/ Routes that slipped through your fingers.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Goucho on 10 May 2012
After spending a good hour nattering on the phone to an old climbing friend in blighty this morning, the conversation turned to routes we never climbed at the time, but should have done, and which are now to hard for our ageing bones and lifestyles.

So what routes didn't you get round to, which you regret no doing/were prevented from due to circumstances, and which you couldn't now revisit.

I've got a few>>>

Nanda Devi - broke my leg 2 weeks before departure.
Broad Peak - chose to marry wife number 1 instead (big big mistake)
K2 - backed out because of a career opportunity.
Huntingdon South Face & Denali - spent over 2 weeks in Talkeetna waiting for a weather window which never arrived in time.
Shroud - attempted it, but retreated in poor conditions.
Cechinal Nominee, Grande Pillar D' Angle.
South Face of The Fou.
Salathe Steck on Sentinal.
Hot Line - Elephant Rock
Astroman - Washington Column
Ill Duce - Tintagel.
Never climbing at Pabay
Paradise Lost - Chedder
Citidal - Gogarth
Lubyanka - Cryn Llas
The Axe - Cloggy

.....I'm sure there will be more when I think about it more.

John2 - on 10 May 2012
In reply to Goucho: Mojo and Great Wall, Craig y Forwyn.
Skip - on 10 May 2012
In reply to Goucho:
No biggie really, but Wreckers' Slab escaped me under annoying circumstances. I had fallen out with my climbing partner the night before after a heavy pub session (over politics). Three of us went to climb the slab, my partner led, the other lad went up second and they left me at the bottom having to retreat quickly to avoid tides.

No biggie though as i am planning to climb it this summer with a different partner.
Captain Gear - on 10 May 2012
In reply to John2:
> (In reply to Goucho) Mojo and Great Wall, Craig y Forwyn.

They're still there. Just go midweek, park at the top of the crag, abseil in and for god's sake be quiet.
Dave Ferguson - on 10 May 2012
In reply to Goucho:
You can still go to Pabbay - and you should!
Robert Durran - on 11 May 2012
In reply to Goucho:

Route 2 Direct - Did the direct start in the amazing conditions of '86, but a pair traversed onto it in front of us from below the Curtain. Didn't fancy being held up and so traversed off and soloed Vanishing and Zero in consolation. Should have just hung in there and finished it.

Droites N Face - went up and bivvied below it eight (!) times (started up it twice), but conditions and other factors always dictated that cowardice be the better part of valour. Havn't completely written it off though........
Goucho on 11 May 2012
In reply to Robert Durran: Droites NF 8 times....god that's unlucky.

You should go for a ninth, it's a great route when the conditions are good - we got lucky on our first attempt, perfect conditions, and one of my favourite routes.
Dave Garnett - on 11 May 2012
In reply to Goucho:

Bastille Crack; Eldorado Canyon - it looked great but we didn't have a guidebook. I couldn't decide how hard it was going to be and I wasn't sure it was a good idea to launch out on it as our first route in Colorado. So, we went off and did some other nondescript routes. When I found out that it was only 4c I kicked myself.

Exposure in F; Du Toit's Kloof - despite living in Cape Town for three years I just never got round to any of the big routes in Du Toit's Kloof; we just always seemed to end up at Hellfire or the Waterfront.

I guess I could always go back for either of these, it's just time and geography and it's frustrating not have done them when it would have been so easy.
gingerdave13 - on 11 May 2012
In reply to Goucho: zmutt ridge on the matterhorn. Broke my back acclimatising on Pointe de Zinal.. haven't quite plucked up to go back to zermatt yet. But have been back for other alps adventures.
Bulls Crack - on 11 May 2012
In reply to Goucho:

Paradise Lost seems particularly apt given the title of your thread!
The Ivanator - on 11 May 2012
In reply to Goucho: Earlier this year a large section of Looning the Tube slipped through my fingers very rapidly as I took a sizeable whipper just as I was reaching the chain.
I shall return...
The Ex-Engineer - on 11 May 2012
In reply to Goucho: I am not giving up, yet, but I missed out on climbing the Walker Spur in 2003 after it snowed overnight and it is probably the only route that really, really nags me.
In reply to Goucho: Comes the Dervish
In reply to Goucho: The Medium
Dave Garnett - on 11 May 2012
In reply to The Ivanator:
> (In reply to Goucho) Earlier this year a large section of Looning the Tube slipped through my fingers very rapidly as I took a sizeable whipper just as I was reaching the chain.

Yes, I remember the final move of Vector slipping through my fingers long ago...
ads.ukclimbing.com
Hannes on 11 May 2012
In reply to Goucho: This mountain, they climbed it as we were walking in having seen our website

http://www.alpinist.com/doc/web11f/newswire-slovenians-kyrgyzstan

pizda sloveniya (or however you'd spell it, it is russian and rude)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.