/ Adrenaline headaches?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Killianmurphy - on 13 May 2012
So I had an excellent day yesterday getting my first VS 5a** on a rock type that I'm unfamiliar with... Very happy about this

I know full well I was on an adrenaline high during the route, I felt it as I came down during belaying thing is since then I've had a lingering head ache that won't shift ... I thought it may have been dehydration but after drink lots of water it's still not gone is there such thing as adrenaline head aches? Does anyone else get headaches after an epic day out?
muppetfilter - on 13 May 2012
In reply to Killianmurphy: Do you drink redbull or any of the other energy type drinks?
Killianmurphy - on 13 May 2012
In reply to Killianmurphy:

Hardley ever, not while climbing anyway. I tend to have water and maybe coke for afterwards (for the sugar mainly)
In reply to Killianmurphy: I often get headaches after climbing, but it's from getting a stiff neck belaying.
muppetfilter - on 13 May 2012
In reply to Killianmurphy: Were you belaying with one side of your face in the sun for a while ? A bit like a migrane being brought on by being sat next to a bright window.
Dauphin - on 13 May 2012

I'd go and get it checked out at an A&E dept. Probably nothing but worth getting looked at.

D
martinph78 on 13 May 2012
In reply to Killianmurphy: Sounds like dehydration to me. Take two paracetemol and drink little and often for the rest of teh day. Also check the colour of you urine. If it's dark that would point towards dehdration as well. It doesn't go immediately when drinking water, it will take time.
Taurig - on 13 May 2012

Not specifically after climbing, but after, say, a big presentation where I have been nervous and pumped before it, I will quite often have a headache. I believe a lot of headaches are tension headaches, and if I'm able to take a step back from a nerve-wracking situation I will notice my shoulders are quite tense. Easier said than done, but try and consciously relax your shoulders and neck.
JamButty - on 13 May 2012
In reply to Killianmurphy: Salt?
Keep hydrated from early on but electrolyte type drinks may also help.
Jon Stewart - on 13 May 2012

No, no such thing as an adrenaline headache as far as I have ever heard/experienced.
Loubylou - on 16 May 2012
Yes I get these type of headaches regularly!!! You are not alone.
Think it is a combo of terror and dehydration and often altitude if mountaineering.
Do you wear sun glasses?
Just pack some headache pills in your pocket for your summits!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.