/ Hungover Climbing. Is it a good idea?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Amorino on 18 May 2012 - mail.cambriaautos.co.uk
Ive only climbed once with a hangover worst mistake ever.

I had to get up early to meet friends because i was driving (which i was late for) and then i had to lead because they were too scared.

lowering off was the worst bit. Never again.
coinneach - on 18 May 2012
In reply to Amorino:

Not half as much fun as climbing while pished!
davidbeynon - on 18 May 2012
In reply to Amorino:

It took me about an hour to get up jacks rake once because I was so messed up after the previous night in the ODG that I kept missing the hand holds.
skarabrae - on 18 May 2012
In reply to Amorino: the most worrying bit, is the fact that you drove whilst hungover! you`ld more than likely be still over the limit!!
jdawg_85 - on 18 May 2012
In reply to Amorino: I've tried it indoors once, that was enough.
Enty - on 18 May 2012
In reply to Amorino:

Is there a different way?

E
willworkforfoodjnr - on 18 May 2012
In reply to Amorino: Fastest way to get rid of a hangover! The adrenaline does the business
jubolo - on 18 May 2012
In reply to Amorino:
Reminded me of this little nugget;]

http://www.vimeo.com/13831211
I have a friend that goes climbing she loves her wine and after a night out she got up and drove 2hrs bought everything but the rope.

she still climbs often with a hangover. (if she remembers her gear)

Still though its not as bad as this video i have seen,

http://www.madaboutclimbing.com/2012/05/16/hungover-rock-climber/

Hes so hung over he gets his knee stuck is sick and has an accident in his pants.

sad but funny at the same time. I can honestly say this has never happend to me.
Thats funny i posted that as well. lol
brokenbanjo - on 18 May 2012
In reply to Amorino:

Went bouldering once with a stinking hangover, I had a purple patch of about 5 mins then that was that. Almost went indoor climbing with a horrible hangover, I put my harness on and then thought I don't fancy shouting 'below'.
mkean - on 18 May 2012
In reply to Amorino:
My first lead (VS), my first HVS and first E1 were all very hungover affairs. I got lost on Tryfan last year as a result of overindulging the previous evening and ended up climbing a small waterfall having followed the standard "if in doubt follow the polished rock". All good fun.
koalapie - on 18 May 2012
In reply to jubolo: Wholey crap! That's so funny!
Milesy - on 18 May 2012
Alex MacIntyre actually recommended climbing with a hangover as it stopped him thinking too much.
jacobjlloyd - on 18 May 2012
In reply to Amorino: All my hardest onsights have been while hungover. And my hardest redpoints, actually. It seems to help me!
nastyned - on 18 May 2012
In reply to Amorino: If I didn't climb when hungover I wouldn't climb at all. You know how it is, get away for the weekend, get a few beers in, go climbing.
Nothing like a good fried breakfast to make you or break you!
ring ouzel on 18 May 2012
In reply to Amorino: One of the first times I ever went climbing was after several pints of Guinness. My boss loved the stuff and regularly drank loads but I've always been a lightweight. After 4 quick pints we went climbing at Hawkcraig near Aberdour. Soloed several VDiffs and giggled a lot. If I had fallen I reckon I would have been fine as I was so relaxed I would just have bounced down the cliff!
Ava Adore - on 18 May 2012
In reply to Amorino:

Seconded Right Angle at Gurnard's Head whilst hungover. I think if I had been fully of sound mind I probably would have been too scared.
Enty - on 18 May 2012
In reply to Amorino:

On the belay after the first pitch of Suspense, Stennis Ford:

Nez - get on with it then!
Enty - hold on, think I'm gonna puke
Nez - FFS
Enty - Bleurrrrgh
Nez - nice!
Enty - right I'm having it, watch me.

;-)

e
ads.ukclimbing.com
robaj - on 18 May 2012
In reply to jubolo:

Love that video. How many epics have begun with the phrase "I'm so hungover"?
victorclimber - on 18 May 2012
In reply to Amorino: back in the days when men were men ,and we climbed in Jeans ,and later Flairs ,hungover climbing was the norm among our group..even hesitate to say drunken climbing to a certain extent ,Bowfell Butress in big boots ,in pouring rain after an afternoon session in the ODG. was one such ,we were young and daft..
galpinos - on 18 May 2012
In reply to victorclimber:

Isn't there a John Long quote about the best climbers not being the ones propping up the bar at the end of the night?

