/ Yorkshire grit trad for hot days

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Will Hunt - on 26 May 2012
The criteria:
Somewhere shaded or Northerly facing to keep the heat down.
Somewhere towards the Yorkshire Dales direction
Plenty of stuff to go at between VS and E1/E2

Any ideas? I'm struggling!
In reply to Will Hunt:
Does Eavestone fit the bill?
andy - on 26 May 2012
In reply to Will Hunt: Simon's Seat - high up and reasonably cool.
samthom - on 26 May 2012
In reply to Will Hunt: Almscliffe/Ilkley? rocky valley at ilkley has good shade. Both are green mind.
In reply to Will Hunt:
Come on Sam, lets use our imaginations a bit. I'm a bit tired of those crags. Doesn't Simon's Seat face away from the sun though?
In reply to Will Hunt: Sorry if that came across as arsey, Sam, just think I've climbed most things of quality in that grade range at those crags. Will have to try harder in future I suppose!
In reply to Will Hunt:

Rylstone if you are an early starter, Earl Crag if not. Caley if you are short of time.

Chris
In reply to Chris Craggs:
I know its very fussy but the guy I'm going with and I have been to Rylstone together several times and we'd rather have a change of scene. I know I know, having cake and eating it. Any other suggestions?
Offwidth - on 26 May 2012
In reply to Will Hunt: Guiscliffe??
a lakeland climber on 26 May 2012
In reply to Will Hunt:

Grit in this heat? Get on to the mountain crags.

If you must then Simon's Seat has stuff in and out of the shade. Earl Crag faces north but is quite a bit lower.

I'd head to the Lakes.

ALC
In reply to Will Hunt:
Lakes next weekend innit. Cheers Liz.

Guisecliff looks perfect. I will see what my mate says, thanks folks.
In reply to Will Hunt:
> (In reply to Will Hunt)
> Lakes next weekend innit. Cheers Liz.
>
> Guisecliff looks perfect. I will see what my mate says, thanks folks.

Unless it has changed going to Guisecliff will be wasting a day! Comet Wall and North Wall Eliminate are/were good but most of the crag has always been 'orrid.

I suggest Rylstone as didn't mention it in your original query - how's a man to know?

Chris
craig h - on 26 May 2012
In reply to Offwidth:
> (In reply to Will Hunt) Guiscliffe??

My first thoughts :) You'll usually find something in the shade at Brimham Rocks and as said prior Simons Seat and possibly Lords Seat may be a good option.
Will Hunt - on 27 May 2012
In reply to Will Hunt:

Eavestone was perfect and an incredibly impressive crag. It like Brimham but EVERYTHING about it is better. Less crowds, nicer rock, nice setting, you don't get lost all the time, less horrific jamming cracks. I could go on.
Simon Caldwell - on 27 May 2012
In reply to Will Hunt:
This may give you an ideas what to expect at Guisecliff
http://yorkalpineclub.org.uk/blogs/?p=2079

What about Brandrith?
PeteH - on 27 May 2012
In reply to Will Hunt:
I would've been worried Eavestone might've been too sheltered and possibly a bit humid with all the trees, but glad to hear it was okay. It is indeed a lovely crag. Great if it's colder and there's a bitter wind blowing at Brimham.

I was at Earl Crag on Friday and it was great with a breeze. Friction felt pretty good, to be honest! It's been so dry lately the rock's not remotely sweaty.

Pete.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.