/ Font camping with a family help please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Exile - on 11 May 2012
Any advice on a good campsite in Font' to stay at in the Summer? Am I right in thinking that there is one with a swimming pool?

As an aside, is the cycling in the forest any good, (think kids and mountain bikes.)

Thanks.
razzorbuzz - on 11 May 2012
In reply to Exile: Hi just got back form a trip to Font, we normally stay here every year http://www.camping-grez-fontainebleau.info/ its a great place right by the river and you can hire canoes etc. Normally loads of families around and they have a good shower/toilet block. The women who owns it is English and very helpful and the pitches are very generous in size.

In regards to mountain biking its not something ive done but there are always loads of people out in the forests on their bikes, you want to make sure to pick the right areas as some have quite deep sand and I would imagine difficult to ride in

Hope that helps
peterp - on 11 May 2012
In reply to Exile:
We've stayed at the site in Veneux les sablons a couple of times and found it to be great: http://www.les-courtilles-du-lido.fr/
Carolyn - on 11 May 2012
In reply to peterp:
We've stayed at Lido many times - pretty quiet these days, so loads of space and quiet pitches. Cold swimming pool, playground, crazy golf, bar, good shower block for families. Downside is it's a drive to any climbing. Also near the train line, which you may see as an advantage or disadvantage!

We went back to the Milly campsite last summer. Busier, and camping is more crowded - it's a bit of a free for all in the woods rather than being neat pitches, so try not to arrive late on a Friday or Saturday. But now has a small but newer playground, and great swimming area with 3 pools inc a paddling one with slide. Showers aren't so good, but as long as kids are happy to go in small cubicle with adult (or alone) they're fine. Much closer to climbing - there were a few families there who were cycling to bouldering each day (mainly with option of trailer for pulling back shattered kids). I think we'd probably go back there for preference now the kids are a bit bigger.
Carolyn - on 11 May 2012
In reply to Exile:

This is the Milly campsite
http://www.eurocampings.co.uk/en/europe/france/%CEle-de-france/essonne/campsite-la-musardiere-103844...

I love the way they just show the pools, they're definitely the highlight!
balmybaldwin - on 11 May 2012
In reply to Carolyn:
> (In reply to Exile)
>
> This is the Milly campsite
> http://www.eurocampings.co.uk/en/europe/france/%CEle-de-france/essonne/campsite-la-musardiere-103844...
>
> I love the way they just show the pools, they're definitely the highlight!

It is very expensive there though, and the last few times I went, the showers were luke warm at best
Carolyn - on 11 May 2012
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Not that much more than Le Lido, though, and less driving..... I do remember showers were better at some times of day than others, but unhelpfully can't remember the details!
winhill - on 11 May 2012
In reply to Carolyn:
> (In reply to peterp)
> We've stayed at Lido many times - pretty quiet these days, so loads of space and quiet pitches. Cold swimming pool, playground, crazy golf, bar, good shower block for families. Downside is it's a drive to any climbing. Also near the train line, which you may see as an advantage or disadvantage!

There is some climbing to been done not far from the Lido, not much and orange (on the way to fontainebleu itself).

The advantage with the Lido if camping en famille is that it is much easier to find stuff for non climbers to do.
Carolyn - on 11 May 2012
In reply to winhill:

Ah, no none climbers allowed in this family ;-)
francois - on 11 May 2012
In reply to razzorbuzz: is it not too far from the bouldering areas? They're mainly north of Fontainebleau town if I remember correctly
gingerdave13 - on 11 May 2012
In reply to francois: I've stayed at this one too (severaly times). If you pitch in the bivouac area you're allowed campfires. Also try not to pitch next to the lake, horrible mozzies. But otherwise a cracking campsite. Although it's not near the normal boulder areas, there's quite a lot in the south which is normally ignored by zee crazy eenglish!
Bulls Crack - on 11 May 2012
In reply to balmybaldwin:

£20 a night indicative for 2 adults/2 children caravan/car high season - not bad at all really.
matt perks - on 11 May 2012
In reply to Exile: Maybe here http://www.base-de-buthiers.com/camping-l43-fr.html - this would be right in the middle of an excellent bouldering area and there is a great-looking pool (although probably not included in the camping fee). Website is in French and I get the gist but can't suss whether it's likely to be full of youth groups in the summer.
Exile - on 13 May 2012
In reply to Exile:

Thanks very much for all the help everybody.
ste_d - on 13 May 2012
In reply to Exile:

can an eye open for ticks on the kids in summer...
ads.ukclimbing.com
Exile - on 15 May 2012
In reply to ste_d:

Thanks for that

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.