/ Mönchsjochhütte

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
mypyrex - on 13 May 2012
Anyone been to this hut from the Jungfraujoch(station)? Is it a walk or climb?

How easy etc?

Thanks.
jon on 13 May 2012
In reply to mypyrex:

A very easy walk Pyrex. There's usually a wide machine groomed piste across the glacier that's safe. Dozens of people (non-climbers/day trippers) do it every day in the summer.
mypyrex - on 13 May 2012
In reply to jon: Thanks, I was thinking about taking the Mrs to Switzerland next year and show her what it's like in a mountain hut(but I don't think she'd go - certainly wouldn't spend a night there).

From what you say I assume it's doable without ice axe and crampons.
jon on 13 May 2012
In reply to mypyrex:

Just a pair of shoes with some grip to stop you sliding around. It's not steep.
mypyrex - on 13 May 2012
In reply to jon: Thanks, might do it myself, sans Mrs.
rackandruin - on 13 May 2012
In reply to mypyrex: Given the cost of the Jungfraujoch return Itd almost be cheaper to take her to India
MG - on 13 May 2012
In reply to mypyrex: It's quite high. If you go with your wife she might be quite unwell unless you have stayed somewhere lower first, which might not help her impression of huts.
mypyrex - on 13 May 2012
In reply to rackandruin & MG: The Mrs is a definite NO NO for this. I keep trying to explain that when you've "roughed" it you appreciate luxuries all the more but she insists on clean underwear every morning, hot and cold running water, flushing sit down loos(clean), deodorant, no farting or belching and utmost privacy. She doesn't understand the concept of communal sleeping.
MG - on 13 May 2012
In reply to mypyrex: In that case consider the Berghausfluh above Zermatt. It has all of your list except hot running water but is still hut-like in atmosphere.
In reply to mypyrex: Or Jacksonville. All amenities, great views , close to the road and a friendly welcome guaranteed
mypyrex - on 13 May 2012
In reply to rackandruin:
> (In reply to mypyrex) So India could be ideal for her }
I think not, she doesn't like curry and she's going off flying :(

MG - on 13 May 2012
In reply to MG: Well apart from clean underwear - you have to take that.
mypyrex - on 13 May 2012
In reply to rackandruin:
> (In reply to mypyrex) Or Jacksonville.
Florida? I went there years ago and didn't think much of it. Too flat.
In reply to mypyrex: No- I meant the Creag Dhu hut in Glencoe )
Shed have a better chance of survival in India.
The Lemming - on 13 May 2012
In reply to mypyrex:
> (In reply to rackandruin & MG) The Mrs is a definite NO NO for this. I keep trying to explain that when you've "roughed" it you appreciate luxuries all the more but she insists on clean underwear every morning, hot and cold running water, flushing sit down loos(clean), deodorant, no farting or belching and utmost privacy. She doesn't understand the concept of communal sleeping.

Top tip, don't tell her. :-)

As everybody else says, the walk to the hut is a doddle with no, as far as I am aware, objective dangers beyond dodging Japanese tourists at the train station. When I was there, sadly 10 years ago, my friends who were walkers and in their sixties spent an afternoon in the hut with me. The views were stunning and its quite a picturesque hut to have an afternoon meal in.

Just banged some images on of my trip, in case they inspire your good lady.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/the1lemming/
Rip van Winkle - on 14 May 2012
In reply to mypyrex: Agree with all the above. Just want to endorse the altitude thing. I've seen Japanese tourists faint in the Jungfrau complex just because they've gained all that height from Interlaken too quickly. Though the walk to the Mönchsjochhütte is easy it IS uphill and shortness of breath is very likely to be a problem for anyone unaccustomed. Oh, and if the murk is down don't bother!
Antibac - on 22 May 2012
In reply to mypyrex: It is indeed a straightforward (but uphill) walk on a groomed piste from the station to the hut. As other people have said though, it is high, so it could be cold and hard going if you aren't acclimatised! The food at the hut isn't bad, but mega expensive, even for Swiss huts.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.