Jack Geldard - UKC Chief Editor: How's Winnie?
Liam Brown - on 06 May 2012
In reply to Jurgan C:
Second that. They seem to enjoy putting up both, although I'm not sure how much of a statement that is as to what they consider cutting edge.
Liam Brown - on 06 May 2012
In reply to Liam Brown:
Or what they consider to be the more general direction towards which things are moving.
Damo on 06 May 2012
> (In reply to chrisprescott)
> [...]
>
> Excellent question - thanks Chris.
>

Along the same line, but ...

They're such good wall climbers I thought for Antarctica they would have gone to Queen Maud Land. The route they did on the Peninsula was a hard line on a nice peak, but kind of a mixed alpine ridge/face thing. Why no QML? Money? Are they planning to go back to Antarctica?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.