/ Anyone want to climb everest next year?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Climbing2013 on 20 May 2012 - cpc3-basl10-2-0-cust242.basl.cable.virginmedia.com
Me and my climbing partner are looking to climb everest in august 2013. We are going to be in a group of under 22's to climb everest unguided.and are looking for people with tips, or who are interested in joining the group. Preferably in the essex area as we can train together then. if not its not a problem....
bouldery bits - on 20 May 2012
In reply to Climbing2013:

This'll be good...
Climbing2013 on 20 May 2012 - cpc3-basl10-2-0-cust242.basl.cable.virginmedia.com
In reply to morganExtr3me: id freeze to death without a down jacket lol and why dont you both try and join our team?
Milesy - on 20 May 2012

Hey! I have been looking into it. I quite fancy the West Ridge for a bit of quiet and adventure though.
In reply to Milesy: we are not sure what ridge we are doing yet but am planning on being the youngest group to climb unguided x

I'm afraid I can't, I will be 23.
Also, it sounds like I might die.
In reply to bouldery bits: All preventions will be taken to prevent us dying lol, Shame u will be too old we need to build our team up x
barneythevelociraptor - on 20 May 2012
I'd be more interested if you were planning your trip for may/june 2013, fun though climbing Everest in the monsoon season sounds. What training for the Himalaya's will you be doing in Essex? XX
Camm on 20 May 2012
Me and my friends are going to summit on Christmas day, we plan to be the first group of under 21s, we're going to do it wearing santa costumes as it is Christmas.
> (In reply to bouldery bits) All preventions will be taken to prevent us dying lol, Shame u will be too old we need to build our team up x

Well good luck.
You will probably get some better responses on here if you fill out your profile!
Camm on 20 May 2012
In reply to barneythevelociraptor:
I'd be more interested if it was May/June 2011 xx
In reply to barneythevelociraptor: we are climbing ben nevis and ice walls and travelling far for all our training
In reply to danrock101: are you climbing guided?
eschaton - on 20 May 2012
In reply to Climbing2013: do you need a guide? i've spent a lot of time looking at everest on google earth so i know the routes pretty well
blob737 - on 20 May 2012
In reply to Climbing2013: im 18 - in essex - and would absolutely love to join this, but it would have to be like 2 years because of money :( - oxygen alone will cost like 10 grand if i remember rightly
almost sane - on 20 May 2012
If you can't afford these expensive "Everest Boots". just buy boots a few sizes too big and wear lots of socks.
> (In reply to Milesy) we are not sure what ridge we are doing yet but am planning on being the youngest group to climb unguided x

Why not choose to be the first group from Essex to climb the hill unguided?
In reply to blob737: were not using oxygen.... x
John W - on 20 May 2012

I bet Mountain Spirit is up for it!!
In reply to eschaton: no you dont we are not using a guide....
ads.ukclimbing.com
In reply to John W: mountain spirit?
In reply to Climbing2013: You don't need to go to the Ben - its a common misconception that just because Everest is cold you need to train in the cold. It's been scientifically proven that its actually more beneficial to train in the heat as this causes you to work your cardiovascular system more. You'd be better off heading to Eygpt and doing some training on the saharan sand dunes than going to Scotland. XX

Top tips for navigating to the top of Everest
1> Get to Everest Base Camp. The easiest way to do this is to go to Lhasa and hire a taxi. If money is tight, try hitching.
2> Start going up the biggest mountain you can see.
3> Keep going up until you can't get any higher. Once you run out of "up" you are at the top.
4> Look around. If you can see any mountains nearby that look even vaguely as if they might be higher, you have picked the wrong mountain. Go back to Everest Base Camp and start again at Step 2 again, but with a different mountain.
5> Come back down. This is very important. It is best to come back down to the place from which you started. This avoids confusion (unless you have made arrangements otherwise, of course).
In reply to barneythevelociraptor: also training costs come into it as we have to fund a lot ourselves and eygypt is out of the question whereas we can drive to scotland.
If you want to get people under 22 to join you, don't rule out guides!
http://www.girlguidingessexne.org.uk/
In reply to almost sane: we cant get the funding needed if we are a guided expo.
In reply to Climbing2013: You can drive to Eygpt - Just go via Turkey. IN fact you can drive to Nepal, I read somewhere that Bear Grylls drove to Camp 1 in a mitsubishi
If training costs are an issue, then why not use the Brentwood Ski Centre.
If you explain your plans, they might let you train after closing time for a reduced rate, if you promise to advertise them in your documentary of the ascent. You are doing a docu aren't you?
In reply to barneythevelociraptor: we are doing it in these dats as we can get enough training in before hand x
In reply to almost sane: we havent planned properly but am sure we will x
> (In reply to almost sane) we cant get the funding needed if we are a guided expo.

