/ Mont Blanc acclimatisation

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
jonwright - on 04 May 2012
Myself and a couple of friends are doing Mt Blanc via the Gouter route in the summer and will be based in Chamonix. Does anyone have any suggestions for good acclimatisation routes in the area, nothing difficult, but getting up high and onto a glacier or exposed ridge would be ideal, either on Mt Blanc itself or other mountains in the area, as long as they are reasonably close to where we are staying.
Joe G - on 04 May 2012
In reply to jonwright:
Domes de Miage, the Rochfort Arete and the Midi-Plan traverse are all great exposed ridges, and Mont Blanc de Tacul is high and easy.
Mark / Alps - on 04 May 2012
In reply to jonwright:
Doing a route or two around the Albert Premier is a good warm up. Lots of easy choices around Aiguille de Tour, Fourche etc.
jonnylowes - on 04 May 2012
In reply to jonwright:

What worked for me:
Stayed Albert Premier 1 night. Tried two routes over two days on Aiguille du Tour. Voie normale and Col Superior du tour. Bad weather and the first time on glaciers didn't go too well. We had a party of 4 and 2 members had some degree of snow blindness on both days, make sure all your party have decent glasses! Coupled with the poor weather and crap route finding (right across the crevasses) we abandoned both attempts.

Day 3. Climbed with my regular climbing partner successfully on the Cosmiqes Arete, Aiguille du Midi. We had a late start and just made the cable car down.

Day 4. Started Gouter route, stayed in Gouter hut.

Day 5. Summited. I was probably aerobically the fittest at the time (3 of us summited), but I suffered the most due to altitude. Just had a bit of a headache and was slower than the other two, but was okay.
altirando - on 04 May 2012
In reply to jonwright: What is called the Three Cols route, Argentiere ref, Col du Chardonnet, a 'fenetre' whose name I have forgotten to a Swiss hut whose name I have also forgotten!!!! and back over another col to the Albert Premiere hut, but no need to stay there. Think I had better check those forgotten names!
rob malik - on 06 May 2012
In reply to jonwright:

Simple (probably abit repetitive doing it twice) but worked fine for us was:

Up to Tete Hut on the Gouter Route, there are various minor little routes up there, so different scenery can be seen. But nice and easy. Stayed the night, and then headed back to Chamonix. Recovered for a night in the low valley.
Then the next day up the same route to Gouter Hut. Next day summit and back to Chamonix.

Beautiful
Worked fine for us :)
ads.ukclimbing.com
Hendofan - on 14 May 2012
In reply to rob malik:
This would be my suggestion, however a trip up to the dome de gouter and back to the tete would be good to save your knees all that decent.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.