/ Running with a collie in the heat

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
peas65 - on 24 May 2012
Hi Folks,

Just wondering, this is our collies first bit of hot weather, he is mostly sleeping all the time and swimming when possible! I want to go running later on, around wish when cooler, will he be ok running in this heat?
The plan is to just to 5miles or so, not too hilly and near a river so he can swim a bit to cool down.

As he is a collie and will do anything, does this sound ok or would i be better leaving him at home?

Thanks
IainRUK - on 24 May 2012
In reply to peas65: Mine runs with me. But she struggles, just hangs back.. I avoid too long on ridges but otherwise Ok, when its very hot they will seak moisture, ditches etc to lie down..
peas65 - on 24 May 2012
In reply to IainRUK:

Thanks, he will do anything we want so i didn't want to flog him too hard in this heat if its not good for him.
Orgsm on 24 May 2012
In reply to peas65:

First read this as running with a collie on heat....
peas65 - on 24 May 2012
In reply to A Game of Chance:

ha, hopefully not as he is male!
ollieollie - on 24 May 2012
In reply to peas65: first hot weather, how old is he?
peas65 - on 24 May 2012
In reply to ollieollie:

Well he is a year but we only got him in september so its his/our first experience. Also it was a pretty rubbish summer last year!
ollieollie - on 24 May 2012
In reply to peas65: maybe a little shorter as its so hot? he's still only a little one remember
Gwain - on 25 May 2012
In reply to peas65: Hi, should be ok with water/ swim breaks. I know collies that would collapse rather than stop having fun, especially in the heat.
peas65 - on 25 May 2012
In reply to Gwain:

Thanks,

Took him out in the end with a swim in the beck halfway. Think i was more affected by the heat!
victorclimber - on 25 May 2012
In reply to peas65: when Joss Naylor ran the Pennine Way his Collie went with him ,could have been a mates ,and it ran the whole way ,had a rest when they got to the end and wanted a walk after a couple of hrs .on ly thing wrong with it was the pads on its feet were a little sore,so I think your Collie would be fine ...
Padraig on 26 May 2012
In reply to peas65:
Thought this was interesting....
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-18218878
highclimber - on 26 May 2012
In reply to peas65: collies (long haired ones) will probably overheat very quickly in this heat. their fur is quite water repellent and even dunking them doesn't get them that wet to offer much in the way of cooling. That said collies are reknowned for their ability to run and will probably drop dead rather than stop for a breather!
ads.ukclimbing.com
noviceclimber - on 26 May 2012
In reply to peas65: I used to be a vet and on several occasions treated dogs, mostly working collies, which had run themselves into heat exhaustion/heat stroke. This can be life threatening. Remember your dog cannot sweat to lose heat, just pant. Your dog needs plenty of opportunities to rehydrate, just like you do, and as he will be running in his fur coat will need to cool down in water. If he is lagging behind, he is already suffering in the heat so stop running.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.