I'm getting too old to climb after a session....
Dave 88 - on 18 May 2012
In reply to Amorino:

I've only climbed once after a big session and it was horrible. My balance was shot, I pumped out easily, felt scared the whole time, and having to bag up a batch of 'hangover black' is not an experience I wish to repeat.

I've also got a mate who had to climb the midi in a sling harness cos he was hungover and forget his proper harness.

To sumarise; I'm not a fan! My climbing is bad enough on a good day.
In reply to galpinos: good quote that one,bit like ..There are old climbers and bold climbers ,but no bold old climbers..probably not true in these days of walls that keep you fit all year round ..
Dave 88 - on 18 May 2012

I think that quote more relates to the idea that all the bold climbers die young trying bold routes, not so much climbing fitness.
In reply to Dave 88: nah that aint right ,think back to the 50,s and 60,s when the pro was poor or non existent to say the least,you had to be bold and we were young but not many got chopped ..
Dave 88 - on 18 May 2012

Yer it's only tongue in cheek, but still, I'm pretty sure that's the meaning of the saying.

Although I do tip my youthful hat to your gnarly old school climbing!
Al Evans on 19 May 2012
In reply to Milesy:
> Alex MacIntyre actually recommended climbing with a hangover as it stopped him thinking too much.

I remember Alex telling me it was good training for climbing with altitude sickness :-)
RocKalina - on 19 May 2012
Haha, I love climbing when hungover. When it's really bad I want to die, so I'm not as scared as usual ;-)
Chris.Allott - on 19 May 2012
In reply to Amorino:
About 200 yrs ago...we used to climb on a Saturday morning...even in Winter..and it was quiet..even at the Roaches...Me, Paul and Mike.
One Saturday I was belayed by Paul.."on route" up Via Dolorosa. Mike turns up looking a bit "green"..and moaning about A "HEAVY Friday Night"...as usual.
Up to the stance..bring up Paul..take a break while he hauls up Mike.
Off to the top..Belay..."climb when you're ready"..
."We have a problem"..
"What?"
"Mike's gone to sleep"
"Well wake him up!"
"I can't"
(much shouting..I think physical violence was employed..more shouting)
"Mike's coming up next"
( probably a good idea tying him onto the middle rather than at the end??)
OK..
I have never seen anyone manage to go to sleep on the flake move..
30 mins later.
"Is He up yet?"
"Nope"
"Why"
"I can't pull him past the runner!"
I have to admit I respect Paul for climbing (somewhat unprotected) to Mike..Unclipping the rope and helping to haul him up the last few feet..
Or was that kicking him...

I'd like to think that was the last time Mike climbed with us....but I think a couple of weeks later we were at Hen Cloud......
Phill Mitch - on 19 May 2012
In reply to Amorino: I went snowboarding hung over, my sick melted a big hole in the snow! Then back to bed!
Cake - on 22 May 2012
In reply to Amorino:
Did it two weeks ago for the first, and hopefully last time. Puked on the 5 minute walk-in up to Stanage and had a day missing out a lot of climbs and feeling rotten leading anything.

Not much fun
butteredfrog - on 22 May 2012
In reply to Amorino:

Soloing a route in Gressoney that we had wobbled up at the start of the week, in the dark, after ten pints. Great fun, much giggling.
JohnnyW - on 22 May 2012
In reply to Al Evans:
> (In reply to Milesy)
> [...]
>
> I remember Alex telling me it was good training for climbing with altitude sickness :-)

That's what I've told all the guys I've managed to drag to the Alps....
mick.h on 23 May 2012
In reply to Amorino:

Have climbed many, many times with a vile hangover. In this condition "bold" routes are definitely a better bet than "strenuous". Was once so hungover that I fell over at the base of the crag, after leading Sunset Slab & 3PS......
Epsilon - on 23 May 2012
Climbing drunk and/or hungover is a decent way to train for technical climbing at high altitude.
Jimbo C - on 23 May 2012
In reply to Amorino:

Climbing with a hangover for me means that I become a person who struggles to lead Severe (a drop of 2 or 3 grades from normal). I try not to do it very often :-)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.