/ Voting

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
fresherjohn - on 18 May 2012
I really dont understand this forum sometimes.
I just uploaded a photo I took wednesday morning and 10minutes after its visible, someone voted it as 1.

Now it might not be the greatest photo ever taken, or even good, but I dont understand why someone would bother to give a shot 1?
If I think somethings not very well framed/sharp/interesting I look for one i like.

am i the only one?
The Lemming - on 18 May 2012
In reply to fresherjohn:

Yes you are the only one.

This has never been discussed before.
davidbeynon - on 18 May 2012
In reply to fresherjohn:

I think there are some people who do nothing else, and quite a few who use it to bring the average "score" down if they think something is overrated.

I have one pic with exactly 2 votes - a 5 and a 1. I don't think it deserved either of them.

sheep - on 18 May 2012
In reply to fresherjohn:

Welcome to UKC Photos :)

As i remember, on Weds morning, someone had given every picture on the front page a 1 or 2. Why bother? Dunno.
fresherjohn - on 18 May 2012
it just made me a bit sad and i needed to vent.

thanks to the kind people who just voted to cheer me up.
:)
right its poets day. that'll do.
Simon Caldwell - on 20 May 2012
In reply to fresherjohn:
I'm guessing it was the biking photo? Someone seems to gain fulfillment by voting 1 for all photos in the biking gallery.
The Pylon King on 20 May 2012
In reply to fresherjohn:

So why have the option to vote 1 if people get upset if somebody does vote 1?

Of what use is it to use numbers to say you think a photo is either poor, average or great?

mental

THE VOTING SYSTEM IS BOLLOX.

Free yourself and disable it. I have.
Simon Caldwell - on 21 May 2012
In reply to Formerly Known as Pylon King:
> Of what use is it to use numbers to say you think a photo is either poor, average or great?

It allows votes to be averaged.

> disable it. I have

No you haven't. Unless you mean that you now use Flickr instead :-)
The Pylon King on 21 May 2012
In reply to Toreador:

>
> No you haven't. Unless you mean that you now use Flickr instead :-)

yes i have.
Alyson - on 21 May 2012
In reply to fresherjohn: It looks very much as if the biker has been photoshopped in! Could just be the light but there's a very surreal quality to it, and the dimensions look odd compared to how high oilseed rape grows. Maybe the person who voted 1 thought it was a stitch job? Either way I wouldn't worry too much about what other people think.
fresherjohn - on 21 May 2012
I'm not bothered by what other people think, just disappointed in peoples behaviour.
i'll take the photoshop comment as a compliment, but will add another shot just in case :)
I was amazed how high the rapeseed was I'm 6foot and it was above my waist. Nick in the photo is 6'3"!
Fraser on 21 May 2012
In reply to fresherjohn:

> I'm not bothered by what other people think..

> ...it just made me a bit sad and i needed to vent.

You can't have it both ways. I don't have a problem with receiving 1s, I really just upload here to let climbing friends see their pix. Like all forms of art, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It's a good thing that everyone has different opinions.
Arjen - on 22 May 2012
In reply to Alyson:
It's a panning shot, you move the camera with the moving object, causing the object to be sharp(ish), and the background blurred.

Maybe the farmer of said field saw your picture?
Alyson - on 22 May 2012
In reply to Arjen: I don't think the background looks especially blurred! Maybe I have low standards :(

I think what was bothering me was that the bike is so high relative to the rapeseed, which I presume is because he was jumping. I guess it looks bizarre because you can't really see that he's off the ground.
Mark Kemball - on 22 May 2012
In reply to Formerly Known as Pylon King:
> (In reply to Toreador)
>
> [...]
>
> yes i have.

No you haven't! I've just voted on one of your pics.
In reply to davidbeynon:
> (In reply to fresherjohn)

>
> I have one pic with exactly 2 votes - a 5 and a 1. I don't think it deserved either of them.

How can you tell what people have voted? Surely you only see the average? (3.0)
In reply to fresherjohn:

> I just uploaded a photo I took wednesday morning and 10minutes after its visible, someone voted it as 1.

Looking at the pic amd the comment underneath, I think the vote was more to do with the voter's attitude to your subject than to the quality of the pic.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.