/ Earnt my roadie stripes: Big crash today!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Escher - on 05 May 2012
Had a big stack today, can't believe nothing is broken.

Got hit head on by another cyclist, he was coming downhill at speed on the wrong side of the road on a blind bend on a lane, no warning except him shouting "oh f**k!" We clipped handlebars then, came off and hit full on helmet to helmet before both being dumped on the road, he was a big bloke too! His helmet was completely cracked, mine looks okay but will be replaced. For months I've been riding with it all loose and not properly adjusted, it was only last night that I sorted it out and adjusted it properly so it sat snug on my head. Very opportune! Would have been nasty without one. Thank god I was wearing it.

Can't believe we both came out of it with just cuts and bruises and a bit of concussion, nothing broken, bike fine too (although his was a bit worse for wear). It was quite high speed so it could have been much worse. Feel bit battered now but I think I've now earnt my roadie stripes, especially as I got back on and completed the rest of my ride ;-).
Trangia - on 05 May 2012
In reply to Escher:

Glad you are ok. As for the prat who hit you on wrong side of the road, the very least he should do is offer to replace your helmet and buy you a pint!
Escher - on 05 May 2012
In reply to Trangia: Ah well, I'm just glad we were both relatively ok, no broken bones or anything, I wasn't thinking about who was to blame. He was very apologetic, he said it was his fault straight away and I said these things happen sometimes, when you cycle a lot it is bound to. I don't think he'll be cutting many corners for a while though!
blurty - on 05 May 2012
In reply to Escher: I've done the same thing! Neither of us had lights on in the twilight. Head on crash. Must admit that my neck still gives me a lot of problems (whiplash).

I hope you're ok

(any damage to the bike? Carbon forks etc may need throwing if they took the impact)
Escher - on 05 May 2012
In reply to blurty: What seems to have happened was we clipped front of brake to front of brake as my right index finger is bruised and was numb straight after (I ride with my index finger over the brake when on the hoods) so both our right hand brake/shifter were twisted from the impact. We then went over the handlebars straight into each others helmets with the tops of our heads (like two bulls crashing heads). So both bikes, other than the shifters, seem to be undamaged as most of the force was take through our helmets (both are cracked and did their job). My neck feels fine, I have a little bit of a headache but not much, a bruised finger and a sore shin and shoulder from hitting the ground. Could have been loads worse! Cracked skulls, broken collarbones, anything! Forks didn't take any impact, and front wheels are running perfectly true.

So no whiplash and it is mostly superficial I think. I feel pretty lucky (apart from it happening in the first place!), and I don't feel shocked or worried about riding as I still rode 40 miles afterwards normally with Cross of Greet and Trough of Bowland on the way home. So I think all I ended up with is a couple of sore bits and a story!
Timmd on 05 May 2012
In reply to Escher:

It could be worth checking your stem and handle bars whatever material they're made from, ie peeling off the handlebar tape and having a look, there could be some damage to the bar perhaps, where the shifter took the impact. Probably worth it for the cost of some new tape. (:-))
Escher - on 05 May 2012
In reply to Timmd: Thanks Tim, I will do that.
KateG - on 06 May 2012
In reply to Escher:
Jeez, glad you're both okay. This is what really scares me about the amount of road biking I'm doing at the moment - I've not come off it properly yet (touch wood!). Were you riding with clipless pedals? And if so what happened to them - did they come out or did you end up in a pile with the bike still attached? The sliding along with the bike and me tangled up is what I am really most worried about with road bike spills! :)
Bimbler - on 06 May 2012
In reply to KateG:
> (In reply to Escher)
> The sliding along with the bike and me tangled up is what I am really most worried about with road bike spills! :)

Don't worry about it, falling off at speed with the bike attached or not still hurts roughly the same!
Ghastly Rubberfeet on 06 May 2012
In reply to KateG:
>
> Were you riding with clipless pedals? And if so what happened to them - did they come out or did you end up in a pile with the bike still attached? The sliding along with the bike and me tangled up is what I am really most worried about with road bike spills! :)

They come off when you crash.

I have tested this several times!

