/ Ideal length for rigging/ab rope

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
BB95 - on 08 May 2012
Hi there,

Looking to get a static rope for abing and rigging what is the ideal length i need. I was thinking about 30 meter would do the trick?

Cheers
Kemics - on 08 May 2012
In reply to Bobbirks95:

you're literally asking how long is a piece of string ;)

with a little more info it'd be easier to say. If it's just for rigging top ropes, I find 10-15 meters is plenty. If you want to use if for building an anchor then abbing off it. Well it depends on where you're climbing. If you want a little bit of flexibility i'd go for a 50-60 meter which lets you get access closer to your route, rather than going for the lowest point of the crag which might mean traversing into the route. Presumably we're talking seacliffs and the odd welsh quarry?
remus - on 08 May 2012
In reply to Bobbirks95: Buy 70m and chop it in to 20m and 50m lengths. 20m is plenty for rigging and 50m is fine for most abs, if you need a bit longer you can tie the two together and basically have your 70m back.

30m seems like a pretty poor choice to me. Annoyingly long for rigging and too short for a lot of abseils.
The Ex-Engineer - on 08 May 2012
In reply to Bobbirks95: I've got a couple of 20m lengths and a 40m length for general rigging, instructing and group use. Most of the time 20m is fine for rigging but I do regularly need something longer and I've found that 40m caters from nearly everything without being over the top.

However, as pointed already out, sea cliff approach abseils are a different kettle of fish and vary massively from 30m being sufficient at Subluminal or Sennen through to 100m being required at Pabby or Fairhead.

GrahamD - on 09 May 2012
In reply to Bobbirks95:

Obviously it rather depends where you want to abseil. My mate's abseil rope is 80m and we've been glad of that sometimes.
jkarran - on 09 May 2012
In reply to Bobbirks95:

For rigging 10-15m can be handy.

For abbing... where do you want to go? If your local ab-access cliff is 65m then a 60m rope is a waste of money. If your local ab-access cliff is 20m then a 60m rope is a waste of money.

jk
martinph78 on 09 May 2012
In reply to Bobbirks95: To jump in on the thread a bit...would this be ok to use as a rigging rope?

http://www.needlesports.com/Catalogue/Rock-Climbing-Equipment/Ropes/Walking-Scrambling-Ropes/Rando-8...

My mate is going to get one for scrambling with and I was thinking it'll save us getting another rope for rigging.

Bob - if you hare taking the rope for rigging, that means you'll have a second, climbing rope with you anyway, can't you just use that for abing?
GrahamD - on 09 May 2012
In reply to Martin1978:
I think this is likely to be too stretchy as a rigging or abseil rope - the more stretchy, the more ropes stretch across edges and the more damaged they get.
martinph78 on 11 May 2012
In reply to GrahamD: Thanks Graham.
ads.ukclimbing.com
highclimber - on 11 May 2012
In reply to Kemics:
> (In reply to Bobbirks95)
>
> you're literally asking how long is a piece of string ;)
>
>

Double half its length.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.