/ Borrowdale climber seriously injured in 50ft fall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
mikehike on 05 May 2012
Picked this link up via Facebook/Striding Edge

http://www.cumbriacrack.com/2012/05/05/borrowdale-climber-seriously-injured-in-50ft-fall/

Sounds serious.

From a fellow Geordie Hope you get mended

Simon Rackley - on 05 May 2012
In reply to mikehike: Lets hope hes ok.
JDal - on 05 May 2012
Diggler - on 06 May 2012
In reply to mikehike: I hope the guys ok and wish him a speedy recovery
skarabrae - on 06 May 2012
In reply to mikehike:

just to let you all know, the guy concerned is alive n well.

spoke to his pal today, he has a broken ankle, slight compression to the spine, but otherwise fine & in good spirit.
mikehike on 06 May 2012
In reply to skarabrae:
Good to here.
martinph78 on 06 May 2012
In reply to mikehike: Glad he is ok.
wilkie14c - on 06 May 2012
In reply to skarabrae:
Ouch, bugger eh? Lets hope he's back on the rock real soon. Best wishes to your mate.
Enty - on 06 May 2012
In reply to skarabrae:
> (In reply to mikehike)
>
> but otherwise fine & in good spirit.

Yay!

E

guhj on 06 May 2012
In reply to mikehike: Surprised to read this; I'm in the area but didn't notice anything going on yesterday.

Will there be any further reports on what happened, so that we can learn from others' mistakes? (If there were any other mistakes than just falling off at the wrong time)
Ampthill - on 06 May 2012
In reply to mikehike:

There are a few details here. Under the rescue section

http://www.keswickmrt.org.uk/

it says the fall was from Conclusion a route I don't know that is E1 according he ukclimbing

lowersharpnose - on 07 May 2012
In reply to mikehike:

Very glad this chap is not too hurt. I remember having a 'time' on this route back when it was HVS and I couldn't climb. It could have been me.
skarabrae - on 07 May 2012
In reply to lowersharpnose: i believe he was on the vs next to conclusion, approached the belay stance 15m up, then fell.
tripehound - on 07 May 2012
In reply to mikehike:
Me and a mate attended an accident here 37 years ago. A lad fell 70ft off Conclusion and was badly injured. His mate told us it was his first HVS lead! Of course its E1 now, but it's a dodgy route. I never found out if he survived. There was no internet back then and lines of communication were poor. I hope he did.
jess - on 07 May 2012
Conclusion is a pretty well protected route...
JDal - on 07 May 2012
In reply to jess:
> Conclusion is a pretty well protected route...

Not 37 years ago, IIRC! Not with my rack, anyhow.
guhj on 07 May 2012
In reply to jess: I haven't been up Conclusion, but it looks fairly well protected from below. That's why I figure something must have gone wrong for someone to hit the ground.
jonny taylor on 07 May 2012
In reply to jess:
> Conclusion is a pretty well protected route...
The rock is not exactly above suspicion in places though.
Adamski1986 - on 07 May 2012
In reply to guhj:

The lad that fell wasn't on conclusion, another member of the group was climbing conclusion at the time of the fall. The lad that fell was on the VS, hope he makes a full recovery!!
pec on 07 May 2012
In reply to lowersharpnose:

> Very glad this chap is not too hurt. >

He has a broken ankle, described on the MRT website as "serious leg injuries"
It seems to crop up on here quite often that someone "only" broke their ankle. Whilst not as bad as breaking your spine and ending up in a wheelchair, broken ankles are probably the worst break you can have.
Its the 2nd most complicated joint (after the wrist) but the most weight bearing joint in the body.
Broken ankles have lifelong repercussions.

ads.ukclimbing.com
Wesley Orvis - on 07 May 2012
In reply to mikehike:

Hope he has a speedy recovery, we just left at 1 o'clock, there was someone on conclusion when we left. It's the first i've heard. Really sorry to hear it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.