;~))
Escher - on 06 May 2012
In reply to KateG: Yes, clipless. Whatever happened I was no longer attached to the bike when I realised where I was. So yes they unclip. Been out for another 50 miles today and weirdly I ache a lot less on the bike than I do off it. I was thinking the ride had loosened up my shoulders and neck, but when I got off it was ooh-ahh-creak again!

I guess crashes are inevitable if you do lots of miles, hopefully that's my quota at least for a little bit just don't be cutting any corners on country lanes!
jayme - on 06 May 2012
In reply to Escher:
Glad you are ok.
Where was this at as this is my neck of the woods, I may need to take care around there!!
Escher - on 06 May 2012
In reply to jayme: Thanks. I was coming down Bowland Knotts on the Bentham side heading for the bottom of Cross of Greet, on Mewith Lane I think?

There was some sort of cycling event going on as I passed 50-60 people on mountain bikes and hybrids along that section. No signs but there must have been something going on. There were also more roadies than I've seen before, perhaps 20-30 along there, and that section isn't long, lots were out to enjoy the weather. Trouble is I was being careful and hugging my side of the road after encountering all those on MTB's, shame the person I crashed into wasn't being as careful!

Must be a weekend for cycle events. I went past a gorilla, a stormtrooper, a barbie, a roman centurion and many other cyclists in assorted fancy dress earlier, all in one group. Was very funny! Especially the stormtrooper, can't be easy to pedal in articulated imperial armour...
wee jamie on 06 May 2012
In reply to Escher: Ow! Lucky not to badly injure yourself. I've only ever come off once - I was watching an aeroplane and rode straight into a ditch. Won't be doing that again that's for sure!
digby - on 06 May 2012
In reply to Escher:

> he was coming downhill at speed on the wrong side of the road on a blind bend on a lane

Unbelievable.
Timmd on 06 May 2012
In reply to Escher:

They're probably not, but could be worth seeing if the bars are bent too. My bro's drop bars got bent after he got knocked off in London by a BT van while being a cycle courier. His steel frame did too, the headtube went from vertical to slightly diagonal. He was okay though.
Timmd on 06 May 2012
In reply to Timmd:
> (In reply to Escher)
>
> They're probably not, but could be worth seeing if the bars are bent too.

Removing them and putting them on something flat I mean...
Bob_the_Builder - on 10 May 2012
In reply to KateG:
Believe it or not, you sometimes come off better if your hands and feet stay firmly attached. Road rash and a broken collarbone is better than road rash and a broken collar bone and a broken thigh bone!

But most road pedals/cleats are designed to pull out in crashes.
Escher - on 10 May 2012
In reply to Bob_the_Builder: even if you don't break your collarbone it really hurts if you bruise it! Really suffering with mine after the stack, not too bad as long as I don't sneeze, cough, breathe, sleep or move. Got two hard sportives coming up, need to MTFU!
Bob_the_Builder - on 10 May 2012
In reply to Escher:
Very much sympathy. Maybe man up in public and cry like a little girl in private? =P

Apparently during a big crash the adrenaline causes all of your muscles to tense up super tight, and then the impact itself causes those super tight muscles extra strain, so that you can actually get pulled muscles. If that is a problem, you might want to think about getting a massage or something.

Otherwise ice maybe? If its still hurting after a couple of weeks, might be worth talking to a doctor. I had a nasty crash and dislocated my shoulder and didn't see a doctor, it was still hurting 6 months later so I finally did, and they said I have damage to the joint that might have been fixed if they'd seen it earlier. And now sometimes my shoulder just starts to hurt and I can't climb for a couple days. =[
ads.ukclimbing.com
ianwatson17 - on 11 May 2012
In reply to wee jamie:
> (In reply to Escher) Ow! Lucky not to badly injure yourself. I've only ever come off once - I was watching an aeroplane and rode straight into a ditch. Won't be doing that again that's for sure!

Thanks for that post, you just put a smile on my face and made my day!
gingerdave13 - on 11 May 2012
In reply to Escher: almost crashed into another roadie last year. Was tonking it down a hill to a roundabout and just couldn't stop. Slid sideways twice and then cut in front of the guy (who was luckily paying attention). Apologised profusely and then bought a new set of tyres!

Glad it wasn't the car behind as not sure they would have been quite so forgiving!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.