/ Road bike -Touring

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Homebrew165 - on 13 May 2012
Hi all, a similar thread to a recent one about a road bike. I've got some long tours (up to a month) in the pipeline however lack a workable bike at the minute. Not got alot to spend as i'm just finishing uni so around 500-600 realistically.

Know next to nothing about road bikes apart from many difficulties with my 30 off a mate job (soon to be scrapped!)
Any suggestions much appreciated
tim000 - on 13 May 2012
In reply to Homebrew165: ive got a specialized secteur that i use for commuting and am planning on using for touring . should do the job .

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=specialized+secteur&hl=en&rlz=1T4DKUK_en___GB463&...
Southampton Tom on 13 May 2012
In reply to Homebrew165: would have thought that you might want a tourer for long tours, at that price either a good shand one or one of the Edinburgh Cycle coop ones might do you nicely.
Dave Kerr - on 13 May 2012
In reply to Homebrew165:

If you have an old mountain bike then use that. If you don't then pick one up second hand.

Provided it has the requisite braze ons then you will be reet.

A proper tourer is nice but if funds are limited then the above will do you fine.
Dave Kerr - on 13 May 2012
In reply to Homebrew165:

If you are planning loaded touring then the Specialized mentioned above would be a poor choice.
tomshooter - on 14 May 2012
In reply to Homebrew165:
I can thoroughly recommend the Ridgeback World Voyage. It is currently retailing at slightly more than your budget (760?) but if you're looking to do some long tours, it is worth getting a touring-specific bike, and the World Voyage is a beauty.
http://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/products.asp?partno=45467
LastBoyScout on 14 May 2012
In reply to Homebrew165:

Several friends use OnOne and Kona bikes for touring.

As I understand it, steel is good for touring - you can usually find someone to weld a steel frame back together, but harder to find someone competent/equipped to weld aluminium.

Braze-ons are great, but not essential - I know a couple of friends have mounted luggage using P-clips round the seat stays. You can carry spares if they break and use them to replace a snapped braze-on.

Give brakes some careful thought, too - I reckon a decent mechanical disk might be the best compromise. Friend of mine arrived in India to find his hydraulic brakes had leaked on the plane and spent a fortnight trying to top them up with cooking oil!
victorclimber - on 14 May 2012
In reply to Homebrew165: bikers are as nerdy as boulderers ,go to one of the cycle shops with your budget and talk to a cyclist ,they all are ..or even get in touch with your local club and someone will put you right .they all have 2 wheels ,pedals ,saddle ,etc you sit on pedal and of you go ..
Toby_W on 14 May 2012
In reply to Homebrew165:

Type in Dawes Galaxy to ebay and you'll find a selection of one of the touring workhorses all within your budget.

Eg.

Ebay item 160801010657
Cheers

Toby
Dave Kerr - on 14 May 2012
In reply to victorclimber:
> (In reply to Homebrew165) ,go to one of the cycle shops with your budget and talk to a cyclist ,

Actually you're pretty unlikely to find a cycle tourist in your LBS. Certainly in my experience. Unless your local happens to be St John St Cycles.
The bandit - on 14 May 2012
In reply to Homebrew165:

I've managed tours of a similar length on a full Alu frame with carbon forks which was my old commuting bike and was within your budget. You can buy parts cheaply online but it takes some time and effort to find /build. It wasn't as comfy as a steel frame (which I've also toured on) but if you keep it light it's ok. The biggest weakness i've found with Alu frames under load is the impact on the wheels - they are fairly unforgiving if you load them up.
andy - on 14 May 2012
In reply to Dave Kerr:
> (In reply to victorclimber)
> [...]
>
> Actually you're pretty unlikely to find a cycle tourist in your LBS. Certainly in my experience. Unless your local happens to be St John St Cycles.

Or Spa Cycles in HarrowGate.
Steve John B - on 14 May 2012
In reply to Homebrew165: I'm selling a Claud Butler Dalesman if you're interested, 52cm frame. With new brakes fitted by Spa Cycles...
johnl - on 14 May 2012
Homebrew165 - on 15 May 2012
Thanks everyone, some good suggestions there. the dawes looks pretty interesting. Always been keen on second hand bikes so will probably be going down that route! Planning to climb whilst touring so will definately be a heavy load!

What kind of price were you looking for regarding the claude butler steve? that could be a good bet
Steve John B - on 16 May 2012
In reply to Homebrew165:
>
> What kind of price were you looking for regarding the claude butler steve? that could be a good bet

Dunno, about 250? If you PM me your email address I'll get some photos to you (once I've taken them!)
ads.ukclimbing.com
timmsy - on 16 May 2012
In reply to Homebrew165: We have got a Cannondale T1000, green, suitable for 5'5" to 5'9" i reckon. 400 including front and rear rack.
Email me before by Friday for more details as going to Lundy next week. Location Ripon. Well used, not abused but its a proer bike. Canondale alu very well built, good ride.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.