/ Advice on Water Ice Climbing Destinations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
tomwheeler - on 11 May 2012
So Ill be taking a group of about 10 beginners to go Ice climbing after christmas this year. Last year I went to the Cairngorms for some Scottish winter, and Rjukan, Norway, for some WI climbing, and heard recommendations for Cogne, Italy. Would anybody recommend anywhere else?
skarabrae - on 11 May 2012
In reply to tomwheeler: ouray colorado
The Grist - on 11 May 2012
In reply to tomwheeler: Ecrins. Plenty to go out if you base youself in Argentiere de bessee. Get a flight to Turin and drive an hour. I have been last 3 years and it is great. Have also been to Cogne a few times and that is very good too but more popular than the Ecrin region.
Nick Harvey - on 11 May 2012
In reply to tomwheeler: depending on how much after xmas (darkness), length of trip, and budget (cheaper with so many of you) the here is an option: http://northnorwayice.blogspot.co.uk/ - at first glance it prob seems a bit out-there for beginners, but actually I reckon it would be really good. It a bit further to get to, but wherever you go, you'll spend the whole day travelling. Tonnes of easy ice around and no one else to get in the way.
Mark Sweatmasn - on 11 May 2012
In reply to tomwheeler:

I'm slightly hesitating but Canmore Canada has some magnificent ice. It can also be extremely cold and I've not been to Rjukan or simmilar to offer any useful comparisons. So not really a recommendation - more a "have you thought about North America?" comment.
Rick Ashton - on 11 May 2012
In reply to tomwheeler: Kandersteg in Switzerland has alway been pretty awesome for me. But when condition are poor there is a little gem of a place I have found which seems to stay very cold called Sertig. Would be a great place to take beginners but small so could be very crowded if you take ten people.
jhw - on 11 May 2012
What do people think of Gavarnie? Looks epic, but avalanche prone and unreliable. Grades from WI 4 to WI5, WI5 really.
iksander on 11 May 2012
In reply to tomwheeler: Join the hoards at Ceillac
george mc - on 11 May 2012
In reply to tomwheeler:

Ouray - heaps to go at and ideal for beginners. Choice of lead or bottom rope. Good accommodation close by and lot's of 'free range' ice routes in the area as well as the ice park.
andyr - on 12 May 2012
Another vote for the Ecrins. There's a good Ice Festival after Christmas. Click on some of the links for info on the last one.

http://www.alpineaccomodation.com/#/ice-climbing/4545021428

Hannes on 12 May 2012
In reply to tomwheeler: Cogne is great that it has bolted belays which gives a bit of peace of mind when being belayed on their anchors. Gavarnie seems less than newbie friendly given the grades.
smithaldo - on 12 May 2012
In reply to tomwheeler: when you say beginners what do you mean. Most of the places talked about already are multi-pitch venues with grades from wi3+ upwards. Cogne is probably the best bet for variety and number of routes but has longer walk ins than you might expect. Argentiere la besse has good harder stuff but not much easy (fracastorous at 3+ seemed about the easiest of easily accesible stuff). Celliac (you can get there from argentiere la besse for day trips or stop in the great big gite there in a group room and cook yourself) is perfect for a group of beginners but only three or four routes really, but formes du chaos is totally awsome.La grave is o.k. but again, not much easy stuff under say scottish iv/v.
smithaldo - on 12 May 2012
In reply to smithaldo: oh and you will deffo get a shock if you are going on rjukan grades, especialy on non stepped out stuff multipitch stuff. For instance larmes du chaos wi4 in vallon du diable felt miles harder than wi5 in rjukan.
matejn - on 12 May 2012
In reply to tomwheeler:
Hi!

I would suggest that you visit Slovenia, especially Kr.Gora area. Hopefully will have a better start to winter than last year.
ads.ukclimbing.com
GrendeI on 12 May 2012
In reply to tomwheeler: If you're interested in returning to Norway at all, Oppdal has excellent ice conditions.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.