/ Gear advice for Norway

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Totally-Normal - on 23 May 2012
-Wasn't really sure where to put this so apologies if its in the wrong place- perhaps I should have put it in "starting out"?

I've been on ukc for a little while now and have been trying to be a sponge absorbing advice and tips in preparation for my first (hopefully of many) expeditions. Basically I'm going to northern Norway, so there will be a little ice around but temperatures not that low- it'll probably be a bit like early/late Scottish winter.

So the primary question I want to ask is has anyone been to Finmark in the summer and has any advice for kit/ tips for general expedition life that I may not have thought about?

Also a cheeky plug but we are running a blog, we are all new to the blogging world and have noticed a few users on here have one, so any pointers on how to improve it would be great: http://noklaninthearctic.com/

Thanks.
In reply to taylorct: Not to Finnmark, but have been just around the corner to Lyngen and the Tromsø Fastland area.

Finnmark is mainly I believe open moorland and rolling fjells, I suspect there won't be much snow around at all, some patches are likely but inland Lapland looses most of its snow.

What are you doing there?
Totally-Normal - on 23 May 2012
In reply to taylorct: More specifically we are going to Øksfjord, there is a couple of small ice caps/glaciers. Mostly we are doing general trekking with a bit of climbing here and there but also some scientific research.
GrendeI on 23 May 2012
In reply to taylorct:

Climate will vary from stonking hot, humid, full of ants, black flies, horse flies and some of the most vicious mosquitos that will eat you through a waterproof to freezing cold with bitter winds at high elevation (I assume you have plans to mooch about Øksfjordjøkelen?), or dull generic rain... endless endless rain, but probably no snow.

Early Scottish Winter is an exaggeration, not even Svalbard gets like that in summer, average temp will probably be around 15 degrees.

You will have to prepare for all these, but the generic UK walking clothing and equipment will be perfectly adequate.

Exped tips... Dry socks, bog roll, wetwipes and merino.

Also get really familiar with the terrain; I guess you've come across this? http://geo.ngu.no/kart/arealisNGU/

In reply to taylorct:
> Mostly we are doing general trekking with a bit of climbing here and there but also some scientific research.

BSES? Our scientific research mainly revolved around getting shat on by geese, and staring endlessly at arctic hares through binos whilst gossiping about who smelt the worse, who was getting off with who, and who wanted to get off with who. Darwin, eat your heart out.

Totally-Normal - on 24 May 2012
In reply to taylorct: It appears that some of the information I've been given may be erring on the side of caution then... Fortunately our scientific aim is to study how fast the glaciers have retreated- lichens and also a few other things, so I hope that we should get something productive done.
TOS on 24 May 2012 - 52ob.scansafe.net
In reply to TobyA:
> (In reply to taylorct)
> [...]
>
> Our scientific research mainly revolved around getting shat on by geese

on that note, I would add, if you see one of these; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parasitic_Jaeger

Give it a wide berth....

Other than that, insect repellent and a mossie net are items I'd take.

Water treatment or filter would also be useful.
In reply to taylorct:

"Expeditions" to the country with the highest standard of living in the world always struck me as a bit odd!

Chris

PS I'd recommend good quality boots and waterproofs plus mozzie repellent/nets
In reply to Gaupa:

> on that note, I would add, if you see one of these; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parasitic_Jaeger
>
> Give it a wide berth....

They don't give you a wide berth though! Aggressive buggers as I remember.

> Water treatment or filter would also be useful.

Someone was asking on another thread whether they can drink water from streams on Lofoten. Do you live up that way? What would you say?
In reply to Chris Craggs:

> "Expeditions" to the country with the highest standard of living in the world always struck me as a bit odd!

There's plenty of space up there Chris. Thinking about it I've spent weeks in northern Norway without meeting more than a handful of locals, easily enough done.
In reply to TobyA:
> (In reply to Chris Craggs)
>
> [...]
>
> There's plenty of space up there Chris. Thinking about it I've spent weeks in northern Norway without meeting more than a handful of locals, easily enough done.

Indeed - and it is a fantastic part of the world, but 'expedition' makes me think of hot sweaty jungle, pack-ice or burning deserts and not a petrol station, camping cabin or cafe within a weeks march!

Chris
Totally-Normal - on 24 May 2012
In reply to Chris Craggs: I dont think its quite like that- normally BSES go to Svalbard but I think they were reluctant to after last years events. Although some of the "expeditions" other companies offer- world challenge *cough* are pretty much like a holiday with a bit of camping thrown in to excuse the crazy high price. So there are some "expeditions" that can be no means be justified to call themselves such.
TOS on 24 May 2012 - 10.194.33.5 [82.132.214.82]
In reply to TobyA:

Don't laugh, but the water 'problem' is (or was) due to dead lemmings(!)

Last year there was a huge population of them, and dead lemmings were turning up everywhere, and dead lemmings in the water was the reason behind the advice.
The problem was so bad, one of the airports (Narvik I think?) had a team of 12 people to sweep dead lemmings off the runway (!?!).

In reply to your question, I'd describe myself as a (very) frequent visitor, soon to be resident.

In reply to Gaupa:

> Don't laugh, but the water 'problem' is (or was) due to dead lemmings(!)

Not laughing at all - I know it can be a real problem in the arctic sometimes. We were warned about it when I went to Greenland, but that turned out to be a low lemming year.
GrendeI on 24 May 2012
In reply to TobyA: Vicious MF's the lot of um...

http://www.vg.no/nyheter/innenriks/artikkel.php?artid=10094139

In reply to earlier posters: High standard of living... whatever, I always boil water I will use in large quantities, small amounts from streams or whatever is fine, but it either sits in stagnant water bodies on the top of mountains or flows downstream from them.

And I have to say after last years fiasco, its a good job bses are in Finnmark.
ads.ukclimbing.com
johnhowell - on 24 May 2012
In reply to Chris Craggs: When I was 18 we considered a trip to Scotland as a major expedition, so I wouldn't be too snobby ;-)
Having said that you are absolutely right, Finnmark in July = insect repellent, more insect repellent, a good set of water proofs and some more insect repellent.
To the OP - have an awesome trip, its a beautiful part of the World that not many people get to see. FYI Oslo is closer to Lands End than Nord Kapp

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.