You obviously didn't click on the link...

In reply to almost sane: yerrh i did and your a joke
Pursued by a bear - on 20 May 2012
In reply to Climbing2013: I'm afraid you'll never do it.

I've booked the whole mountain, both sides, all year for my attempt. I plan on being the first person to climb the mountain by spacehopper. If time allows, and it should, I'll go on to reclimb the mountain whilst singing golden earring's greatest hits. In French. Backwards.

T.
In reply to almost sane: oh no no no, a pair of b3's is definitely what you need. if you dont have a pair of b3's you'll die.
If money is tight, then why not just climb to the top of the Brentwood Ski Centre 1,000 times. That will be more or less the same as climbing Everest (you can do the maths to get a more exact number), you would save a fortune on travel costs, and your carbon footprint would be a lot smaller.
Good news all round.
In reply to Climbing2013: you're
JoshOvki on 20 May 2012
In reply to almost sane:

I have a bit more of a stream lined way of doing it.

1> Get to Everest Base Camp, hire a Sherpa to carry you there.
2> Follow the long queue of people walking up it
3> Follow the same long queue back down
Petarghh - on 20 May 2012
In reply to Climbing2013: This is my new favourite thing :)
blob737 - on 20 May 2012
In reply to Pursued by a bear: i race for brentwood park slalom team (brentwood ski center) so if needed i might be able to sort something there
In reply to eschaton:
> (In reply to almost sane) oh no no no, a pair of b3's is definitely what you need. if you dont have a pair of b3's you'll die.

Everest is the biggest mountain. So would you not need B4s?
ads.ukclimbing.com
In reply to JoshOvki:

You are obviously a Himalayan veteran!
In reply to almost sane: My manager did it in approach shoes - he just gaffer taped a spork underneath each one and did a lot of manning up
JoshOvki on 20 May 2012
In reply to almost sane:

It is going to be cold, these are what are needed!

http://outsidemagazine.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83453140969e2016301d5f8b0970d-580wi

But you have to do the walk in in them too, to wear them in. I tried it once, but I my navigational skills are not too good and ended up in Scotland
In reply to almost sane: wouldn't diamox be more appropriate?
frazzy4 - on 20 May 2012
In reply to almost sane: B4's are rubbish above 40,000ft. They'd be better with a B5
In reply to frazzy4: its 29,000 ft
JoshOvki on 20 May 2012
In reply to frazzy4:

I thought B4s were good up until 42,230.3451034ft (give or take an inch)?
In reply to eschaton:
> (In reply to almost sane) wouldn't diamox be more appropriate?

Diamox will only get you to camp 2. Can you not tell? Its in the name.

You need Triamox for Camp 3 and above.
frazzy4 - on 20 May 2012
In reply to JoshOvki: Only with two pairs of smartwool socks according to the label
almost sane - on 21 May 2012

I never climbed Everest when I was a manager.
Therefore to all these people talking about the climbing exploits of their managers - please forgive me for the lies I told you when I was your boss.
birdie num num - on 21 May 2012
My cousin, Tensing Num Num once pushed a malteaser up to the top of Everest with his nose.
In reply to Pursued by a bear:
> (In reply to Climbing2013) I'm afraid you'll never do it.
>
> I've booked the whole mountain, both sides, all year for my attempt. I plan on being the first person to climb the mountain by spacehopper. If time allows, and it should, I'll go on to reclimb the mountain whilst singing golden earring's greatest hits. In French. Backwards.
>
Could I walk up beside you and make teh first spacehopper descent of Everest?
If I can borrow your spacehopper that would save me some cash.

