/ singing rock gear

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
neilnevill on 21 May 2012
Anyone heard of Singing Rock? Or know anything about their ropes? Any good?
Blue Straggler - on 21 May 2012
In reply to neilnevill:

Heard of them, never used them, it'll be fine.
Thelongcon - on 21 May 2012
In reply to neilnevill:

No ide about their ropes, seen a few whippers taken onto their harnesses and they were fine. Chalk bags looked pretty alright too.
r0x0r.wolfo - on 21 May 2012
In reply to neilnevill: I got mine for trade price, around 50ish. Good rope. Still around like 3/4 years later, but getting a bit furry now :).
jimtitt - on 22 May 2012
In reply to neilnevill:
Made by Tendon (Lanex). Ive used them for years so yes they are good.
AlanLittle - on 22 May 2012
In reply to neilnevill:

Czech company. Not seen the ropes, but their harnesses are quite widely used over here (Bavaria) and seem fine. Used a lot as hire gear by walls and groups, which would tend to indicate a good price/durability ratio. My wife has one, seems happy with it and it hasn't broken.
cb294 - on 22 May 2012
In reply to neilnevill:

The ropes are made by tendon in the Czech Republic, who apparently also make the cheaper beal and edelrid ropes, so in principle they know what they are doing.

That said, a few years ago I had a cheapo tendon rope which I wore out in one indoor season, so overall it did not come cheaper than using an expensive, quality rope for longer (back to the pricier, made in Germany edelrid variety).

The harnesses and other hardware are quite good, though, and singing rock is one of the largest companies in Europe for altitude work safety equipment.

CB
Monk - on 22 May 2012
In reply to neilnevill:

As others have said, Singing Rock have been around for ages. I bought a load of their harnesses for our club ages ago, and they lasted really well.

I was going to guess that their ropes were made by Lanex (it's quite common to do that), and others have confirmed. My sport rope is a lanex, and I have no complaints.
jimtitt - on 22 May 2012
In reply to Monk:
> (In reply to neilnevill)
>
> As others have said, Singing Rock have been around for ages. I bought a load of their harnesses for our club ages ago, and they lasted really well.
>
> I was going to guess that their ropes were made by Lanex (it's quite common to do that), and others have confirmed. My sport rope is a lanex, and I have no complaints.

Singing Rock is part of the Lanex group so not suprisingly they sell their ropes! Lanex sell under their own brand of Tendon and under the Singing Rock brand as well. They are also owners of Raveltik on the hardware side.
ads.ukclimbing.com
neilnevill on 22 May 2012
In reply to jimtitt:
cheers for the info. I'd not heard of them, but I have heard of tendon. I don't need a new rope currently, but I happened to stumble/web surf across a singing rock duran rope. at 69 g/m and 10.4mm its a basic, thick, heavy single, nothing exciting, but at 60 quid for 60m it seemed outstandingly cheap. I think I will keep it in mind, next time I need a 30m wall rope I might get one of these and share half of it with someone else.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.