Thx

PS will you be singing in French backwards as you climb the mountain, or will you climb the mountain backwards whilst singing in French?
Or will you be singing in hcnerF?
It is important you don't raise false expectations, or the sponsors can get upset.
I had terrible problems with one set of sponsors after my successful attempt to jump from the Empire State Building without a parachute. I tried to explain that the front door was in fact part of the Empire State Building, but they still demanded their money back.

In reply to birdie num num:
> (In reply to Climbing2013)
> My cousin, Tensing Num Num once pushed a malteaser up to the top of Everest with his nose.

Does he have a brother called Re Laksing?
mysterion on 21 May 2012

If money is tight, simply climb into an old-style fridge with locking door and hope for the best.
professionalwreckhead - on 21 May 2012

I'm up for this.

My brother has a Vango sleeping bag i can borrow which says the extreme temperature range is -37. I assume this will be ok? He paid 39 (in the Blacks sale) so presumably it's designed for exped?

Also, what will the weather be like?
koolkat - on 21 May 2012
In reply to Climbing2013: can i come to iam over 22 :-( but i do have plenty of books on everest and i thought if i took them a long we could make a staircase with them may make it a bit easier , unless of course its windy or snowy but we could wait till the weather was fine
alooker - on 21 May 2012
In reply to John W: mountain spirit would definitely be up for this, as long as he can get his 5+ project down the local wall done and a couple of classic north face routes done
mypyrex - on 21 May 2012
In reply to Climbing2013: You definitely need an Old Fart to give you some much needed advice along the way. As I've summited Kala Pattar and looked at Everest from there and I'm 66 I your man.
Al Randall on 21 May 2012
In reply to Climbing2013: Have you looked at the costs? I think that it would be very difficult to raise the funds, get the permits and plan the trip in 12 months.

Al
Raymond Reyes - on 21 May 2012
In reply to Climbing2013: If you've never sumitted K2 before, I highly recommend partnering with some local guides. Most of my closest friends here are guides (i currently live in Nepal) and they keep telling me each year it just gets harder and harder with the weather being so unpredictable, currently 4 fatalities this year, 4 currently missing, the weather has been really bad for summitting this season. Also someone mentioned the cost, that will be equally hard to do, i think its like $20,000.00 permit, i think...
Goodluck!!
ads.ukclimbing.com
Rodger Bramham on 21 May 2012
> Me and my climbing partner are looking to climb everest in august 2013. We are going to be in a group of under 22's to climb everest unguided.and are looking for people with tips, or who are interested in joining the group. Preferably in the essex area as we can train together then. if not its not a problem....

Good luck with above guys

I was hoping to be the first to do it with a sit start but my mate Dave put me off - said it was really polished - looking for another project now ... any suggestions, bearing in mind I'm 68 tomorrow?
Kane L. - on 21 May 2012
In reply to Climbing2013: I would have loved to but my highest summit is 700 feet, don't want to jump a couple thousand with my next one.
Wishing you a successful summit and an even better descent.
professionalwreckhead - on 21 May 2012
In reply to Rodger Bramham:
> (In reply to Climbing2013)
> [...]
>
>
>
> I was hoping to be the first to do it with a sit start but my mate Dave put me off - said it was really polished - looking for another project now ... any suggestions, bearing in mind I'm 68 tomorrow?

Don't worry, someone plans to bolt it. Should be fine, even in the wet.

rwlittle - on 22 May 2012
I'm happy tp sponsor you 100 plus 20 towards the coffin when they fly you back.
scrufff on 22 May 2012 - mbp.gr.esol.dur.ac.uk

Has he left already? I'll have to wait for the group of 23yos now
chris fox on 22 May 2012

Why not warm up with a few ascents of Essex girls, i hear the are easy to get on-top of !

Unfortunately i'm a spritely 39 and will be 40 come the monsoon of 2013. I've a friend at Buddha air who will probably give you a discount on returning your coffin as far as Kathmandu, but you'll have to pay upfront, i doubt you'll be carrying any dollars in your down suits.
AdCo82 on 22 May 2012
In reply to Climbing2013: I am going to do it next Easter.....dressed as a chicken!!!

Sounds to me like your trip will be a disaster!!!
colina - on 22 May 2012
In reply to barneythevelociraptor:
> (In reply to Climbing2013) You can drive to Eygpt - Just go via Turkey. IN fact you can drive to Nepal, I read somewhere that Bear Grylls drove to Camp 1 in a mitsubishi.

no it was a vauxhall frontera

mgco3 - on 22 May 2012
In reply to Climbing2013: I would love to come but the wife says she would divorce me.. mmm! Let me think about that one...
GrendeI on 22 May 2012
In reply to professionalwreckhead:
> (In reply to Rodger Bramham)
> [...]
>
>
> Don't worry, someone plans to bolt it. Should be fine, even in the wet.

Its a limestone crag so is fair game for drills ;)
Climbing2013 on 28 May 2012 - cpc3-basl10-2-0-cust242.basl.cable.virginmedia.com
In reply to professionalwreckhead: yes we are getting all equipment through sponsors.... x
Climbing2013 on 28 May 2012 - cpc3-basl10-2-0-cust242.basl.cable.virginmedia.com
In reply to mypyrex: what advice do you have x
In reply to Raymond Reyes: yerh its only that expensive if you use guides x
Nigel Modern on 28 May 2012
In reply to Climbing2013: Oh dear! This reminds me of a thread in about 2004...went on for weeks. I think you probably know how to spell Tryfan though...(see aforementioned thread)

Be careful, be prepared

If others question what you are doing and why it is because they care

Be sure of why you are doing it

Seriously consider other just as interesting, satisfying and less dangerous projects (but saying this is likely to make you more determined...ask yourself why?)
mark s - on 28 May 2012
In reply to Climbing2013: not me ,ive just looked on a site.32,000 for the privalidge of joining a que.
8,000 can get you on k2
Sean Kelly - on 28 May 2012
In reply to Climbing2013: You don't display any evidence of your past experience that would be pertinent and useful on your profile. For example, what have you done .....on Grit?
Goucho on 28 May 2012
In reply to Climbing2013: Tell you what I'm prepared to completely fund your entire trip.

The only condition is that I can send a film crew to film it.

Got a feeling I could be onto something bigger at the box office than Borat!
sleavesley on 28 May 2012
In reply to Climbing2013: I have a copy of Russell Brice's expedition to Everest 'Everest - Beyond the limit'. Which may help you recognise certain features of Everest if doing it from the Chinese side. 7 Posted.

I'm sure I can find further literature if pushed.

I hope you do the North East Ridge up and down or a complete traverse over Lhotse as well in one push.
A few clif bars will see you through and I have it on good authority that you can snow hole on the North East ridge as well, so you can save some weight in not carrying a tent.

Are you planning a siege attempt or going alpine style?
Take marzipan too - its like a currency out there and backs up for instant energy if you have eaten all of your clif bars.
Climbing2013 on 02 Jun 2012 - cpc3-basl10-2-0-cust242.basl.cable.virginmedia.com
In reply to Goucho: can you email me please
highclimber - on 02 Jun 2012
In reply to Climbing2013: I think I might be interested in going up Everest as the first man to do it naked. do you think I'll make it to the top wearing my birthday suit? I'll probably put a sock on my penis as frostbite to those regions, or so i've heard, is not generally recommended.
ads.ukclimbing.com
What Goes Up - on 02 Jun 2012
In reply to Climbing2013: Nice one guys - sounds like a win-win to me! Can I come to the premier? Sadly if you're climbing it in August you'll have missed Cannes for the release but I'm sure it'll still get great coverage.

Best of luck to you both - I'll be rooting for you! Do keep us posted on progress...
Nuddy - on 08 Jun 2012
I'm interested, I've got 1000, will that be enough?
Gordon
Goucho on 08 Jun 2012
In reply to Nuddy: More than enough, as the team you are joining won't be getting any further than base camp - in fact you'll be lucky to get that far :-)
unknownclimber6 - on 08 Jun 2012

this would be epic :)
just putting it out there im 20 but stay in glasgow!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.